PDA

View Full Version : USMC provided bootcamp training guide

IHaveEGA843
06-19-11, 11:31 PM
I know all Poolees who swore in and all got the USMC case with the training guide in it. Have any of y'all used and followed it? I'm considering it t help build up my endurance on more running miles past 3 miles. It looks like a great program with the 2 work out days and since I PT 3 times a week I can do day 1 on mon and day 2 on Friday then just have wwed a "what I want to do" PT day.

So those who have used it, does/did it work?

My recruiter is very confident in my performance so he doesn't stress it but I do. I'm in good shape but I want to be in great shape before I leave so I can breeze through Recruit Training minus the mental shizz.

Let me see some post fellas!

jeonpaolo
06-19-11, 11:36 PM
Honestly it did not help me one bit. I found it easier just going to pt everyday at the rss and pting on my own. Helped me out a bunch more this way; went from 1 pull up to 20 pullups in about a year. I highly reccomend working out with Marines/buddies instead.

IHaveEGA843
06-19-11, 11:44 PM
Honestly I don't have the time to PT at the RS due to working. My recruiter knows that and respects it, we've agreed on 2 sat out of the month and like I said he's confident in my numbers so I'm not a high priority.

I thought the book would help tremendously especially how the running format is laid out. K
I'm still going to give it a go.

Thanks for the honest reply.

jeonpaolo
06-19-11, 11:50 PM
No prob. Maybe it was just me, but I know for a fact no one at my rss has made use of it. In my opinion its best to just come up with the stuff as you work out. Feel like you need to work on cores, then just get down and do planks, know what I mean. Good luck.

Dutch 44
06-20-11, 02:14 AM
I dont think i read any of that stuff, there are far better guides to follow than that one

IHaveEGA843
06-20-11, 06:29 AM
LOL great replies, I appreciate the honesty

I may just follow the running portion then and do my own thing as usual.

Thanks fellas, keep training hard

Gunstream
06-20-11, 04:32 PM
When I first received the Welcome Aboard package, I asked my recruiter about the training guide. According to him, the guide is designed for the least common denominator; it's supposed to get the worst possible recruit in enough shape to ship. Subsequently, following the guide allows you to progress at the same speed as the sh*tbaggiest recruit out there.

I'm not going to give any advice on running, because there aren't exactly any collegiate track programs out there offering me scholarships. I have made huge gains everywhere else. I did 3 pullups and 56 crunches at MEPS in December. At the last function, I did 24 pullups and 106 crunches. Here's what I do:

Mon/Wed/Friday - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps & Abs
I do variations on presses and fly (flat, decline, incline, barbell, dumbell) so that I'm not repeating the same exercise much during the week.
I do shoulder presses (bar and dumbell), shrugs (front, back, and dumbell), and front and lateral raises.
I do tricep pulldowns, overhead extensions, and tons of dips.
Working abs is easy. Everyone knows how to workout their core. Do crunches, decline crunches, swiss ball exercises, etc.

Tues/Thurs:
PULLUPS! I do 150-200 each day. I also try to do 30-50 of them with weight. Start small and add 10 lbs. You'll be suprised how much stronger 10 lbs will make you. As it stands right now, I can do sets of 8 with 45 lbs. I also tested my one rep max last Friday, and did 90 lbs. I ran a quick calculation not too long ago, and I think I've done about 7,000 pullups this year.

As far as running, there are plenty of people better qualified to give advice. Nevertheless, here is my training regimen:

I run. I suck at it. I hate it. Even still, I run.

IHaveEGA843
06-20-11, 08:46 PM
I have good run times for my IST but I want BETTER run times and from what the guide lays out it is basically given that youll be able to run 4-5 miles.

I did the 1.5 miler today on a treadmill with the incline up to 2.5.......Talking about a work out......once I dropped it back to 0 it was a breeze but I did 1.25 miles inclined and the .25 at 0.

DudefromDiego
06-20-11, 09:52 PM
Lol, I put that tin somewhere in my room and it's been lost in time. Only thing I ever used was the sticker. :/

PooleeGewarges
06-22-11, 01:26 AM
I used to follow the training guide the Marines offered to me, snd honestly, I loved it and I felt the soreness everytime I did it.

bposey8152
06-22-11, 01:48 AM
I never got a guide :( haha

Dutch 44
06-22-11, 03:03 PM
I never got a guide :( haha

Its basically a little book that tells you to run and do pullups and shows you how to do them, pretty basic stuff your not missing much

DudefromDiego
06-22-11, 05:46 PM
Its basically a little book that tells you to run and do pullups and shows you how to do them, pretty basic stuff your not missing much

Is this how it goes?:

HOW TO RUN: Move your legs faster than normal.
HOW TO DO PULL-UPS: Pull...Up.

:D

IHaveEGA843
06-22-11, 08:26 PM
lol, its to get people prepared for boot.....like Poolee PT but yo......I PT'd with the RS today........****ING DEAD.......

93Reaper
06-22-11, 11:27 PM
The notebook workout is just basic exercises, to be truthful i couldn't make heads or tails of the damn thing. I would post my workout but its a VERY extensive 4 month strength building workout and would take me an hour to write out. Its Eric Cressey's Maximum Strength, its great it got me doing not even holding the bar to 15/16 pull-ups on an IST. I would suggest getting it if you have about 3-4 months or more till you ship.

DHY
06-24-11, 04:03 AM
Let me quote "Guidebook for Marines, Eighteenth Revised Edition": "In order to improve your running you must run, run, run."

I am not particularly fast by any means, but as obvious as it seems it is true. I used to hate running until I started running three miles every other day at least. It sucks at first but you get used to it. Having a running buddy helps immensely. The hardest part is getting motivated and having somebody else to push you and for you to push does a lot. That is why going down to your local RSS is super beneficial, your recruiter can likely supply you with ample motivation. And if you have time/work issues just make it happen. Do what you can.

