PDA

View Full Version : FAP Billets?

ryanficken
06-09-11, 08:07 PM
'Rah Motivators,

Got a few questions for any Marines with knowledge on the Fleet Assistance Program, also known as FAP. So here's my situation:

I'm aboard Camp Lejeune, I'll be headed back to the ol' Staniland by the end of this year and returning in the middle of next year. My EAS date will be 10-12 months later, which is quite a large gap, however IF we do deploy again, I won't make the following deployment without extending (and I won't be). So that leaves me with a few options: 1) I FAP out to wherever. 2) I PCA or PCS. 3) I stay in the unit for their next work-up, remain on RBE and EAS when I EAS. Option 3 is the dumbest in my opinion for the individual and the unit. It's a waste of training, the taxpayer's money, the unit's time and resources, and the Marine's time, but it happens... more than it should. Anyways, enough of my typical Terminal Lance b*tching and moaning, here are my questions:

1) Do you have a choice when it comes to if you'll FAP out, where you'll FAP out to and what you'll be doing? I've asked around a little and from what I've gathered by asking some of the Marines I work with, you may or may not be selected to FAP, and may or may not be given a few options on where to go, such as Stone Bay, Twentynine Palms (as a coyote), somewhere in Division/Regiment, etc.

2) What are some of the best places to get get FAP'ed to? So far, I've heard the rifle range (Stone Bay) and Twentynine Palms are pretty nice places to work. Note that I don't mean to sound unmotivated, but when I return, the countdown to EAS will be on. I have my reasons for not staying in.

3) How job/rank/certification-specific are certain FAPs? I'm an 0351, plain and simple. My cutting score closed out in December, and before then it was mid-to-high 1700s. I have a few certs here and there, HMWVV/MRAP/MAT-V license, a clearance (I won't be too specific), a chaser cert, etc. But what are the FAPs I can and cannot do?

4) How likely/unlikely is it to go to another coast for a FAP? Here's the thing, I'm from Las Vegas. After SOI, I was sent to the east coasts. 'Twas my very first lesson in 'needs of the Marine Corps'. So, if at all possible, it'd be awesome if I could spend my final few months in the Marines just a few hours' drive from my home.

Sorry this is a bit of a longer post, but if anyone has any answers, hints, knowledge, anything really... all responses are very appreciated and definitely... absorbed, for lack of a better word. Just trying to plan for my future!! Thanks for reading and have a good one!

fpdesignco
06-09-11, 08:19 PM
SGT Major usually gets a list from division of spots he has to fill or can fill (fap you out), then it goes down to the companies for names so talk to your First Sergeant.

ryanficken
06-09-11, 08:27 PM
Doesn't really surprise me. Do you know what is more common and less common? That's one of those things I'd have to keep digging into 1stSgt about, because from the time we get back, it'll be up to me if I want to move somewhere, and that'd be last on his to-do list. Hmmm. I would imagine there's no steps I can really take to ensure something like that happens until I get back, huh?

fpdesignco
06-09-11, 08:48 PM
Doesn't really surprise me. Do you know what is more common and less common? That's one of those things I'd have to keep digging into 1stSgt about, because from the time we get back, it'll be up to me if I want to move somewhere, and that'd be last on his to-do list. Hmmm. I would imagine there's no steps I can really take to ensure something like that happens until I get back, huh?

Yeah, im speaking of hand man, but any move your going make as far as a PCS is going to go through the career planner and HQMC 'Monitor' (should be one for the RCT) But a FAP on Lejeune or going out to be a coyote is going to be on your command from how I understand it, if they want to let you go as well as the spots actually being avaliable. When we got back from Afghanistan after the whole marjah deal a few months later they realized that half our bn was not going to be deployable for the next pump so they FAP'd them out to Division Training Center, Camp Johnson Guard, Range, Coyote, and that South American float on the cyclic. Good luck!

Phantom Blooper
06-09-11, 09:11 PM
Ask to be a lifeguard at the base pool....year round.....or the outside summer pools or Onslow Beach....if you can speak to your 1st Sgt after your pump or deployment is winding down before going back to CONUS......possible NICE benefits...

If you were a SNCO you could probally work at the club....:beer:

fpdesignco
06-09-11, 09:30 PM
...... I think I would bribe my First Sergeant to get fap'd to the beach. So glorious, I also heard MCCS takes FAP's from a friend and all those guys do is play dress up in business attire and head around to the greater jacksonville area putting togother events. Hopefully you dont get fap'd to the MP's if you go that route; Never heard a positive story.

Ask to be a lifeguard at the base pool....year round.....or the outside summer pools or Onslow Beach....if you can speak to your 1st Sgt after your pump or deployment is winding down before going back to CONUS......possible NICE benefits...

If you were a SNCO you could probally work at the club....:beer:

Tegan
06-09-11, 10:52 PM
Check out this MARADMIN.. I just read about it a few days ago.. It might apply to you..?

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN303-11.aspx/

Actually.. I don't think it does..But all my buddies that were grunts got FAP'd to the Pool and the Gym.

ryanficken
06-10-11, 11:03 AM
FP, out of curiosity, were you 3/6? Understood if you'd rather not say, but we relieved 3/6 from Marjah.

I'd be pretty down to do lifeguard type work and stuff, I was a lifeguard throughout my high school years. I definitely have also heard MP sh!t and front gate duty is no bueno. Would probably also extend if for some reason I could tack on to a MEU. I really appreciate all the answers so far.

Oh, and Tegan, though it may not relate to the topic at hand, it is helpful for an option that I may choose to pursue considering the Marine Corps continues it. Thank you!

ARTYPIG
06-10-11, 03:35 PM
I got FAP'd to PMO at 29 Palms. I thought it was great, However, I was also made a Watch Commander so I was in charge of the patrol, and gate guards as well as the Sierra Posts which sucked for the...

Phantom Blooper
06-10-11, 03:42 PM
I guess it depends on what you get.

That is probally true....however if you start further back and request to the right people you maybe able to be on Baywatch....

;)<!-- / message -->