PDA

View Full Version : Aviation 0-1's leading grunts

USNAviator
06-20-11, 12:13 PM
This is why Marines are different

CAMP LEATHERNECK, Afghanistan — They could have been drinking beer on the beach in Pensacola, Fla.

Instead, 13 active-duty lieutenants commissioned with aviation contracts are on the ground in Afghanistan, leading infantry platoons with 1st Battalion, 23rd Marines, a Houston-based Reserve unit in need of platoon commanders.

The lieutenants volunteered for the job while still in The Basic School at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va., because there was still a one-year wait for a seat in flight school.

Their May 2010 graduating class had 80 lieutenants with aviation contracts. The junior officers were given about an hour to decide among several options. Sixteen went to the 12-week Infantry Officer Course, and 13 made it through and shipped out to Houston to link up with 1/23 for its annual training and pre-deployment workup.

For the battalion, it was a solution to a manning shortage. For the lieutenants, it was a surprise chance of a lifetime.
First Lt. Jeremy Wood said that as a kid, he’d always wanted to be a pilot. After deciding he wanted to be a Marine, the next step was choosing between aviation and infantry.

“When I heard … volunteers were needed for a yearlong endeavor, I said, ‘Sign me up, put me in. I want to do this,’ ” said Wood, who commands 1st Platoon in the battalion’s Weapons Company and hopes to one day fly an F-18.

The long wait for flight school was an anomaly created when the Corps surged above 202,000 Marines faster than expected, said 1st Lt. Brian Villiard, a Quantico spokesman. Four Basic School companies have had flight school students — the last of whom graduated in December — redirected to other assignments. By October, the wait time for flight school is only expected to be up to a month, Villiard said, so the initiative will no longer be necessary.

While some lieutenants enrolled in the IOC — where they were nicknamed “sky grunts” — others have participated in language training and logistics officer training, or have been temporarily assigned to billets across the Corps to “enhance their professional development as Marine officers,” Villiard said.

The lieutenants serving as platoon commanders have been fully trained as infantry officers and even have the 0302 infantry officer military occupational specialty. When they get to flight school later this year, they will be given the 7599 MOS that all student naval aviators get. Their infantry officer role will become a secondary MOS, Villiard said.
The lieutenants should be commended for stepping up for deployment, said Lt. Col. Todd Zink, commander of 1/23.

“They’re putting their service in the Marine Corps ahead of being a pilot,” Zink said.

CrockettJW
06-20-11, 12:16 PM
Wow, that's good on them. I can't believe they only had an hour to decide, though. That's a tough decision to make in an hour.

kenrobg30
06-20-11, 12:35 PM
Back in my day, they sent Navy and Marine pilots to the rifle companies, to call in Air support, and to get a feel for the situations the grunts were faving. I was told by one of them, that it made the pilots take their job seriously.

Once, when 2/5 was in reserve, I was walking toward a hedgerow near our mess tent when three F-80s did a fast fly-over, wagging their wings, and I'd have sworn they flew through the tops of those trees, not over them. Scared the hell out of me, and every Marine in sight was picking himself up off the ground. These three pilots had served their turns as FO Officers, and knew a lot of us by name. They bought a whole bunch of Uncle Joe Schlitz's good stuff, and sent it up to us, to apologize for getting us dirty. We forgave them. :beer: S/F!! Ken

GT6238
06-20-11, 12:44 PM
I recall air support pilots being on the ground, but this is a new thing and a really good idea...

kenrobg30
06-20-11, 01:08 PM
I recall air support pilots being on the ground, but this is a new thing and a really good idea...

An F-80 got shot down behind the Gooks lines. Dog-2/5 moved out to pick up the Squid pilot, before the enemy got unfriendly toward him. Turned out, he was one of the FOs we'd had. While he was waiting for us to get there, a Chinese Soljer (Brain phart) walked out of the brush and surrendered to him.

We got there about ten minutes ahead of a whole bunch of unfriendlies. We took off for our own lines at double time, and I was doing fine, until the 90+ weather caught up with me. I passed out, the doc said heat exaustion.I was carrying 40+ POUNDS OF RADIO, AND EVEN i AIN'T THAT GOOD. Captain Smith apologized to me for not considering the load I was carrying, and after a ten minute rest, with the Company set up and watching for our persuers, He had the company move out again, at a pace that I could handle. The Chinese prisoner asked, to carry my radio for me. The Capt. let him. S/F!!! Ken

USNAviator
06-20-11, 01:23 PM
An F-80 got shot down behind the Gooks lines. Dog-2/5 moved out to pick up the Squid pilot, before the enemy got unfriendly toward him. Turned out, he was one of the FOs we'd had. While he was waiting for us to get there, a Chinese Soljer (Brain phart) walked out of the brush and surrendered to him.

