View Full Version : Sometimes women are hot, sometimes they're not

Sparrowhawk
10-21-03, 08:47 PM
Auburn Journal

10/15/03

Controversial column chafes college
Sierra students, professor angry at writer's views on 'hot girls' on campus

By Erin Gallup-Main

A Sierra College student newspaper column titled "Sierra girls aren't really all that 'Hot'" has the writer, editor and student adviser sweating this week after administrators received dozens of complaints.

The Sierra College Outlook published Nicholas Louis' opinion piece in the October edition of the student-run newspaper. Since then, Editor Erik Fritts-Davis said one teacher in particular, Scott Suneson, has asked his students to protest the column.

Kent Pollock, the newspaper's adviser, said Suneson asked college administrators to terminate his employment over the issue. More than 50 students and faculty members attended a 5 p.m. board meeting Tuesday, but only Fritts-Davis spoke about the issue. Suneson was not present.

"I've heard many complaints about the article. People have been saying it was inappropriate," Fritts-Davis said. "But the newspaper stands behind our decision to run it."

Pollock is very familiar with freedom-of-speech issues. He is a former Sacramento Bee editor and currently is executive director of the California First Amendment Coalition. He said the column, which was placed on the "Commentary" page, is protected under the First Amendment.

"I found the article to be offensive on the behalf of girls but I don't find that a reason not to run one man's opinion," Pollock said after the board meeting. "That's the beauty of journalism - to create energy in the community."

Sierra College President Kevin Ramirez said he doesn't agree with the column either, but he will defend the student's right to express his opinion.

"I think the debate that has ensued after that article was published is exactly what the learning process is about," Ramirez said before the Tuesday evening meeting. "I don't think colleges should be in the business of censorship."

Fritts-Davis said anyone is allowed to submit their opinion pieces to the newspaper and he welcomes 300-word letters to the editor on the subject.

"There's a rumor that Playboy magazine ranked Sierra College in the top five campuses for hot girls," Fritts-Davis said. "Last semester we asked a student to check it out. She called the magazine, but they couldn't find any records as to us having this distinction. I think that's why (Nicholas Louis) came to write this editorial."

Louis, a 21-year-old student with long unwashed hair and a hemp necklace with St. Peter on it, stated in his opinion piece that he disagrees with the rumor.

"Sierra College doesn't have the hottest girls, unless you are incredibly superficial," he wrote. "By superficial I'm addressing those that are immersed in nice clothes, the mall, cell phones, cars and Vogue magazine."

Freshman Gina Dailey said the rumor is true. She claims to have seen the edition of Playboy with the ranking of colleges by the female students' "hot" factor.

Dailey might fall into Louis' category of "superficial" girls. The student was talking on her cell phone in a midriff-baring shirt outside the library Tuesday afternoon.

"I don't agree with (Louis') article," she said. "In fact, I've heard just the opposite, that we are highly known for having good-looking girls."

Louis said the Playboy rumor made a mockery out of the school, which he attends to get an education - not to meet girls.

"It's a hot topic that's in the back of everybody's mind," Louis said. "I wrote it because it needed to be said."