PDA

View Full Version : Adverse FitReps

Piqua Marine
06-22-11, 12:10 PM
Hello Marines,
I was wanting to know what you knew about adverse fitness reports. I am a Sergeant on recruiting duty, and I got one last reporting period for a low APR. I am going to be done in a couple months, and currently have a successful APR. So from the looks of it, I should not get another one when I leave. What is your advice? Has anyone here gotten one before? Is my career over? I know a successful tour recruiting means a career enhancement, but what of this last fitrep I got? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

hbharrison
06-22-11, 12:19 PM
First of all you need to completely fill out your profile. Then you need to state why you got a low FITREP.

Piqua Marine
06-22-11, 12:41 PM
It was for a low APR.

hbharrison
06-22-11, 01:23 PM
Was this do to you not signing more recruits or someone thinking you did not dp the job as well as you should have? And low was your rating?

Piqua Marine
06-22-11, 02:36 PM
I was one recruit below the standard.

hbharrison
06-22-11, 07:09 PM
Sounds like your Co is a arz but I don't think that should be a problem in the future duty stations you may go to can nt sign people that do not want to do so.

haebyungdae
06-23-11, 12:41 AM
It is always possible to recover from an adverse fitrep, but it will most likely require a lot of work from yourself in beefing up all fitreps that come after it. Since you got the one adverse all subsequent need to be spot on and try to have multiple commendatory fitreps. Commendatory fitreps are quite easy to come by as all you need at minimum is an LOA during that reporting period. If you have not yet gone to Sergeant's Course go and try to achieve recognition there (honor or distinguished graduate, or the Gung Ho Award), complete the SNCO non-resident PME, pursue some off-duty education, try to get an extra billet at your command, etc. All of those things will get you rated higher on your fitreps and will show that the one adverse fitrep is not you.

Seems kinda shi tty to me that they would give you an adverse for following one below the standard unless there are other behavior or work habits that they see as a problem. If that were the only thing present that was adverse I would have appealed it as slightly below the standard may be below average, but hardly should rate adverse proficiency. Then again that is a problem because some reporting seniors believe that a B mark is average, the standard, which allows no room to rate a Marine as below average other than giving them an adverse fitrep which is not productive at all and may only serve to de-motivate some.

hussaf
06-23-11, 02:37 AM
Unless there are other circumstances in this situation, you definately should appeal this. You can't get an adverse FITREP without some kind of paperwork done, a 6505 page 11 entry (is that the right number?), multiple documented councelings, etc. Per the Marine Corps Order (don't know which one, we just went over this two days ago), you have the right to perform corrective action on a deficiency. Your RS needs to counsel you once a month, or as close to that as possible, to identify positives and negatives in your performance and profesisonalism. Say if you have a reporting period of 11 months, with 10 months of solid D or E block ratings, then have one month of C or B level ratings, your FITREP shouldn't reflect an entire 11 months of performance comensurate with a C or B on your FITREP.

Being in the Marine Corps for ten years, if it were me I would have given you a written counseling...which is a non-permanent document used during a reporting period to establish a continuation of deficiences...so, for example, if you get multiple counselings for the same deficiency you get a negative page 11 entry.

Things like DUI, sexual assault/harrassment, punching a Colonel....these things Pass Go and head straight to Adverse FITREP.

haebyungdae
06-23-11, 06:49 AM
The number is 6105 and it's a page 11 SRB entry that states if you mess up in the same way a couple more times they might NJP you.

The reference for any information related to fitreps would be the PES manual MCO P1610.7. Adverse and Appeals are contained in chapter 5.

The PES Manual states that "A failure to accomplish job assignments or meet established standards" (5001.3.d.(11).(a)) is grounds for an adverse fitrep and does not stipulate the need for written, formal or informal, counseling(s). So with that wording in the PES, it might be difficult to get an appeal. The appeal, to include a rebuttal to whatever your the RS wrote as directed comments, would have to be well written and proving your case beyond a doubt.

Piqua Marine
06-23-11, 12:58 PM
It just so happened that I was below the standard when the fitrep was done. There were a couple of us that all got hit with this. I guess I have some work to do then. I plan on making this a career.

ssgtblue
06-24-11, 07:33 AM
Ok- where is the Admin people in hear.

I know that there is a way to have them pulled from your SRB. HQMC will do it. I cant remember the section that dose it up there but I know they do it. I had a gunny buddy pull one of his before going to the Master Sgt. board. So it can be done. I will get back to you on this one. Need to send some email's out.

Blue

ssgtblue
06-24-11, 07:43 AM
Sent an email a good buddy of mine that is a Master Gunz. Sure he will know what to do about it.

haebyungdae
06-24-11, 09:01 AM
MCO 1610.11 deals with Performance Evaluation Appeals (this is the subject line) and contains all information you would need to process an appeal. And, includes the standard form required to be submitted to BCNR (Board for Correction of Naval Records) for processing. As for advice or examples I'm not sure where they could be found as you would need to find someone with first hand experience in appealing a fitrep. Hope this helps.

Tennessee Top
12-03-13, 07:54 AM
You can recover from it. Had a bad period while I was going through my divorce (ex left me for Jody while I was in OKI). Was seeing the chaplain, had to vacate base housing and move into a studio apartment out in San Clemente, etc. The reporting officer did not take any of this into consideration when he wrote the adverse fitrep. I submitted a written rebuttal with it explaining the situation. As far as I could tell, it didn't slow down my promotion to the next grade any. Good luck.

SGT7477
12-04-13, 03:54 PM
Jody should be shot,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Kegler300
12-04-13, 05:06 PM
How many months was your APR based on? I can't see getting an adverse fitrep for not making mission for just one month. Anyway, if you make it out of recruiting duty alive, it's still a feather in your cap.