PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding IU and SSDI

lmholmes11
06-14-11, 01:01 PM
Hello Marines,

I am rated SC at 80% for PTST, Tinnitus, TBI and Migrains. Due do my residuals of each my social worker and primary care Doctor both highly recommend that I put in for IU. When I got awarded my 80% about a year and a half ago they sent along the form for me to apply for IU, but I wasn't about to give up and not work, however I now realize my conditions are not improving and I cannot work. Currently I do have a part time job. The job I had before this one I quit do to PTSD and migrains. (The VA recogizes this). In order for me to have a shot at getting awarded IU do I have to quit my job before I apply for IU? I simply cannot afford to quit, and then wait who knows how long for me to get approved for IU...i have two children and a wife who is currently not working. What does everyone think? I plan to submit a letter explaining this along with other things along with my application for IU. I am also researching VSO Officers in my area to help with my claim, however I want to see what everyone on here says also.

My next question is regarding SSDI. I have used the online "Non official pre approval" calculator (for lack of a better term) and I am qualified for disability insurance (provided that i am determined disabled by my state). I am only 25; how does my monthly ammount get determined? I read something about my past taxable income is a determining factor; but I am concerned because I have limited work experience.

Thanks Marines

Semper Fi

lmholmes11
06-15-11, 05:21 PM
Anyone?

DocGreek
06-15-11, 07:28 PM
.....WHY......isn't your "VA-REP" advising you on how to proceed?? I was automatically "put-in" for unemployability, by my "Service-Rep".....just had to sign the form!
Get a diagnostic summary from your shrink, stating that you CAN NOT work.
PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT ALL TURNS OUT!!
SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek....:flag:

Sgt Leprechaun
06-16-11, 04:16 AM
I"m in a similiar, sort of situation. Have to work as I'm not yet even rated (don't get me started on THAT).

PM 'Rhode Island' if he doesn't stop by and reply. He helped me for sure and can more than likely help you as well.

I don't know the answer(s) to your question but I'm curious myself.

oldtop
06-16-11, 08:55 AM
In reference to your IU problem...you must be what the VA calls "permanently and totally" disabled from service connected conditions alone to be granted IU...HOWEVER..you CAN still work under certain conditions...1..You cannot exceed 25 hours per week; 2..the work must be at or near "minimum wage"; and 3.. it must be considered "make work"..(example...you work for a family member, close friend, or relative, and the job is one that was "created" to give you something to do, like washing cars at a car lot, sweeping floors, etc). I once had a good friend that applied for IU, he was 80%, and worked 120 hours per YEAR..VA denied IU until he quit the job...why??..because in that 120 hours per year, he earned 60 to 80 THOUSAND dollars.
(YEAH...I want that job too)

I can't answer question #2.. no experience there.

VA has "computer matching" with other federal agencies, particularly with social security and the IRS...sooooooooo any employment that collects social security, medicare, fica, etc.. will be reported to the VA. I always said if I were to get IU, I'd lay in some cypress boards, and build cypress swings to sell at the local craft fairs, or maybe build cabinets or furniture to sell at the fairs...strictly a cash business, no reporting anything to anyone, and the ability to completely set my own hours, days, and worh conditions....good luck with your claim... also remember, if you have a "financial hardship",, you can request that your claim be expedited. Sometimes that works, sometimes not...pot luck with expedite requests.

lmholmes11
06-18-11, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replys.

So in order for me to be considered for IU, i have to be 80% P&T, instead of just 80%? (There is a chance for me to have to do a re evaluation)

Zulu 36
06-18-11, 12:32 PM
Social Security works a lot different than VA (but can be just as aggravating).

First, assuming you are determined by SS to be disabled, the amount of money will depend on several factors. First, do you have enough "good" fiscal quarters where you were contributing FICA withholding. With your military service and civilian jobs, as long as FICA was withheld, you should be OK there. Also, the total amount of FICA you contributed goes into the calculation somehow.

Second, they will take into account if you have dependents (minor children) as you will get money for them too.

You will have to take a physical and mental health evaluation (normally conducted by a social agency of your state). They will look at military and VA documentation if you provide them. Then a decision will be made, yes or no. With SS, either you are disabled or you're not. No percentage and they don't necessarily care if VA rates you disabled or not.

They send your money to you. They send your dependent's money to a "representative payee" which can be you if they are minors.

Also, SSD has some income earning restrictions too. I forget the monthly amount, but it's about $800/per month, and the work cannot be considered substantial. Back to the make work kind of stuff.

IGNACIO CASTIL
06-19-11, 06:16 PM
This is what can do!IU can be granted because your at 80% already.Have all your medical papers for every condition that the VA has diagnois you with.This is called your C&P exams that have been completed,take all the paper work to your local VFW,and see there Post Service Officer.That officer will type out a statement with all your conditions that have a percentage,then take that letter to your local DVA and they will handle it from there.I don't know where you live at,but I do this at our local VFW.I just got my IU in March,had to wait 16 months.With IU you can not work at all,you get caught working you lose everything.

I.H.Cast
Semper Fi

oldtop
06-20-11, 10:11 AM
The key words here are "unable to obtain or maintain GAINFUL employment solely based on service connected conditions" which is what is necessary in order for IU to be granted...in VA speak, GAINFUL employment means more that 25 hours per week, and better than minimum wage. There are some other considerations regarding exactly what is "gainful" employment as well. "Make WorK" is usually not considered "gainful" employment, provided it meets the minimum wage or less, and 25 hours or less criteria.