surviving spouse. To download this form travel to URL

http://www.members.aol.com/forvets/htomr.htm

http://www.amervets.com/replacement/other.htm

Sempers,

Roger

Sophora
08-22-02, 09:16 PM
Roger,

Does it have to be primary next of kin (spouse) or can a child apply for it? Dad's entitled to the Korean War Service Medal, but the app can only be submitted by PNOK. I don't want to read on another honor dad earned, if I'll be bummed if I can't get it for him. Sorry, I know that sounds like a cop out to avoid looking.

thedrifter
08-22-02, 09:30 PM
Will check it out for you....but you should be able to obtain it....
Will get back with you on that.....

Sempers,

Roger

DELTA2ALPHA
08-24-02, 12:04 AM
Also same SECNAVINST.1650 authorizes RVN Civil Actions Unit Citation ribbon for same periods to all in country personal.

Check out pages 7/11-12 at

http://neds.nebt.dpds.mil/Directives/1650/seven.pdf

USMC0311
08-24-02, 07:21 AM
heres another ya might not know about It is the Vietnam PUC.
If ya rate a USA PUC the VN PUC is presented for same actions/criteria http://www.navalhelicopterassn.org/medsribs/rib48.htm
heres is a list of Medals/awards and criteria
http://www.navalhelicopterassn.org/medsribs/medals.htm

Laamie
09-02-02, 11:30 AM
If being awarded the PUC, we than are qualifed for the Vietnamese PUC? Did not the Vietnam government have to award their PUC to a specific unit. I received the American PUC while being assigned to 1st MAW over a specific period of time. No metion of the Vietnamese PUC awrded to this unit over the same period of time.

The Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was established in 1987. Does or is this backdated to include the Vietnam era? Being in_country 13 months, does this meet the criteria for the award? If being awarded the Vietnamese Service Medal, does that award superceed the Oversears Service Ribbon (not stated under either criteria)?

I won't wear a ribbon 'til it is so stated on my DD-215. It does give me a specific award(s) I can inquire about in corospondece with either/or HQMC-Awards & Medals Branch and/or the St. Louis address.

S/F,
Dick

Sparrowhawk
09-02-02, 12:23 PM
Almost time for us to take that trip up that mountain?

This is the first time I heard of this ribbon, here's what I have listed on my dd214.

http://vietnamdiary.bizland.com/RibbonsCook.gif

If I have two bronze stars on my PUC, does that mean I would have just as many stars on the Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation?

LOL

http://www.navalhelicopterassn.org/medsribs/med48.gif

Laamie
09-03-02, 08:55 AM
The 14th, Duncan will be driving in from Moorepark. The rest of the time is open for me (hint, hint). I'll be staying at the Town & Country Hotel, which is near Mission Valley/ Fashion Valley & also known as Hotel Circle.

My flight arrives on the 11th around 1230 (a nooner bro), Flight 1855, United Airlines.

I will be going to the Deanza Trailer Park even if I have to low crawl all the way.

S/F,
Dick

Sparrowhawk
09-03-02, 09:38 AM
Make sure you register with your real name....

I know the place quite well. Got marrried there and have enjoyed some great times with Marines there at <b>Charlies's</b> a great place to eat, on the site. They have four/five mini-burgers for about a buck and beer on ice from the tub for a buck till about 7PM. Its sort of a sports bar, with pool table, giant screen TV, etc.

Nice place for families to eat, meet with folks and the waitress there (redhead) don't member her name, is good-to-go! LOL

I don't have any plans for those days, so might be able to make it. With six women in this household, can never tell what comes up. It would be good to meet you....

SF

Cook

Laamie
09-03-02, 09:59 AM
e-mail me your telephone &/or pager number. Do I need to bring my photo alblums (may have photos you want for book)?

I haven't had a beer in over 14 years, I'll be a cheap dunk!

S/F,
Dick

jinelson
05-04-07, 08:22 AM
Nam Vets up! Bumped for those who werent around then.

