PDA

View Full Version : Gonna run all day till the runnin's done

NewDogOldBreed
06-10-11, 10:35 PM
I haven't ran in over a year and a half. Felt motivated yesterday and went for a nice run. I made it 11 miles before I couldn't go any further. Will doing this often help me prepare for boot?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 11:45 PM
11 miles??? Did someone bring you home? LOL. What was your time?

TL Cunningham
06-10-11, 11:58 PM
Wow, what is not a long time for you? 2 days? Are you from Kenya? How did you feel afterwards? Cause honestly if you can do that with no ill effects boot camp will probably be a breeze for you!

NewDogOldBreed
06-11-11, 01:12 AM
It's been a year and a half since I last ran. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes. And yes, I definatly got a ride home. I was nearly worthless today. Which sucked because I work 12 hour shifts on my feet working like a dog. I now realize that I'm not in the shape I was in high school. 245 pounds is a lot of chewed bubble gum to carry that far. I really should have not done so much right off the bat, but my buddies said it was impossible, so I had to prove them wrong. Even though I feel like an arthritic old man right now, I also feel motivated to start running tomorrow. Baby steps this time. 5 a day seems reasonable.

USNAviator
06-11-11, 07:58 AM
"and went for a nice run."

A nice run? For me 11 miles is a nice drive.....:D You might want to consider working on your speed as well. Being able to run long distances isn't going to do you any good if you can't keep up with your platoon

Good luck to you!

SGT7477
06-11-11, 08:10 AM
Looks like you can run with the wind,lol, Semper Fidelis.

TL Cunningham
06-11-11, 08:34 AM
Looks like you can run with the wind,lol, Semper Fidelis.

He's right. But keep in mind bootcamp incorporates many things. Such as, speed, endurance (muscular and cardio), strength, and determination. You may able to run 11 miles right off the bat BUT you might be dead afterwards or the next day. To make it through boot camp, you will need muscular and cardiovascular endurance and a lot of determination. You will need to be able to consistently be able to run medium level distances and perform above average strength exercises. You get 3-8 hours of sleep depending on your drill instructors and schedule. Just being able to run long distances or fast or being a meat head will not guarantee success. Some people are able to come into boot camp and it be a breeze but these are generally people who are in Ironman condition or are skinny cardio freaks who have no problem doing exercises of their own body weight.

Old Marine
06-11-11, 10:38 AM
Eleven miles after not running for a year and a half. If you continue to do that you will need both knees replaced by the time you are 30. Good luck to ya.

Tennessee Top
06-11-11, 10:53 AM
No need to over-train and risk injury.

Running injuries are common at MCRD. Normally when you see a recruit platoon, there will be at least one individual tagging along on crutches (saw it myself last week at MCRD PI) sometimes more.

It's OK to train hard but use common sense and pay attention to any signals your body is giving you.