PDA

View Full Version : rifleman vs. machine gunner

Bornagain
06-18-11, 09:38 AM
I was looking through a lot of MOS's trying to figure out what would be good for me, and I am starting to narrow my choices. I am not saying for sure I am going to be one of these two, but I was wondering what are some of the common/differences between a rifleman and a machine gunner, and what are the advantages and disadvantages to both? Oh, and I was reading that a basic rifleman can sometimes deploy with the SAW; how can these be if you are not a machine gunner? Thank you Marines for any information that you can provide me with.

Old Marine
06-18-11, 11:54 AM
We used to make non-quals machine gunners since they could not hit the target.

Bornagain
06-18-11, 12:18 PM
We used to make non-quals machine gunners since they could not hit the target.
So you are saying that the ones who couldn't shoot carried the m-60? Or are you saying they became actual machine gunners?

Old Marine
06-18-11, 12:30 PM
Young man, I am talking about the .30 Cal. Light Machine Gun & the .50 Cal. Machine Gun. The only SAW I ever laid eyes on when I was in was used for cutting trees and wood. Did see a few Grease Guns and Thompson Sub Machine Guns in Korea.

Bornagain
06-18-11, 12:35 PM
Young man, I am talking about the .30 Cal. Light Machine Gun & the .50 Cal. Machine Gun. The only SAW I ever laid eyes on when I was in was used for cutting trees and wood. Did see a few Grease Guns and Thompson Sub Machine Guns in Korea.
I'm sorry for my ignorance Sir, I realized after posting that the SAW was not even invented when you were in, and so I edited my question. Thank you for clarifying, Sir.

Zulu 36
06-18-11, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry for my ignorance Sir, I realized after posting that the SAW was not even invented when you were in, and so I edited my question. Thank you for clarifying, Sir.

Don't let Old Marine fool you. One of the drill commands when he went through boot camp was "Ground your muskets!" :D

Unless you are going reserve, you won't have much choice whether you are a rifleman or machine gunner. First you have to get an infantry contract and those are tough to get.

The SAW is phasing out and a new automatic rifle is coming in. It's magazine fed and the basic load for the AR man will be 22 30-round magazines. So you save 10-lbs weight on the gun, but make it back up in the ammo load. Grunts will still be trained on the SAW as some will still be available to use at the company commander's discretion.

Bornagain
06-18-11, 01:26 PM
Why is it so hard to get an infantry contract. Isn't it what the Corps wants most of?

Bornagain
06-18-11, 01:34 PM
Anyways, a rifleman mos will only take someone from private to sgt, so what do you do to advance afterwards, switch your mos?

Zulu 36
06-18-11, 01:55 PM
Why is it so hard to get an infantry contract. Isn't it what the Corps wants most of?

Everybody and their brother wants to be a grunt.

Zulu 36
06-18-11, 01:57 PM
Anyways, a rifleman mos will only take someone from private to sgt, so what do you do to advance afterwards, switch your mos?

No, you can stay in infantry. Once promoted to SSgt, your MOS changes to 0369 and a normal billet would be platoon sergeant.

Bornagain
06-18-11, 02:02 PM
No, you can stay in infantry. Once promoted to SSgt, your MOS changes to 0369 and a normal billet would be platoon sergeant.
Man, you are really helpful, thank you. Okay, one last question. How does selection to staff sgt work? Do they just pick you out and THEN you go through training to become a 0369, or are you just automatically in that MOS? Please bear with me, you are being very helpful Marine!

Zulu 36
06-18-11, 02:26 PM
Man, you are really helpful, thank you. Okay, one last question. How does selection to staff sgt work? Do they just pick you out and THEN you go through training to become a 0369, or are you just automatically in that MOS? Please bear with me, you are being very helpful Marine!

This is getting waaaay ahead of things. You're talking about six to eight years in the Corps before this comes up.

But selection is done by a promotion board at HQ Marine Corps. They view your service record, a photo you have to have taken of yourself, your fitness reports as a Sergeant, your personal awards, PFT scores, rifle qual scores, combat service, etc. Your time in grade as a Sergeant and time in service are calculated in (you have to meet a minimum time in grade and time in service to even be considered by the board). Basically they take an overall look at you and your career and compare it to other SSgt candidates in your MOS.

You are then rated by number and placed on a promotion list. I don't know if the Corps has changed the under-zone, promotion zone, and over-zone categories or not. But don't really worry about that until you are a Sergeant. But after promotion there is an advanced leadership school you are sent to. You should attend similar schools as a Corporal and a Sergeant.

Old Marine
06-18-11, 03:08 PM
Don't let Old Marine fool you. One of the drill commands when he went through boot camp was "Ground your muskets!" :D

Unless you are going reserve, you won't have much choice whether you are a rifleman or machine gunner. First you have to get an infantry contract and those are tough to get.

The SAW is phasing out and a new automatic rifle is coming in. It's magazine fed and the basic load for the AR man will be 22 30-round magazines. So you save 10-lbs weight on the gun, but make it back up in the ammo load. Grunts will still be trained on the SAW as some will still be available to use at the company commander's discretion.

The command was Stack Arms and we just put our muskets in one big pile.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 03:10 PM
so it sounds like you have to be pretty good for the promotion. Well, thank you Marines for all of your input, it was pretty helpful.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 03:11 PM
Anybody that has any of these mos as either a rifleman or a machine gunner feel free to keep this thread going!

doverite06
06-21-11, 03:27 PM
Old Marine is right. All promotions after E-5 come from CMC!

Bornagain
06-21-11, 03:41 PM
Anyone care to give me the key differences from a 0311 and an 0331?

USNAviator
06-21-11, 04:02 PM
Anyone care to give me the key differences from a 0311 and an 0331?

You know this stuff isn't all that difficult to find. It took m about 20 seconds to find it and post. Lets try doing some of your own work

Job Description: The riflemen employ the M16A2 service rifle, the M203 grenade launcher and the squad automatic weapon (SAW). Riflemen are the primary scouts, assault troops, and close combat forces available to the MAGTF. They are the foundation of the Marine infantry organization, and as such are the nucleus of the fire team in the rifle squad, the scout team in the LAR squad, scout snipers in the infantry battalion, and reconnaissance or assault team in the reconnaissance units. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as fire team leaders, scout team leaders, rifle squad leaders, or rifle platoon guides.

Job Description: The machine gunner is responsible for the tactical employment of the 7.62 mm medium machine-gun, the 50 cal., and 40mm heavy machine-gun, and their support vehicle. Machine gunners provide direct fire in support of the rifle and LAR squads/platoons/companies and the infantry and LAF: battalions. They are located in the weapons platoons of the rifle and LAR companies and the weapons company of the infantry battalion. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as team leaders and squad leaders/section leaders.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 04:08 PM
You know this stuff isn't all that difficult to find. It took m about 20 seconds to find it and post. Lets try doing some of your own work

Job Description: The riflemen employ the M16A2 service rifle, the M203 grenade launcher and the squad automatic weapon (SAW). Riflemen are the primary scouts, assault troops, and close combat forces available to the MAGTF. They are the foundation of the Marine infantry organization, and as such are the nucleus of the fire team in the rifle squad, the scout team in the LAR squad, scout snipers in the infantry battalion, and reconnaissance or assault team in the reconnaissance units. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as fire team leaders, scout team leaders, rifle squad leaders, or rifle platoon guides.

Job Description: The machine gunner is responsible for the tactical employment of the 7.62 mm medium machine-gun, the 50 cal., and 40mm heavy machine-gun, and their support vehicle. Machine gunners provide direct fire in support of the rifle and LAR squads/platoons/companies and the infantry and LAF: battalions. They are located in the weapons platoons of the rifle and LAR companies and the weapons company of the infantry battalion. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as team leaders and squad leaders/section leaders.
I can find all of that right there and have seen it many times before, i'm asking on here because it does not answer what I am looking for. I'm looking for a comparison of the two jobs as what your main job is, and i'm looking for what both jobs do on a daily basis. Thank you though.

USNAviator
06-21-11, 04:16 PM
I can find all of that right there and have seen it many times before, i'm asking on here because it does not answer what I am looking for. I'm looking for a comparison of the two jobs as what your main job is, and i'm looking for what both jobs do on a daily basis. Thank you though.

Jacob do you live in Gladwin MI????? How old are you? Seems to me you've been on here before under a different name. I'll have to ask Lep if your IP is the same. Interesting!

Baker1971
06-21-11, 04:34 PM

Why? Have you talked with a recruiter? Do you have any medical conditions that might need a waiver? They are hard to come by these days. Your Dad was in the Corps? Have you asked him some of these questions? Seems to me you have a great source of info right at home.

You know Commander these type of questions seem very familiar to me as well. Some smart a$$ kid wanted to know every single detail about dog handlers and Recon and a few others I can't remember but I do remember he was banned, permanently.

USNAviator
06-21-11, 04:41 PM
Why? Have you talked with a recruiter? Do you have any medical conditions that might need a waiver? They are hard to come by these days. Your Dad was in the Corps? Have you asked him some of these questions? Seems to me you have a great source of info right at home.

You know Commander these type of questions seem very familiar to me as well. Some smart a$$ kid wanted to know every single detail about dog handlers and Recon and a few others I can't remember but I do remember he was banned, permanently.

You have a good memory SSgt. Yes he was banned, very obnoxious little twerp. Came on originally asking about emailing a recruiter then stating he had ADHD, then said he didn't have it. Bad attitude all around. But I think what got to most of us was his insistence of knowing every single detail of every single MOS he was interested in.

iamspartacus
06-21-11, 05:35 PM
CMDR – I think we all know what the results of the IP check will be. He acts the same, has the same name, and coincidentally joined within weeks, if not days of our previous ADHD friend getting banned. But then again what do I know? I’m just a dumb jarhead.

Bornagain – Your question has been answered and once again, it’s not good enough for you. Google “a day in the life of a Marine infantryman” and it will take you to other threads that depict in detail what a typical day in the infantry is like. I was not in the infantry, but I would imagine that a “typical day” for a rifleman is about the same as a “typical day” for a machine gunner. Where they differ is when they are deployed… which you’d probably not classify a “typical day”. And which has already been answered by the CMDR.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 05:56 PM
CMDR – I think we all know what the results of the IP check will be. He acts the same, has the same name, and coincidentally joined within weeks, if not days of our previous ADHD friend getting banned. But then again what do I know? I’m just a dumb jarhead.

Bornagain – Your question has been answered and once again, it’s not good enough for you. Google “a day in the life of a Marine infantryman” and it will take you to other threads that depict in detail what a typical day in the infantry is like. I was not in the infantry, but I would imagine that a “typical day” for a rifleman is about the same as a “typical day” for a machine gunner. Where they differ is when they are deployed… which you’d probably not classify a “typical day”. And which has already been answered by the CMDR.
Thank you spartucus. I never said that i didnt appreciate the info USN, but I am looking for a personal account of a rifleman or machinegunner.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 05:58 PM

My Dad has answered a lot of questions, but he doesnt know everything about these mos's because he was not a grunt per say.

iamspartacus
06-21-11, 06:10 PM
Thank you spartucus. I never said that i didnt appreciate the info USN, but I am looking for a personal account of a rifleman or machinegunner.

And I never said you didn't appreciate it. I said it wasn't good enough for you. And if you would have done what I suggested and googled "a day in the life of a Marine infantryman" you would have found that the very first link is to an old leatherneck.com thread in which an actual infantry Marine gives a typical daily schedule... broken down hour by hour no less.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 06:14 PM
And I never said you didn't appreciate it. I said it wasn't good enough for you. And if you would have done what I suggested and googled "a day in the life of a Marine infantryman" you would have found that the very first link is to an old leatherneck.com thread in which an actual infantry Marine gives a typical daily schedule... broken down hour by hour no less.
I just found it. Thank you Sir, this is pretty interesting. I didnt realize I could find the answer on this same sight, but you do have to ask the questions to get the answers, that's why I'm being so specific.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-11, 06:53 PM
Don't believe this is the same lad as before, at least the IP shows a Michigan address I believe.