Jim

davblay
05-04-07, 09:03 AM
If being awarded the PUC, we than are qualifed for the Vietnamese PUC? Did not the Vietnam government have to award their PUC to a specific unit. I received the American PUC while being assigned to 1st MAW over a specific period of time. No metion of the Vietnamese PUC awrded to this unit over the same period of time.

The Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was established in 1987. Does or is this backdated to include the Vietnam era? Being in_country 13 months, does this meet the criteria for the award? If being awarded the Vietnamese Service Medal, does that award superceed the Oversears Service Ribbon (not stated under either criteria)?

I won't wear a ribbon 'til it is so stated on my DD-215. It does give me a specific award(s) I can inquire about in corospondece with either/or HQMC-Awards & Medals Branch and/or the St. Louis address.

S/F,
Dick

Just Found this on Google:

Effective Dates
The Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was made retroactive to August 15, 1974.
Qualifying service performed between August 15, 1974 and January 1, 1979 may only be credited toward the initial award of the ribbon; subsequent to January 1, 1979 one award will be granted for each qualifying period.
Criteria
This ribbon is awarded to officers and enlisted personnel of the Navy, Naval Reserve, Marine Corps, and Marine Corps Reserve for 12 months consecutive or accumulated duty at overseas shore-based duty stations.
In the case of inactive reservists, the ribbon is awarded for 30 consecutive or 45 cumulative days of active duty training or temp-orary active duty at overseas stations, including deployed units and units homeported overseas.
An individual cannot receive the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon for the same period, nor can the same period of time be used to earn eligibility for both the Naval Reserve Sea Service Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon.

semperfi170
05-04-07, 10:15 AM
Good info here, thanks.

b2542
05-09-07, 12:48 PM
Top. If not mistaken aren.t the RVN Gallantry Cross and the RVN Civil Action ribbons only.

semperfi170
05-09-07, 12:59 PM
If I remember correctly, if they are awarded as a unit award (which means you wear the frame around the ribbon), you do not wear the medal. You would have had to receive the awards as personal to wear the medal. That was the info given to us in DI School in 1973.

b2542
05-09-07, 01:39 PM
That"s what I thought Gunny

Zulu 36
05-09-07, 02:25 PM
If I remember correctly, if they are awarded as a unit award (which means you wear the frame around the ribbon), you do not wear the medal. You would have had to receive the awards as personal to wear the medal. That was the info given to us in DI School in 1973.

This is correct. Also, if the Gallantry Cross was awarded as a personal award, the ribbon is worn without a frame. It is possible to wear both, with and without a frame.

FistFu68
05-09-07, 02:35 PM
:evilgrin: THE R.V.N.CIVAL ACTION MEDAL,MERITORIOUS UNIT AWARD;ALSO WAS AWARDED TO CERTAIN UNIT'S IN A FIRST CLASS,DESIGNATION...THAT WAS EARNED THE HARD WAY,NOT JUST BEING IN COUNTRY!!!:evilgrin: :iwo:

Riven37
01-21-08, 11:41 AM
Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon

Click here to buy this medal/ribbon

a. Authorization. OPNAVNOTE 1650 of 3 June 1987.

b. Eligibility Requirements

(1) General. Awarded to officers and enlisted personnel of the United States Navy, United States Naval Reserve, United States Marine Corps and United States Marine Corps Reserve. Each service has distinct criteria that delineates eligibility; Navy personnel assigned to Marine Corps units follow Marine Corps policy, and vice versa.

(2) Specific

(a) Active Duty Personnel: 12-months consecutive or accumulated duty at overseas shore base duty station.

(b) Inactive Reservists: 30 consecutive days or 45 cumulative days of active duty for training, annual training (AT), or TAD at overseas duty stations, including deployed units and units homeported overseas. Travel time and weekend training does not count.

Note: For overseas domiciled Inactive Reservists, 30 consecutive days of AT or IDT must be completed, or a combination of 45 cumulative days of AT or IDT in a billet with an established Overseas Naval Reserve Unit or as a member of the Overseas Peacetime (Contributory) Support Program (for accounting purposes, two IDT periods equal 1 day of AT).

