PDA

View Full Version : important question - feet

zman48
06-23-11, 06:15 AM
First thing is first. This is probably the wrong area, but when I tried posting this where I thought it belonged it said I had insufficient privileges to post in that area, so please excuse the noobness. Another disclaimer, I know this has been discussed before but I never saw the questions I'm about to ask, and the other posts were years old. Anyway down to business. I have a low arch. They aren't fully flat, but regardless I need to wear inserts otherwise my feet hurt. Even when I do wear inserts my feet hurt sometimes. I could muster through the pain, and I know there is nothing like being in the USMC, so through motivation and mental toughness I think I can make it, I'll just suck up the pain. That said I have see a lot of mixed responses. Some said that when talking to a recruiter, don't say you have flat feet, and when they inspect you to shift your weight on the edges of your feet to make it look like your arch is higher than it really is. Then another guy just said that he was honest with the recruiter, and he just said that he would need inserts and he would be alright. I don't really know what path to believe/take, so please help. I've never wanted to do anything as much as be a Marine. I have to be one. Again sorry if this is in the wrong place.

zman48
06-23-11, 06:22 AM
Also, the problem with lieing is that if I make it past the screening, what will I do about my inserts and prescription boots that I've heard about? I know the Navy has prescription boots, but idk if the Marines have them as well.

USNAviator
06-23-11, 06:58 AM
The answer is very simple, tell your recruiter the whole story. It's up to him to take it from there. Don't lie, it will come back and haunt you

Good luck to you

doc h fmf
06-23-11, 07:28 AM
OR YOU CAN JOIN THE NAVY AND BE A CORPMAN. ORIGINALLY I WANTED TO BE AN ARMY MEDIC TO FOLLOW IN MY UNCLES STEPS. ANYWAY TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I HAD THE FATTEST FEET AROUND AND THE NAVY TOOK ME I WAS A CORPMAN DID 7yrs AS A MARINE CORPMAN LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

DONT LIE!!!!!

USNAviator
06-23-11, 07:41 AM
OR YOU CAN JOIN THE NAVY AND BE A CORPMAN. ORIGINALLY I WANTED TO BE AN ARMY MEDIC TO FOLLOW IN MY UNCLES STEPS. ANYWAY TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I HAD THE FATTEST FEET AROUND AND THE NAVY TOOK ME I WAS A CORPMAN DID 7yrs AS A MARINE CORPMAN LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

DONT LIE!!!!!

Fat feet Doc? Are we talking morbidly fat or just Oprah fat? Oh wait a minute that's the same thing :D

YLDNDN6
06-23-11, 08:12 AM
Be 100% truthful with your recruiter as well as the doctor during your physical. If concessions can be made for you, they will be. If not, then thank you for trying. It is impossible to gain a position of honor through dishonorable actions (i.e. being dishonest). Good luck to you, whatever the outcome.

FistFu68
06-23-11, 08:18 AM
:evilgrin: B-up front with The Recruiter from Jump Street,F**k Next thing You know You Flat Feet will Be arched just Right from Tha GRINDER and All tha Humping Your gonna B-Doin and I ain't Talking The HORIZONTAL 1 Either.Have Fun at MCRD and Enjoy Arching those Feet on The YELLOW FOOTPRINTS :thumbup: :iwo:

Tennessee Top
06-23-11, 08:55 AM
Our core values are honor, courage, and committment.

You are expected to do the honorable thing and the truthful.

Good luck.

zman48
06-23-11, 10:32 AM
You guys are right, and lying wouldn't be right. If I wasn't accepted it would be for a god reason. I don't like to lie but I am just really motivated to become a Marine. That said, is it possible to get a waiver with my flat feet and inserts, or am I automatically disqualified, no questions asked?

doc h fmf
06-23-11, 10:37 AM
Ooops Thank You Commander It Should Be The Flattest Feet. Eveyone Would Doc How The Hell Did You Finish The Humps And I Said Iam Your Doc I Have To Be With You> Thank You For Pointing That Out Sir .