Now....you want 'specifics'?

They both do essentially the SAME job. Infantry. Machine gunners lay down a base of fire for the 0311s to 'shoot and move'. Machine gunners hump the heavy weapons, ammo, tripods/bipods, etc.

Machine gunners at one time were assigned to 'Heavy Weapons' Platoon/Company, they may or may not be any longer. Either way, they do EXACTLY the same thing as the 'basic rifleman' does.....Infantry. Just slightly different missions.

And kid, the desire to 'see' the elephant.....well, be careful what you wish for.

It ain't all flags flyin and bands blowin when the demons come for you at night.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 06:58 PM
Don't believe this is the same lad as before, at least the IP shows a Michigan address I believe.

Now....you want 'specifics'?

They both do essentially the SAME job. Infantry. Machine gunners lay down a base of fire for the 0311s to 'shoot and move'. Machine gunners hump the heavy weapons, ammo, tripods/bipods, etc.

Machine gunners at one time were assigned to 'Heavy Weapons' Platoon/Company, they may or may not be any longer. Either way, they do EXACTLY the same thing as the 'basic rifleman' does.....Infantry. Just slightly different missions.

And kid, the desire to 'see' the elephant.....well, be careful what you wish for.

It ain't all flags flyin and bands blowin when the demons come for you at night.
Thank you Sgt. I have a bit of thinking to do before I start making decisions as to whether or not I want to be infantry. It sounds like a hard task but I believe that I may be up to it.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 07:08 PM
Are there any true advantages to infantry over other jobs, maybe rank advancement or future employment?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-11, 07:35 PM
No.

USNAviator
06-21-11, 07:43 PM
No.

Oh I'm growing weary.......time for a Bushmills. Stop by Jason, steaks are on the grill

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-11, 07:56 PM
Sir....I sooooooo very wish.

MOS4429
06-21-11, 08:00 PM
Are there any true advantages to infantry over other jobs, maybe rank advancement or future employment?

Have you even see a Marine recruiter?

Have you taken your questions to him or her?

Is there a reason you have not taken the time to research MOS's you are interested in?

You seem to have a lot of questions, and if you are legit, that's cool, but you would be well served to write your questions down and go see a Marine recruiter who will be able to answer all.

So you have been given some good answers. Now you have your homework assignment so I suggest you get at it!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-11, 08:30 PM
Aye.

Bornagain
06-21-11, 09:38 PM
Have you even see a Marine recruiter?

Have you taken your questions to him or her?

Is there a reason you have not taken the time to research MOS's you are interested in?

You seem to have a lot of questions, and if you are legit, that's cool, but you would be well served to write your questions down and go see a Marine recruiter who will be able to answer all.

So you have been given some good answers. Now you have your homework assignment so I suggest you get at it!

Well I'm trying my best to get info but there is only so much that I can look up online. I've talked to a recruiter and we are going to get some things going soon but I'm just still undecided what I want to do. I'm hoping to find some Marines to tell me their personal experience, but I don't know people on here that can really help me out with that. PS all the comments are great, thanks Commander, Sgt Lep., and others. You have given me my answers and I am very greatful.I'll try and find out as a matter of personal opinion what jobs are better than others from others with experience in that field, once again thank you for your responses Marines they are all helpful.

MOS4429
06-22-11, 10:18 AM
Well I'm trying my best to get info but there is only so much that I can look up online. I've talked to a recruiter and we are going to get some things going soon but I'm just still undecided what I want to do. I'm hoping to find some Marines to tell me their personal experience, but I don't know people on here that can really help me out with that. PS all the comments are great, thanks Commander, Sgt Lep., and others. You have given me my answers and I am very greatful.I'll try and find out as a matter of personal opinion what jobs are better than others from others with experience in that field, once again thank you for your responses Marines they are all helpful.

Bornagain, well, I was not an 0300 as you can see, but both of my brothers were, and I will tell you their experiences as briefly as I can. May help you in your decision, may not.

