PDA

View Full Version : MOS Openings

proudpooledad
06-18-11, 04:15 PM
Can anyone please tell me if there is a list of CURRENT mos openings for the Marines. My son is scheduled to leave in Sept. but his recruiter wont give him a list of openings and just shoots down his choices one by one. His GT and MM scores were both over 100 but we both feel that the recruiter is trying to fill some sort of quota. Any help would be great.

Tennessee Top
06-18-11, 07:44 PM
Maybe his recruiter shoots down his choices because there are no open slots. The recruiter does not make decisions about MOS's because he does not know the current needs of the Marine Corps (the manpower people at Headquarters, Marine Corps do however but I don't know if they publish a list). In case you have not been told previously...MOS's are assigned based on the needs of the Marine Corps. An effort is made to assign one of the poolee's 3 choices but nobody will promise that will happen and there are times when none of the 3 choices are available.

If your son has lost confidence in his recruiter then he (not you) needs to speak to the NCOIC of the recruiting station. He must understand that the relationship between himself and his recruiter will change (and be prepared to deal with it).

Good luck to your son.

proudpooledad
06-18-11, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the info Top. I makes a little more sense now. I joined the Army in 1989 and I was able to choose from just about any job I wanted so thats what I was comparing my sons experience to.

Marine3451
06-20-11, 11:59 AM
There is a list out there but unfortunatly its not public information. Most Marines dont have access to it unless you have a career planner willing to give it to you. If your son left in october he would have a fresh list to choose from but unfortunatly at this point for the current FY I suspect alot of the jobs have been filled. Instead of asking for specific jobs see if the recruiter will give him a few feilds to choose from and that are open. Alot of technical MOS field require a 110 or 115 GT or higher.

YLDNDN6
06-21-11, 12:07 AM
I can speak from experience that if your son were to inquire about the intelligence field, being 26XX, he may find openings there, and he would have a great time in that MOS. It is very demanding, mentally, and his chances of seeing remote points of the globe are extremely high. Again, this is strictly from personal experience, but if his scores warrant a shot at this field, it's worth a look.

SgtT42
06-22-11, 08:52 PM
Aircraft Maintenance field is a very big field and is always in need of good marines!

Gray4
06-23-11, 10:30 AM
when is your sons ship date? Mine is sept 19