PDA

View Full Version : Honor Guard

MunkyVsRobot
06-23-11, 06:01 PM
So I was researching how to become an Honor Guard in the Marines, how does one become an honor guard is it something you can volunteer for? Do you need to be an 03? I am assuming it is different from the Silent Drill Platoon.

devilbones2
06-23-11, 06:13 PM
Each Battalion has a color guard. You can volunteer for it. Most of the other Marines wont volunteer.

Apache
06-23-11, 06:14 PM
Define Honor Guard pls

As for Silent Drill
You need to be an outstanding Marine selected by your chain of command
To be selected for a trial at this post

MOS dosent make or break you

If you ever do visit 8th &I -be sure to go to. Mess
You won't think you are on a Marine base WOW :p

MunkyVsRobot
06-23-11, 06:22 PM
lol the honor guard thing I might be thinking of is an Army term and an Army thing. My apologies gentlemen.

Tennessee Top
06-23-11, 06:24 PM
Members of the silent drill team are selected at and come from the School of Infantry (SOI).

Like gehrij said, what kind of honor guard are you talking about?

MunkyVsRobot
06-23-11, 06:30 PM
I was watching a thing on Arlington Cemetary (a Nat Geo thing) the ones who watch the tomb of the unknown soldier. I guess I am wondering how you be one of the Marines selected to help help bury Marines.. (Can't think of a good way to put it, do not mean to offend)

MunkyVsRobot
06-23-11, 06:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_guard

This is the best I can find about honor guard. sorry for the double tap the edit feature expired.

Old Marine
06-23-11, 06:45 PM
You must be referring to a Burial Detail or Burial Honor Guard. I have heard it called both.

Tennessee Top
06-23-11, 07:56 PM
The world famous Marine Corps body bearers.

GOOGLE has info and there are a couple youtube videos.

Quinbo
06-23-11, 08:00 PM
I could have sworn I responded to this thread. Weird

Quinbo
06-23-11, 08:01 PM
Amazing but true .... The special burial details for the Marines at Arlington come from Henderson hall or Marine Corps Institute. If you are large and squared away and happen to have an MOS that the first two digits are 01 then you too could be part of such a detail.

Aspire to be part of a color guard. Every battalion, Regiment, division and the whole of the Marine Corps has a color gurard for each respective level.

USNAviator
06-23-11, 08:03 PM
I was watching a thing on Arlington Cemetary (a Nat Geo thing) the ones who watch the tomb of the unknown soldier. I guess I am wondering how you be one of the Marines selected to help help bury Marines.. (Can't think of a good way to put it, do not mean to offend)

That's the Army. The Old Guard, 3rd Inf Regiment. Most impressive if you get a chance to see them in person

Old Marine
06-23-11, 08:26 PM
During the 3 years I was on I&I Duty the I&I Staff participated in many Marine burials.

Tennessee Top
06-23-11, 08:31 PM
Amazing but true .... The special burial details for the Marines at Arlington come from Henderson hall or Marine Corps Institute. If you are large and squared away and happen to have an MOS that the first two digits are 01 then you too could be part of such a detail.

Aspire to be part of a color guard. Every battalion, Regiment, division and the whole of the Marine Corps has a color gurard for each respective level.

Info I read said they are at 8th & I and come from the infantry not administration (and I doubt they work at MCI either as much training and burials they do...when would they have the time?).

Quinbo
06-23-11, 09:18 PM
Info I read said they are at 8th & I and come from the infantry not administration (and I doubt they work at MCI either as much training and burials they do...when would they have the time?).

Here you go
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/bulkyker/scan0004.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/bulkyker/scan0003.jpg

Not certain I had the time either. Also of note. I have attended a Marines funeral at Arlington and the Marines doing the honor guard were from a combination of Henderson hall (bugler) and MCI. Addionally I have attended a couple of sunset parades at 8th and I and excluding the silent drill platoon the other 3 platoons all came from MCI.

That's the best I can do as far as second hand info goes.:flag: