PDA

View Full Version : Curious as to what you think of this.

jdubbya
06-10-11, 01:33 AM
Should she be allowed to wear her dress blues or not?

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/06/09/marine-not-allowed-to-wear-uniform-for-high-school-graduation/?hpt=us_bn4

boomer56328
06-10-11, 01:41 AM
If that is what they have always required and don't make any exceptions, then no I don't have a problem with it. If there have been exceptions made before and they aren't allowing her just because it's a Marine or any military uniform, then I do.

awbrown1462
06-10-11, 06:40 AM
:thumbup:
If that is what they have always required and don't make any exceptions, then no I don't have a problem with it. If there have been exceptions made before and they aren't allowing her just because it's a Marine or any military uniform, then I do.

Old Marine
06-10-11, 09:25 AM
I would suppose its like regulations in the Corps. If you are told to wear a certain uniform to formation,, that is the uniform for the formation. If the prescribed dress for their graduation is Cap & Gown, that is the uniform for graduation.

Let me say, that if she wants to wear her uniform under the Cap & Gown, I would do it. As soon as the fraduation is over remove the Cap & gown and you are in uniform and proud of it. I doubt that any of the school administrators (dip sh!ts) would have anything to say. I am betting that most of those kids will have on shorts or baggy pants under their gowns and not one word will be said to them.

Vandrel
06-10-11, 10:25 AM
Looks like the school released a statement and is allowing her to wear it now saying "Starr will now be allowed to wear her dress blues at Friday night's graduation ceremony." "Starr has the full support of the principal and her district".

Interesting story really, I went through the same thing in a way except my time gap was much larger then hers. I already had a year of service and was a Lance doing pre-deployment work ups for the MEU by the time my classmates were graduating from the 12th grade. I never bothered to go back for the graduation.

jrhd97
06-10-11, 11:14 AM
One of the articles I read on this stated the school had denied similar requests like this in the past. At that point this young Marine should of dropped it. Marines are taught to follow orders.
Since the school has changed there mind it's now a non-issue. The question is, will her wearing her blues under the cap and gown put her in violation of Marine Corps policy on the wearing of dress uniforms.

ChuckH
06-10-11, 12:06 PM
On the other hand...
She is a United States Marine... who gives a crap about walking with her former classmates at a graduation.

Zulu 36
06-10-11, 03:53 PM
One of the articles I read on this stated the school had denied similar requests like this in the past. At that point this young Marine should of dropped it. Marines are taught to follow orders.
Since the school has changed there mind it's now a non-issue. The question is, will her wearing her blues under the cap and gown put her in violation of Marine Corps policy on the wearing of dress uniforms.

I've seen this issue come up in the years past. I believe it is OK to wear academic regalia over your uniform while participating in a commencement exercise as far as the Marine Corps is concerned. But, the Marine Corps will back the school if they have other rules (as they did here).

USNAviator
06-10-11, 04:18 PM
I have no idea re. the high school level. But the only place I've even seen a uniform worn to a commencement is at the service academies.

Even members of N/Rotc attend a separate commissioning ceremony post baccalaureate services. When they attend commencement, they wear civilian attire under the gown