PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Advert budget plunges...surplus of wannabees

Sgt Leprechaun
06-20-11, 10:49 PM
Wannabees....take heed. If you don't 'get' the message...it's real simple.....the surplus of people WANTING to come in...and stay in...is more than the market will bear. <br />
<br />
In other words,...

chulaivet1966
06-21-11, 10:56 AM
You are selling YOURself. YOU need to make the recruiters want YOU and make yourself 'marketable'.

Hmm......what if I have a nose ring?
Is it OK I have other piercings as long as they can't be seen?
Will those diminish my chances of being a Force Recon Sniper Scout?:)

On a serious note...that's a good read.
I hope the aspiring wannabes get the picture that they are not doing the Corps a favor by trying to enlist and viewing it as some entitlement option.

This one deserves a bumpith.

Carry on....

Tennessee Top
06-21-11, 11:38 AM
Now that my niece is going through the recruitment process (she just recently became a poolee), I have had the opportunity to speak to a number of USMC recruiters (in three different states).

My initial thought was, this would be a great time to be a recruiter since kids are beating your door down to get in and you don't have the numbers to worry about now compared to before.

What I learned however, is the job has in fact just gotten tougher as the Marine Corps Recruiting Command stiffens the qualifications and eliminates what used to be waiverable circumstances/factors. An applicant who was signable only a few short months ago may today not even be worth spending the time to talk to.

Am glad to report my niece made it through the initial set of hoops at MEPS and into her dep. She is now experiencing the ups-n-downs of life as a poolee. She quit her job because it conflicted too much with pool functions but now struggles to find enough gas money to even get to the meetings regularly. Because she just recently took running seriously, she is in the build-up phase and dealing with shin splints already. She understands it's a long and arduous journey with many roadblocks along the way but is determined to reach her destination...graduation day at Parris Island and earning the title!

chulaivet1966
06-21-11, 11:52 AM
Am glad to report my niece made it through the initial set of hoops at MEPS and into her dep. She is now experiencing the ups-n-downs of life as a poolee. She quit her job because it conflicted too much with pool functions but now struggles to find enough gas money to even get to the meetings regularly. Because she just recently took running seriously, she is in the build-up phase and dealing with shin splints already. She understands it's a long and arduous journey with many roadblocks along the way but is determined to reach her destination...graduation day at Parris Island and earning the title!

I think we were both in the chin splint thread.
I hope her chin splint annoyance wanes quickly as mine did when I was in boot camp...maybe I was lucky. ;)
The fact she is aware of the 'arduous' nature of her 'journey' is a good thing.
I'm sure you've set a good example for her.
Best to your niece as she travels on The Path.

Carry on...

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-11, 05:46 PM
OUTstanding MSgt! Glad to hear it...and good insight too. Makes sense.