PDA

View Full Version : New here, having a job in the DEP

Bayou22
06-16-11, 03:48 PM
Hi I had a question.

While in the DEP, do you think it would be wise to be reserve officer in the Police Department? I got a call for an interview today (I sent an application in a few months ago..before enlistment) as a reserve police officer. I ship out about 6 months from now. The job only requires about 10-20 hours of work a month. If I explain the situation to the PC and my recruiters, does it sound like good thing? Police officers welcome to respond!

Thanks!

Pwork703
06-16-11, 06:10 PM
Hells yea go for it. I've been in the DEP since February and I work 50-60 hours a week. Just make sure you can still go to PT and pool functions regularly. Never let a job you have now get in the way of your goals though.

Dutch 44
06-16-11, 07:21 PM
Hi I had a question.

While in the DEP, do you think it would be wise to be reserve officer in the Police Department? I got a call for an interview today (I sent an application in a few months ago..before enlistment) as a reserve police officer. I ship out about 6 months from now. The job only requires about 10-20 hours of work a month. If I explain the situation to the PC and my recruiters, does it sound like good thing? Police officers welcome to respond!

Thanks!

I dont see why not, as long as there is a clear understanding that the few responsibilities you have in the dep supersede those of the police department and they have no problem with that or your limited time at home.

dotKev
06-16-11, 09:18 PM
As the others have suggested, it shouldn't be a problem, but definitely make it a priority to attempt to get to PT and pool functions as I've seen many poolees who don't come regularly and it really affects them (negatively, of course).

Also, I had a job for a good amount of the time in the DEP; I just told my employer that I'd need the days for PT off, which happened to be Tuesdays and Thursdays. They didn't have a problem.

Bayou22
06-19-11, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna talk with my recruiter tomorrow about it!

IHaveEGA843
06-20-11, 05:31 AM
I currently work a full time job and in the DEP. If your recruiter is cool with it and respect the fact that you wont be avail for every meet then you're good to go.

Mine is cool with it because he know I can run a good IST so he doesn't bother me about it but I still vouch to show up atleast twice a month.