(c) Overseas is defined as duty outside the United States (Mainland Alaska and Hawaii are not eligible duty stations) at shore base commands. Service in Adak, Alaska does qualify. For active duty personnel, duty on board CONUS-based, deploying ships, squadrons, units or with the FMF does not qualify.

(3) Initial and subsequent awards. Qualifying service performed between 15 August 1974 and 1 January 1979 will be credited only toward the initial award of the ribbon. Subsequent to 1 January 1979, one award for each qualifying period.

(4) Restrictions and Waivers. An individual cannot receive the SSDR and OSR for the same period if stationed at a Marine Corps Unit; overseas Navy commands may receive both awards after 01 October 1999. In addition, the same period of time cannot be used to earn eligibility for both the Naval Reserve Sea Service Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon.

(5) For active duty personnel not more than 14-days may be waived. For inactive reservists - no waiver. For posthumous awards, the time requirements may be waived by CNO/CMC in posthumous cases on a case by case basis.

(6) Personnel serving with the FMF, regular or reserve, do not qualify for this award.

(7) Awarding Authority. Commanding officers.

(8) Subsequent Awards. A 3/16-inch bronze star will denote subsequent awards.

NOTE: Reservists who were recalled to active duty, such as for Operation DESERT STORM, must fulfill requirements for active duty personnel. Any period of more than 90 days is considered active duty.

Riven37
01-21-08, 11:52 AM
:flag: This is on Adobe reader file

Riven37
01-21-08, 11:55 AM
Vietnam Cross Of Gallantry Medal LMC-082P #71
[LMC-082P]

Click to enlarge
All Services. Comes complete with palm.

Criteria: A military decoration of South Vietnam established in August 1950. Awarded to any U.S. military personnel who have accomplished deeds of valor or displayed heroic conduct while fighting an enemy force. The medal is issued in four degrees with the basic medal followed by higher degrees the result of personal citations on an organizational level (also known as having been "mentioned in dispatches"). The degrees are as follows: Gallantry Cross with Palm (Individual Award); Gallantry Cross with Bronze Star (Regiment-level or Brigade-level citation); Gallantry Cross with Silver Star (Division-level citation); Gallantry Cross with Gold Star (Corps-level citation). The devices to the Gallantry Cross are not worn simultaneously but instead are upgradeable to the next higher device which would replace the previous device for wear on the decoration. The most common award is the Republic of Vietnam (RVN) Gallantry Cross Medal w/Palm – the individual award version.
:flag:

Riven37
01-21-08, 12:09 PM
Again, its Adobe file open and read other articles of interest too.

sparkie
01-21-08, 06:58 PM
I'm so confused over my ribbons, It's worth it , just to give up. I had palms and stars and crap, Which my DD214 will never know.

greensideout
01-21-08, 07:24 PM
My citation reads, "Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Color". gf

larry warner
02-12-10, 09:48 AM
I didn't know that .Thanks. (Fly) A 1/26 marines vietnam 68-69.

Riven37
02-12-10, 10:06 AM
The Department of the Navy are always changing qualifications for decoration requirements during each new Presidential administration.

ggyoung
02-12-10, 11:04 AM
A lot of these ribbons were to make you and me feel good. Me, I don't like the ribbons from the Vietnamese government. I have a whole lot more respect for the VC and the NVA troops. Damn they were good troops.

FistFu68
02-12-10, 11:21 AM
:evilgrin: I thought the Highest honor by the Gooks was the Bounty and the 3 Regts. they Assigned too paying 3/26 Back 4 Killing so many of the Mutha Fucers.Want Some Catsup with Your Fries Duragliter (lmfao) You Fucing Pogue :D :iwo:

fasteropr
02-12-10, 01:03 PM
I'm like you sparkie but now I have lots of time so I'm not going to give up trying to correct the errors on my DD-214. And folks might think I'm getting picky-and they'd be rite. God only knows how picky inspections were and how many ****ters I cleaned as a result. Now it's my turn. Someone on an earlier post I made regarding a certificate I received while in Nam for Viet Namese Jump Wings cited a MCO which stated that foreign decorations were NOT allowed to be worn on our uniform BECAUSE it was a FOREIGN DECORATION. This award was also awarded by the Vietnamese Govt and IS AUTHORIZED to be worn. Can someone explain the diff to me? The other question is: even if they cannot be worn on my uniform shouldn't they be included on my DD-214?