We got there about ten minutes ahead of a whole bunch of unfriendlies. We took off for our own lines at double time, and I was doing fine, until the 90+ weather caught up with me. I passed out, the doc said heat exaustion.I was carrying 40+ POUNDS OF RADIO, AND EVEN i AIN'T THAT GOOD. Captain Smith apologized to me for not considering the load I was carrying, and after a ten minute rest, with the Company set up and watching for our persuers, He had the company move out again, at a pace that I could handle. The Chinese prisoner asked, to carry my radio for me. The Capt. let him. S/F!!! Ken

Not bad Ken, an E-4 with your own coolie. You must been the envy of everyone else. Still working of that E-5 for you......;)

kenrobg30
06-20-11, 01:29 PM
Not bad Ken, an E-4 with your own coolie. You must been the envy of everyone else. Still working of that E-5 for you......;)

You better hurry DAN, I don't expect to live more than 30 or 40 more years. :beer: S/F!!, and Fair Winds Ken

TheReservist
06-20-11, 02:05 PM
This is a very good thing, although those Lieutenants should be called a grunt more then an aviator as they have went to and passed Infantry Officer Course while they haven't passed their flight school yet.

kenrobg30
06-20-11, 02:09 PM
This is a very good thing, although those Lieutenants should be called a grunt more then an aviator as they have went to and passed Infantry Officer Course while they haven't passed their flight school yet.

They chose to go infantry, and put off their goals, to do a job that needed doing. Are you going to Knit pick them?

FoxtrotOscar
06-20-11, 03:23 PM
Kudo's for those LT's... they will definately appreciate what's done on the ground if they make it to the air...

Tennessee Top
06-20-11, 03:43 PM
Hopefully, they will all get rewarded come promotion time!

R Landry
06-20-11, 04:05 PM
I wonder if there are any of these Aviation LTs that have attitudes like Maverick & Ice in Top Gun.

kenrobg30
06-20-11, 04:11 PM
I wonder if there are any of these Aviation LTs that have attitudes like Maverick & Ice in Top Gun.

I liked Charlie Sheens' version better.:banana: S/F!! Ken

TheReservist
06-20-11, 05:43 PM
They chose to go infantry, and put off their goals, to do a job that needed doing. Are you going to Knit pick them?

How am I nitpicking them? They chose to go infantry, during their one year wait to go to flight school. I think that by passing IOC and leading an infantry platoon they deserve the title "grunt".

Like I said before, this is a very good thing for them.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-20-11, 11:28 PM
OUTfrakkin standing for them. They sure as heck deserve the 'grunt' title. Anyone who says otherwise is just a plain fool. The MARINE CORPS says they are '0302's'. That makes them 'Grunt'.

doc h fmf
06-21-11, 12:05 AM
DO THEY KNOW HOW TO READ MAPS? JUST KIDDING I WOULD ALWAYS HEAR THAT JOKE AT NCO OR SNCO ACADAMIES. THEY WOULD SAY I WOULD TRUST DOC WITH A MAP BEFORE I WOULD TRUST AN LT. ANYWAY I THOUGHT TO MYSELF AM I THE BUTT OF THEIR JOKE. ANYWAY SERIOUSLY LIKE TOP SAID I HOPE THEY GET REWARDED FOR THEIR SERVICES WHEN IT COMES TO THE PROMOTION BOARD. SEMPER FI AND GODBLESS AND WATCH OVER THEM

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 fmf

Borknagar
06-21-11, 12:43 AM
Beautiful!

Leadership by example!

kenrobg30
06-21-11, 07:46 AM
How am I nitpicking them? They chose to go infantry, during their one year wait to go to flight school. I think that by passing IOC and leading an infantry platoon they deserve the title "grunt".

Like I said before, this is a very good thing for them.

The way you worded your post seemed to me, to be down -playing their decision. I guess i'm senitive about things like that. I thought I made a mistake once, but i found that i was mistaken, Old saying , but sometimes it fits. S/F!! Ken

DrZ
06-21-11, 07:56 AM
I am proud of those 01s. Most that I met during my time in couldn't find their own butts in a dark room....so if they went with the grunts and did well....kudos to them.

advanced
06-21-11, 08:35 AM
I remember the time we got a brand new O-1. Took a little while to break him into our world but he did good. He listened to us.