Fair Winds And Have A Good Day Sir!!!!

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

FistFu68
06-23-11, 10:40 AM
:evilgrin: Rub up against Tha PECKER CHECKER during Your PHYSICAL and Wink they will Wave Your YoungButt in :beer: :iwo:

USNAviator
06-23-11, 11:10 AM
Ooops Thank You Commander It Should Be The Flattest Feet. Eveyone Would Doc How The Hell Did You Finish The Humps And I Said Iam Your Doc I Have To Be With You> Thank You For Pointing That Out Sir .

Fair Winds And Have A Good Day Sir!!!!

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Damn Doc I was hoping for a great story about fat feet ;)

zman48
06-23-11, 01:33 PM
is it possible to get a waiver with my flat feet and inserts, or am I automatically disqualified, no questions asked? I guess if all else fails I can pursue being a Naval Pilot.

USNAviator
06-23-11, 01:44 PM
is it possible to get a waiver with my flat feet and inserts, or am I automatically disqualified, no questions asked? I guess if all else fails I can pursue being a Naval Pilot.

How about a profile? Site rules. Why not be a Marine pilot?

zman48
06-23-11, 07:09 PM
How about a profile? Site rules. Why not be a Marine pilot?

If I can't become a Marine due to my flat feet then I can't. Also this may be the wrong thing to say in a USMC forum, but I've heard that the USN Pilots are the best in the military. Just what I was told.

Tennessee Top
06-23-11, 07:18 PM
If I can't become a Marine due to my flat feet then I can't. Also this may be the wrong thing to say in a USMC forum, but I've heard that the USN Pilots are the best in the military. Just what I was told.

Did you happen to hear that from a sailor?;)

USNAviator
06-23-11, 07:57 PM

No not really that's just a friendly rivalry. Navy and Marine candidates both go through primary at Pensacola then go separate ways for advanced

The only thing a Naval Aviator does differently is to land on carrier. Some Marines now do that as well.

It takes close to 3 years to train an aviator and you don't start your service commitment until after you earn your wings. So you are looking at at least 10 years of active duty

Good luck no matter what you do

USNAviator
06-23-11, 07:58 PM
Did you happen to hear that from a sailor?;)

Top that's one of the constants of the universe......:D

zman48
06-23-11, 08:27 PM
No not really that's just a friendly rivalry. Navy and Marine candidates both go through primary at Pensacola then go separate ways for advanced

The only thing a Naval Aviator does differently is to land on carrier. Some Marines now do that as well.

It takes close to 3 years to train an aviator and you don't start your service commitment until after you earn your wings. So you are looking at at least 10 years of active duty

Good luck no matter what you do

Which has more flight hours? If I take the aviation path, then flight hours will be a big plus for civilian life. I'm favoring the Marines based off the info you gave me, but it's still unclear if I can even become a Marine, due to my feet.

zman48
06-23-11, 09:55 PM
How hard/common is it to get a field commission? If am am able to go infantry in the Marines, I may keep my options open to doing NROTC, and then go in as an Inf. Officer. The main thing is, I'm not sure if I'll be competent. I don't mean to sound like I have low confidence, but it just seems like a battlefield commission is a more legitimate way. They rose above the weak, but doing NROTC, it could be more possible to be handed a rank that maybe I might just not be competent for. Again it isn't that I don't believe in myself, I just don't want to gamble with mens lives. What is your guys' take on it?

tripledog
06-24-11, 07:34 AM
"If I can't become a Marine due to my flat feet then I can't. Also this may be the wrong thing to say in a USMC forum, but I've heard that the USN Pilots are the best in the military. Just what I was told."

Sorry, with that statement , you voided your real desire to be a Marine. <!-- / message -->

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-11, 11:08 PM
No profile, no further answers. Moved to the proper forum. Start by READING SITE RULES. Deleted until a profile comes up