SgtThrasher
02-12-10, 02:33 PM
Thanks for posting the information Ellie,I've recently discovered the scoop on those awards we Vietnam Veterans rate.There was a article in Leatherneck to send your request to HQMC for the DD215...

fasteropr
02-12-10, 02:37 PM
Sgt, How long you been waiting?

SgtThrasher
02-12-10, 06:10 PM
Sgt, How long you been waiting?

About 3 months since I mailed the request to HQMC. Hurry up and wait must apply ,plus plenty of government red tape.

b2542
02-12-10, 06:21 PM
It took me over a year to hear back from St. Louis. Then not everything was correct on my DD-215

SgtThrasher
02-12-10, 10:27 PM
That's about what I expect to receive too.

Riven37
02-14-10, 06:43 AM
1 <br />
Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Update: <br />
<br />
The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry can be an individual or unit award for bravery in combat. For unit awards the RVN government distinguished between units...

daniel allen
02-14-10, 09:47 AM
Why would the overseas navy/mc medal only retro to 1974? Crazy logic??

daniel allen
02-14-10, 09:50 AM
So.are Vietnam Vets entitled to wear RVN PUC???

daniel allen
02-14-10, 09:56 AM
:evilgrin: THE R.V.N.CIVAL ACTION MEDAL,MERITORIOUS UNIT AWARD;ALSO WAS AWARDED TO CERTAIN UNIT'S IN A FIRST CLASS,DESIGNATION...THAT WAS EARNED THE HARD WAY,NOT JUST BEING IN COUNTRY!!!:evilgrin: :iwo:
what's the difference?

FistFu68
02-14-10, 10:08 AM
:evilgrin: The Ist Class Medal Or Ribbon has 2 Burgandy little stripes down the Middle from top too bottom. Just a Different Designation.Alot of Marines wear it But don't rate the 1ST Class version it was a Medal from the Vietnamese Peeps that's all.But an Honor from Them too Us.:usmc: :iwo:

daniel allen
02-14-10, 10:47 AM
Thanks for response. I looked it up,because DD-215 states I rate it as Scout/interpreter! Semper Fi!!!

ggyoung
02-14-10, 11:24 AM
:evilgrin: The Ist Class Medal Or Ribbon has 2 Burgandy little stripes down the Middle from top too bottom. Just a Different Designation.Alot of Marines wear it But don't rate the 1ST Class version it was a Medal from the Vietnamese Peeps that's all.But an Honor from Them too Us.:usmc: :iwo:

Fist how could it be an Honor from them to us? What would have been a Honor for them is fight for there own country but no they had us as in USA do there fighting for them. There were a few good units that would fight. Vietnam Marines, there army Rangers and thew 1st army division. I have more respect for the VC and NVA than I do for them.

FistFu68
02-14-10, 12:02 PM
:evilgrin: I hear what your saying Sarge,but it wasn't from the ARVNS,If you look at the Medal it was from the South Vietnamese People.Not the Military it was from the Civilians that We left Hanging when We left.Like the Orphans and such.S/F :beer: :iwo:

daniel allen
02-14-10, 03:02 PM
WE didnt leave the people hanging, our govt. did!

FistFu68
02-14-10, 03:56 PM
:evilgrin: I Know that don't need a History Lesson I Was There with My Ass in the Grass :beer: :flag:

daniel allen
02-14-10, 05:11 PM
As long as WE are clear about this!