My oldest brother enlisted as 0300. You did not enlist as 0311 or 0331, just straight 0300 and the Marine Corps after infantry training will decide what you will be and where you will go. So he completed infantry training and happened to be the right height and build for embassy duty, and went to training for ED and eventually to barracks duty in London, England. He did not like it, wanted to be 0311 like his buddy he joined with who was in Oki and on float. He came back stateside after 2 years, was assigned to a unit in Pendleton and got out. He came back in, was assigned to I believe it was 7th Marines in Pendleton as a grunt, loved it, went on all the humps, did the training, etc. After recruiting duty became a sniper, went to Mogadishu as a sniper, had a tight unit, loved it but came home with some difficulities that in time resolved, eventually retired as a gunny.

My other brother joined open contract, was told to make his request be known at boot camp that he wanted to go into the MPs and they would send him. Ha-ha, no, wrong. He was made an 0300, went to infantry training, and because he was 6'3" about 215 lbs, he was made an 0331. If you're big and you can pack the M-60, guess what? He then went on float for 6 months, at Oki for about 6 mos and hated it. He got sick of packing the M-60 and did not like the head games. Back at Pendleton, at reception he had the opportunity to go to a unit and work in the vault for the CO which involved receiving secret and top secret messages, processing, etc., was meritoriously promoted to E-4 and E-5, and loved it. He was with a grunt unit but no longer packed the M-60, still went out in the field, but had completely different job assignments.

So there you have it. The moral of the story, if there is one, you may join open or 0300 and nevertheless, the Marine Corps is going to put you where they need you the most.

Bornagain
06-22-11, 11:39 AM
Bornagain, well, I was not an 0300 as you can see, but both of my brothers were, and I will tell you their experiences as briefly as I can. May help you in your decision, may not.

My oldest brother enlisted as 0300. You did not enlist as 0311 or 0331, just straight 0300 and the Marine Corps after infantry training will decide what you will be and where you will go. So he completed infantry training and happened to be the right height and build for embassy duty, and went to training for ED and eventually to barracks duty in London, England. He did not like it, wanted to be 0311 like his buddy he joined with who was in Oki and on float. He came back stateside after 2 years, was assigned to a unit in Pendleton and got out. He came back in, was assigned to I believe it was 7th Marines in Pendleton as a grunt, loved it, went on all the humps, did the training, etc. After recruiting duty became a sniper, went to Mogadishu as a sniper, had a tight unit, loved it but came home with some difficulities that in time resolved, eventually retired as a gunny.

My other brother joined open contract, was told to make his request be known at boot camp that he wanted to go into the MPs and they would send him. Ha-ha, no, wrong. He was made an 0300, went to infantry training, and because he was 6'3" about 215 lbs, he was made an 0331. If you're big and you can pack the M-60, guess what? He then went on float for 6 months, at Oki for about 6 mos and hated it. He got sick of packing the M-60 and did not like the head games. Back at Pendleton, at reception he had the opportunity to go to a unit and work in the vault for the CO which involved receiving secret and top secret messages, processing, etc., was meritoriously promoted to E-4 and E-5, and loved it. He was with a grunt unit but no longer packed the M-60, still went out in the field, but had completely different job assignments.

So there you have it. The moral of the story, if there is one, you may join open or 0300 and nevertheless, the Marine Corps is going to put you where they need you the most.
Wow. That must have taken a while to type. Thank you for your troubles Marine. So I can go open contract letting them know that I want 03xx and they will just put me where I fit best? In that case I don't think that I would be a machine gunner. I don't really fit in to being 6'3 and 215 pounds or anywhere close to that size. I think I would like to be a rifleman better, who knows, maybe an LAV crewman. Machine gunner is off the list. I really want an MOS that will take me through ITB, so I can get the full experience. Again thank you Marine, that does help influence my choices.

iamspartacus
06-22-11, 12:02 PM
So I can go open contract letting them know that I want 03xx and they will just put me where I fit best?

