PDA

View Full Version : A question from a new Marine

Sniperfox
06-17-11, 09:44 AM
I've been searching all over and haven't found an answer so here I am to ask my new brothers and sisters directly. I leave for MCT this Monday and I was curious if they allow you to bring and take a multivitamin during training?

I wasn't sure if this was the right section to post so if it wasn't, please steer me that way.

Semper fi

SergeantStokes
06-17-11, 01:19 PM
I went to MCT in 1998 and they allowed cigarettes and chewing tobacco. We called it "Mass Consumption of Tobacco" for MCT. If they will allow that, I don't see why you can't take a vitamin!

SergeantStokes
06-17-11, 01:47 PM
Best answer I can give you is this: the Marine Corps is going to put you where the Marine Corps needs you most. You may get into the 03XX field, but wherever you go, work harder, run faster, shoot straighter, and study longer than any of your fellow Marines. Listen to your NCOs. Study your knowledge. Look sh!t hot wherever you go, both on and off duty. Be a leader, but earn that role through hard work and exemplary skills.

Do all of this, and you can write your ticket in the Corps. Your first few years may not be in the MOS you want, but pick up a couple of meritorious ranks and outshine your peers and you will be able to LAT move into pretty much anything.

I was the honor grad at Corporal's Course and picked up meritorious Sergeant and was offered my choice of jump school, DI school, or the presidential helicopter squadron (HMX-1) to re-enlist. I opted to get out, but my point is there are options for the best of the best.

Stay motivated!

Sgt. Stokes

haebyungdae
06-18-11, 08:46 PM
There should be no problem with taking a multivitamin at MCT. If you are still wary of whether you can or not when you arrive you can always ask one of your instructors. It's not like bootcamp where they strip you of contraband, and the instructors are way more approachable.

Sniperfox
06-18-11, 10:21 PM
Cool, I figured anyway... What are they going to say? "No, we dont want our new Marines to be healthy." lol

Marine1011
06-19-11, 11:23 AM
also permitted is drinking a glass of water to wash it down.
They also let you eat what you want in the chow halls, this is part of the freedom after boot camp where there are no dis around and you can go on liberty too and maybe take in the movie of your choice. It feels good to have that freedom after boot camp for a change.

TheReservist
06-20-11, 06:00 PM
I would check with the instructors once you get down there. I remember hearing from my junior Marines that they banned supplements for the main fact that it caused them to not retain water.

Also, I've heard that many of the instructors ban tobacco products and cell phone usage.

This is all second hand from other Marines from a couple years ago. So take it for what it's worth.

wildwoman73
06-20-11, 06:25 PM
I would check with the instructors once you get down there. I remember hearing from my junior Marines that they banned supplements for the main fact that it caused them to not retain water.

Also, I've heard that many of the instructors ban tobacco products and cell phone usage.

This is all second hand from other Marines from a couple years ago. So take it for what it's worth.

I would stop breathing...drop right there.

Isrowei
06-20-11, 06:57 PM
Supplements are not multi-vitamins. In almost any regimented training environment, performance-enhancing supplements are not allowed due to the irregularities within each person that they can have. If medical personnel are confronted with a medical emergency during a training situation, the last thing they want to worry about is what supplements they person may have had within the last two weeks that may interfere or react with the medication they may be about to receive.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-20-11, 11:22 PM
So, to sum up:

"Supplements" bad.

Over the counter Flintstone Gummy Vitamins...Good.

:)

A one a day or geritol or whatever isn't going to be an issue. Weird body enhancing supplement stuff that makes your crank fall off and nuts shrivel...bad.

Just my worthless opine...

fpdesignco
06-24-11, 11:50 AM
I go through two bottles of gummy vitamins per three weeks; Just should'nt be so delicious. Amazon, I fund your website, youre welcome.

LoveOfCountry
06-27-11, 04:23 PM
EAST COAST MCT

Here is a complete read-up:
MCT Schedule and Facts (http://www.kevinwebb22.com/marine-corps-training/marine-combat-training-schedule-mct)

You can take vitamins to MCT.

No cell phones, tabacco products, candy, food, etc.

You can take your cell, but it will be collected and handed out if the time comes for you to use it.

jerry05031111
06-28-11, 01:59 AM
I went to MCT in 1998 and they allowed cigarettes and chewing tobacco. We called it "Mass Consumption of Tobacco" for MCT. If they will allow that, I don't see why you can't take a vitamin!

LoveOfCountry
06-28-11, 09:21 AM
Jerry,

They don't allow that stuff at MCT anymore. You can have it at SOI, as SOI is looked at as an MOS school - MCT is not.

MCT was just a little less strict than boot camp (on the east coast).

From what I've heard, the west coast is way more laid back and less strict.