FistFu68
02-14-10, 05:52 PM
:evilgrin: Whats this We Chit I don't know You from Jack Chit like too keep it that way Savvy :confused: :iwo:

manilalaguna29
02-14-10, 06:44 PM
I believe the ribbon she is talking about is the Vietnam gallantry cross w/palm unit citation. This was awarded to all who served in Vietnam as was the civic action ribbon. The gallantry cross with palm is a different award and was awarded to individuals. No Marines were awarded the Vietnamese Presidential unit citation during the Vietnam war 1961 - 1975.

b2542
02-14-10, 06:48 PM
as far as the RVN PUC goes I believe you can only wear it if you were a member of the US Military advisory Group during the months of Aug - Sept 1954

IGNACIO CASTIL
02-16-10, 12:20 PM
Some of you old jarheads that served in nam in 66-67,there were alot of support units that served with the grunt (mud marines) units.My question is that alot of those units were awarded the CAR.I know that there is a web site that shows all the units that recieved the PUC and NUC.If anybody knows,I would like to hear from you.

Semper FI-----Ignacio

manilalaguna29
02-16-10, 06:49 PM
The CAR is an individual award and was not awarded to units. It wasn't approved until 1969. During the Gulf War and current hostilities, it has been awarded to Navy ships. It can be issued to individuals retroactive to 1941 who meet the criteria.

ggyoung
02-16-10, 07:06 PM
Some units offices were not very good at putting things in ones SRB>

IGNACIO CASTIL
02-17-10, 12:22 AM
Your right that a lot of our ribbons were not put in to our SRB'S.Now we are having a hard time to have them put into our 214.When we went to Nam in 66,we stoped in Okinawa left our entire sea bags there,when we came back 13 months later we were given a complete set of every thing we had in that sea bag.They put on all our ribbons on our greens.35 years later some of those ribbons are not in my 214.I'm 62 years now,where am I going to find some body that served with me in Nam.What a mess.

Riven37
02-17-10, 12:30 AM
You can be in combat and never get the CAR did you know that...same for the PH you can get wounded in combat and never get it...all depends on your unit.

The CAR is an individual award and was not awarded to units. It wasn't approved until 1969. During the Gulf War and current hostilities, it has been awarded to Navy ships. It can be issued to individuals retroactive to 1941 who meet the criteria.

Riven37
02-17-10, 12:40 AM
We relied on one Office Poogie sitting inside the Battalion CP typing up in our SRB's while reading after action reports of the day...how many LT's did you see sitting down writing into his little book after a fire fight I never did, when would he find the time. Most of the time he wrote things down long after coming back in, hours later, memories from the human mind are unreliable ever 30 minuets, the mind makes changes to the events.

Your right that a lot of our ribbons were not put in to our SRB'S.Now we are having a hard time to have them put into our 214.When we went to Nam in 66,we stoped in Okinawa left our entire sea bags there,when we came back 13 months later we were given a complete set of every thing we had in that sea bag.They put on all our ribbons on our greens.35 years later some of those ribbons are not in my 214.I'm 62 years now,where am I going to find some body that served with me in Nam.What a mess.

ggyoung
02-17-10, 10:51 AM
You can be in combat and never get the CAR did you know that...same for the PH you can get wounded in combat and never get it...all depends on your unit.

In 1965 Col. Fisher (the Bull) of 2/4 had a standing order that you have to be in a Bn. Aid station for 3 days before he wound sign off on a PH. Yet some other Bn. all you had to do was to get a bloody nose to get the PH.

FistFu68
02-17-10, 12:57 PM
:evilgrin: You mean like that Gunny Ermy Hollywood Marine :confused: :iwo:

HST
02-18-10, 11:24 AM

Man, thats no s*it. I remenber when the rumor that an officers fitness report would be down if a lot of guys under his command got the PH. I saw officers come out to the LZ and pull tags off of guys who were dinged, and tell tghem to get the F8ck back to their units, threaten them with a cm for malingering or a self inflicted wound... but let some lifer get three schatches and it was three PH's with maybe a bronze kicker. Fact is most of this stuff is bullsh*t, some of the bravest, baddest dudes I ever saw got nothing, especially if they didn't take sh*t from the lifers.