Oh boy... [deep breath]. I don't think you understand what an open contract is. Open contract means you have no MOS contract. Which means they can put you slinging hash in the chow line or they could put you in a warehouse issuing gortex pants. You want an infantry contract. You can't pick the specific MOS (0311, 0331, etc), but if there are slots available (which right now there aren't many), you can pick the general MOS field (0300). Then, once you get to SOI they will decide what your specific MOS will be.

Zulu 36
06-22-11, 12:07 PM

There is lots of information out there and it's easy to find. Google is your friend.

There are a few good books available that report on portions of the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. I suggest The March Up, by Bing West, which is about the invasion of Iraq. West was a Marine infantry officer in Vietnam and has written a number of books. He and a retired Marine General embedded with Marines (they did spend some time with Army units). He describes the nitty-gritty of grunts in desert and urban combat rather well.

I also suggest you go to www.michaelyon-online.com . Yon is a former US Army Green Beret who is an independent journalist now. He has embedded with US Army and Marine units as well as British Marine and Army units. Read his journals from the beginning. He also has some spectacular photos and videos. He pulls no punches when he sees command stupidity in action, but willingly praises when deserved. He likes Marines. Smart Generals read his on-line journal. Yon also has a couple of books out.

The life of an infantryman in combat is dirty, nasty, dangerous, and damned hard work. It can also be heartbreaking.

Bornagain
06-22-11, 12:12 PM
Ohhhhh, I get it now. Alright thanks for the update. Seriously, sorry for the stupidity. Instead of open contract I get an infantry contract, then they decide my MOS at SOI. Thank you, thank you! I appreciate the help.

Old Marine
06-22-11, 12:19 PM
Three pages and you finally got an answer that you could have had after the first post if you had asked the right question.

Bornagain
06-22-11, 12:24 PM
Well thank you all for your patience. I admit, this has been pretty tedious, but the original question has been answered and many more. Thank you Marines!

Baker1971
06-22-11, 12:26 PM
Ohhhhh, I get it now. Alright thanks for the update. Seriously, sorry for the stupidity. Instead of open contract I get an infantry contract, then they decide my MOS at SOI. Thank you, thank you! I appreciate the help.

Are you old enough to talk with a recruiter? And your Dad doesn't know any of this info about contracts etc? Listen to Zulu and what Sgt Lep told you war isn't a game, it's life and death. It's not pretty, it's not glamorous. It smells, a stench that stays with you your whole life. When the demons come to you in the night, depriving you of sleep, when you wake up with your hands around your wife's neck because you thought she was the enemy. When you scream at your kids when a balloon pops, that's what war does to you

Go and read the posts in the PTSD forum then think long and hard about wanting an 03 contract. You ever been to a fire scene and smelled burning flesh? Not a smell that ever goes away so imagine seeing and smelling that day after day.

Bornagain
06-22-11, 12:36 PM
I'm not trying to upset anyone here. Where would our country be without grunts fighting on the front line? What would happen if we didn't have brave men to put there life on the line for the sake of America's people? People make sacrifices to protect others, and someones got to do the job. That's the way I see it. I want the comaraderie, the opportunity to travel, bring some excitment to my life, and say "I was there, on the front lines, fighting for my country as a USMC grunt." If it makes you mad that I want those things and plan to have them, then I don't know what to say.

Bornagain
06-22-11, 12:40 PM
Are you old enough to talk with a recruiter? And your Dad doesn't know any of this info about contracts etc? Listen to Zulu and what Sgt Lep told you war isn't a game, it's life and death. It's not pretty, it's not glamorous. It smells, a stench that stays with you your whole life. When the demons come to you in the night, depriving you of sleep, when you wake up with your hands around your wife's neck because you thought she was the enemy. When you scream at your kids when a balloon pops, that's what war does to you

Go and read the posts in the PTSD forum then think long and hard about wanting an 03 contract. You ever been to a fire scene and smelled burning flesh? Not a smell that ever goes away so imagine seeing and smelling that day after day.
My Dad never talks about things. He was in Operation Desert shield/storm. I'm guessing he had it rough over there. Whenever I ask him things he'll give me what I want, but never ellaborates. Maybe he still remembers, i'm sure he does... I don't think he wants to talk about those things. He gets excited about talking about deployments to Okinawa, scuba diving, the fun stuff he did, but never mentions anything else.He is pretty helpful on the things I need, but I think he gets annoyed when I ask him so much.