If you are interested you can buy the "Guidebook for Marines" from an online used book seller (abebooks.com is good) for couple bucks. It is a pretty dry read but obviously informational. Chapter thirteen is all about Physical Fitness and largely contains "no duh" information but it explains, with pictures, a lot of different exercises. It also outlines what it calls the "Daily 16 Program." If your one of those people who it helps to have something written down on paper, this could be beneficial.

An other thing with running is "Interval Running" or "Fartlek." The only difference between the two is the former is more structured while the latter is based on random goals set while running. Basically you vary your pace while running; jog the corners, sprint the straights or something of the such. I gets your heart rate to fluctuate which builds stamina and helps you improve your recovery time.

One last thing is get your rest. Again a no duh thing but it often gets neglected (here I am typing away and it is just past 0100).

Hope this helps.

SoonToBe3521
06-24-11, 04:07 AM
I know all Poolees who swore in and all got the USMC case with the training guide in it. Have any of y'all used and followed it? I'm considering it t help build up my endurance on more running miles past 3 miles. It looks like a great program with the 2 work out days and since I PT 3 times a week I can do day 1 on mon and day 2 on Friday then just have wwed a "what I want to do" PT day.

So those who have used it, does/did it work?

My recruiter is very confident in my performance so he doesn't stress it but I do. I'm in good shape but I want to be in great shape before I leave so I can breeze through Recruit Training minus the mental shizz.

Let me see some post fellas!

I've yet to find anything actually useful for me in it. Although I did like the area in the back where you could track all your progress...I suppose I might try the circuits just to see if they do any good though. I actually just had mine out yesterday trying to make sense of it, then gave up lol

IHaveEGA843
06-24-11, 08:56 AM
It's not that I need it to perform better at the IST or anything but I would love to track my actual running and have a newer work out routine.

I went and PT'd with the RS wednesday and it kicked my ass, the run didnt but the multiple circuts we ran did and majority of it was core work which I'm seriously lacking in. I plan on attending more of these functions so I can get a well rounded workout. I'm going to start looking more into CrossFit in the coming weeks because my body has adjusted to the just run cardio and lifting I've been doing for months on end.

I asked my recruiter if I was a sad sight wednesday but he said, "no....you were putting out."

I still felt like I couldve done better but if we do more CrossFit in boot I will seriously suffer in the beginning.

Skyfish
06-26-11, 12:43 PM
I have used the training guide exactly as prescribed since the day i got it, and i'm now starting week six. I've been working through the "mostly inactive" program because the inactive program is far too easy for me, but i haven't been physically active for close to eight years.

So here's the scoop: I've definitely seen some improvement. My pullups have gone from five to nine; crunches from 25 to 55; running... well, i could barely jog for a minute without huff-puffing to the ground before, and now i'm doing decently. The program is useful. However, i feel that my progress is slower than it should be -- especially for running. The "two workouts a week" doesn't really seem to cut it. I think part of it might be just trying to get poolees like myself (who don't already have an established training regimen) into some sort of a workout routine, even if it's only two days a week, and then bump that up to three days per week at week 6. For poolees who have already been training and have a pattern or routine, the book is probably much less useful.

I'm going to talk with my recruiter about doing PT together at the RSS. It's tough for me because i work full time and my schedule is by shift, not a standard 9-5, but i'm sure i should be able to meet the Marines at least a few times for a solid workout.

Thanks for the thread -- i was curious about how other people considered the guide, too. None of the other poolees at my RSS seemed interested in it, but then again, they were fresh off high school football teams and such so they already had a solid foundation.

MunkyVsRobot
06-26-11, 02:26 PM
I think it is mainly for people who havent been working out or have never worked out. I used to do MMA, Kickboxing and kung fu so I have some exercises and stretches that I know that I do.

Plyometrics (SP?) the best way to get in shape ever. Remember you can do some jump rope and other types of cardio that are just as effective as say strictly running.

10 minutes of jump rope is equal to almost 30 min of running., you can also work other routines into your regular schedule try adding some punching into your running work out and similar stuff. Makes the routine less routine and helps work out different sets of muscles.

Instead of doing just crunches do planks, you can do side planks to work the obliques, or you can do V sits those are a ***** to do for a minute continuously.

With the stretching id stretch a little before you work out and stretch more afterwards. If you stretch prior to a work out there is a greater possibility of injuring yourself because the muscles are still cold and have less plyability (if thats even a word) than after you get roughly a 17% better stretching after a work out than before.

Anyways thats my .02

IHaveEGA843
06-27-11, 09:42 AM
Seriously 10 min of jump rope is equal to 30 min of running!

Thats news and ****ing amazing **** to hear!!!!! I need to stretch after I do my run because I need to become more flexible so some of those exercise will be easier for me to do. When your stiff as a 60 year old man its hard to bend in crazy positions sometimes.

Yea the V thing or trying to touch your feet with your hands while keeping your legs in the air is hard.

MunkyVsRobot
06-27-11, 12:56 PM
I hope that isnt sarcasm bout the jump rope thing lol look it up if you think i am s****ting you.

If you do the V sits side to side too it works the Obliques.

IHaveEGA843
06-27-11, 03:38 PM
No sarcasm I seriously did not know that, I may look like I'm a PT expert by my build put I just recently started getting into shape for the Corps.

All this info is new to me

I need to work on my core also because even though I'm showing abs now the muscles are weak as ****. I think I can do the minimal crunches.

I'm seriously thinking of just signed up for a CrossFit trainer and going from there to be well rounded in fitness instead of upper body power and a alright cardio endurance.