FistFu68
02-18-10, 11:57 AM
:evilgrin: I know 3 former Lt's from my Company that wrote each other Up for Silver Stars and got them for an Op we were on.But when the Chit was hitting the Fan they were Leading from the Rear had too pry them outta the Trench Line Us Peons got not a thing but Chit Burning Detail after the Op.These 3 Chickenchits are still alive,they do not Communicate with any of Us Survivors Just themselves.Better that way Might Get Drunk and Run over the Bastards with my Truck :mad: :thumbdown

ggyoung
02-18-10, 01:25 PM
That is why it is sooooooooooooooo hard for enlisted to get any medals

Zulu 36
02-18-10, 02:25 PM
My father told me the criteria for a PH during WWII (or at least in the 6th Marines) was your enemy caused wound had to be treated at the BAS and you had to spend at least 24-hours under medical care. Dad said had he turned into the BAS every time he was wounded, he could have potentially received over 12 Purple Hearts.

However, he just fixed himself, got a buddy, or the platoon Corpsman to do it. The only time he was evacuated to the BAS was for a concussion suffered when his patrol was struck by "friendly" naval 5" gunfire. Luckily, he was the only one hurt and was back in action in a couple of days. No PH as it was "friendly fire."

Funny thing is he spent about four-months in a Naval Hospital back in the States having hundreds of tiny pieces of Japanese fragmentation taken out of his hide, but still no PH since there was no BAS record of his wounds.

He didn't really seem to care. I guess making it through Saipan and Tinian alive was good enough for him.

daniel allen
02-18-10, 03:33 PM
We relied on one Office Poogie sitting inside the Battalion CP typing up in our SRB's while reading after action reports of the day...how many LT's did you see sitting down writing into his little book after a fire fight I never did, when would he find the time. Most of the time he wrote things down long after coming back in, hours later, memories from the human mind are unreliable ever 30 minuets, the mind makes changes to the events.
That's how I found out about CAR, a clerk at Lejuene was wearing one!!!(daniel allen)

ggyoung
02-18-10, 04:03 PM
My father told me the criteria for a PH during WWII (or at least in the 6th Marines) was your enemy caused wound had to be treated at the BAS and you had to spend at least 24-hours under medical care. Dad said had he turned into the BAS every time he was wounded, he could have potentially received over 12 Purple Hearts.

However, he just fixed himself, got a buddy, or the platoon Corpsman to do it. The only time he was evacuated to the BAS was for a concussion suffered when his patrol was struck by "friendly" naval 5" gunfire. Luckily, he was the only one hurt and was back in action in a couple of days. No PH as it was "friendly fire."

Funny thing is he spent about four-months in a Naval Hospital back in the States having hundreds of tiny pieces of Japanese fragmentation taken out of his hide, but still no PH since there was no BAS record of his wounds.

He didn't really seem to care. I guess making it through Saipan and Tinian alive was good enough for him.

Zulu Your dad was a good Marine. There was also a lot of good Marines in Vietnam. I know of 4 or 5 Marines who were at DaNang on there way home who heard we were in heavy contac with the NVA. They made there way back to our unit and faought untill the action was over then went home. 1 or 2 went home in coffen. Damn Good Marines

daniel allen
02-18-10, 05:48 PM
Just Found this on Google:

Effective Dates
The Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was made retroactive to August 15, 1974.
Qualifying service performed between August 15, 1974 and January 1, 1979 may only be credited toward the initial award of the ribbon; subsequent to January 1, 1979 one award will be granted for each qualifying period.
Criteria
This ribbon is awarded to officers and enlisted personnel of the Navy, Naval Reserve, Marine Corps, and Marine Corps Reserve for 12 months consecutive or accumulated duty at overseas shore-based duty stations.
In the case of inactive reservists, the ribbon is awarded for 30 consecutive or 45 cumulative days of active duty training or temp-orary active duty at overseas stations, including deployed units and units homeported overseas.
An individual cannot receive the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon for the same period, nor can the same period of time be used to earn eligibility for both the Naval Reserve Sea Service Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon.
Typical Govt response time. The medal was proposed in 1968 surely for VietVets then and retro!

daniel allen
02-18-10, 05:58 PM
:evilgrin: Whats this We Chit I don't know You from Jack Chit like too keep it that way Savvy :confused: :iwo:
you took the same words right out of my mouth,forget the Semper Fi!!!