Old Marine
06-22-11, 01:13 PM
I would be very carefull what I am wishing for if I were you. This is not a movie or an X-Box game that you are playing. Real Amercan young people are being KIA and maimed for the rest of their lives. This is the real deal.

Bornagain
06-22-11, 01:19 PM
I would be very carefull what I am wishing for if I were you. This is not a movie or an X-Box game that you are playing. Real Amercan young people are being KIA and maimed for the rest of their lives. This is the real deal.

Trust me I have been thinking. It's a hard choice, that's why I am trying to get as much information as I can.

Bornagain
06-22-11, 01:23 PM
You know Old Marine, I've got a lot of respect for you. Twenty years of service through two of the worst wars in history. You have do be brave to go through that, so I say you're a good Marine.

Bornagain
06-22-11, 01:25 PM
Oh, sorry, your profile says that you weren't in Nam, but you still deserve a lot of respect and must have gone through a lot.

michagnu
06-22-11, 09:56 PM
Explains high casualty rates in the "Old Corps". Give the guy who fails muzzle control MOOORRREE firepower.;) At least tell me you put him in front as you charged up the beach.

Bornagain
06-23-11, 12:57 PM
So are ALL people with an 03xx MOS called "Grunts"?

GunRun
06-23-11, 07:35 PM
Well, kid, My roommate and I somehow read this whole topic without loosing our minds, and lucky for you, I'm an 0331,and he's an 0311, and We may be able make this clear.

However, We will only answer if you ask us directly. Not going back to the older questions because I just don't feel like it.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-24-11, 05:12 PM
You were given several responses but the one above will give you the answers you seek, direct from a SERVING 0331. I would take full advantage of it if I were you.

Bornagain
07-01-11, 04:46 PM
You were given several responses but the one above will give you the answers you seek, direct from a SERVING 0331. I would take full advantage of it if I were you.

Yes Sir.

Bornagain
07-01-11, 05:29 PM
Well, kid, My roommate and I somehow read this whole topic without loosing our minds, and lucky for you, I'm an 0331,and he's an 0311, and We may be able make this clear.

However, We will only answer if you ask us directly. Not going back to the older questions because I just don't feel like it.

Is it alright if I just PM you? This thread is getting pretty long.

Mongoose
07-03-11, 07:05 PM
I was a gunner in the 3/26 in 68-69. Being a gunner in those times was not a day at the beach. If you had a long fire fight, you would need to switch positions fairly regularly. They loved to walk those mortors in on the heavy guns. It's not a cake walk being a gunner.

GunRun
07-04-11, 04:50 AM
They did back then, and they still do now. Thankfully, I'm in a line company and the M240 is fairly easy to pick up and haul ass with. Not a big fan of those 82mm mortars the Talibunnies drop on us from time to time.

Anyways kid, I will reply to your PM as soon as I get the time.

BetioBastard
07-05-11, 12:31 AM
I was an 0311 and played in the sandbox twice from 06-07 and 07-08. The main difference between an 11 and a 31 is that there are less 31’s and they often picked up rank faster than us. Another difference is Infantry school. The 31’s had to hump their guns everywhere as well as their rifle. I only had to carry my rifle and pack. Once you get to the fleet many 31’s do what the 11’s do and most weapons platoon guys hate having to tag along with a squad instead of doing gun drills or whatever else those guys did. You shouldn't do open contract because as stated before you can end up being a cook. It's rare that you get a gauranteed designation. I went as an 03XX and once I was in ITB I chose 11. Hope that helps. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Bornagain
07-05-11, 01:53 AM
Thank you Sir, that was pretty helpful. Sorry for the PM I got confused on which post was which. (the deployment post) So excuse me. I may have came off as rude which I wasn't trying to do, so i apologize.