PDA

View Full Version : Because Life is Precious’

Sparrowhawk
10-21-03, 03:12 PM
How Precious Life is.

http://vietnamdiary.bizland.com/cookpoems.jpg

Everyday I realize how precious life is, how we as Marines have experienced much more then others all around us.

Some of us have had that opportunity in life to have fought for life and some of us have taken the life of others in war.

Others have seen Marines die protecting other Marines and our way of life. Anyone can take a life, to realize how precious life is, you have to fight for it.

When I first arrived in Vietnam in June 1967 I was assigned to Guns, India Company 3/7, 1st Marine Division and there I met an M-60 a-gunner by the name of John Niedringhaus 1966-67. He was my a-gunner the first time I opened up in combat and he still has the burn marks on the small of his back from the hot brass cartridge coming out the gun’s receiver.

John when I first met him shared these words with me.

"For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor, the protected will never know."

I wrote down those words back in June 1967, wrote them on the cover of my notebook that served as my diary. I still have that rice paddy soiled notebook cover, with those words written on the inside and every once in awhile I read them over again, and realize how fortunate I have been.

Everyday, I realize more and more how precious life is.

When I hear about a Marine, like Lance Cpl. Sok Khak Ung who died in his father's arms early Sunday morning. It only makes me realize more and more how we often have little to say about life.

Both Ung and his father had survived a war, the elder in Cambodia, his son in Iraq.

Ung a Marine had been awarded the Purple Heart after surviving an explosion during the Iraq war. He was shot to death and a family friend was mortally wounded at a barbecue near Long Beach's Little Cambodia in an ambush for which police said Monday they had no motive. Wounded in Iraq in war only to come home and killed in the streets of America.

I feel I have lived a rich life and don't fear death. I feel I have lived on borrowed time since 1967, but I also realize I have an obligation to other Marines that didn't make it home To live the life they gave for us to enjoy the freedom we do today. To live for them, is an obligation we have, we owe them that.

How about you, have you tasted life with all of its sweetness and yet so much of its bitterness.

Last night as I spoke to my cousin about her fathers PTSD symptoms, I shared with her what her father has been going through all these years and she realized for the first time, how a war so many years ago, still effects her father today.

Yet, she also realized how much he values life, and the world we have today.

What are your thoughts?

JAMarine
10-21-03, 06:46 PM
I have not heard that story yet. I will try and find it. If you have time and can send a copy of the story, please send it to me.

I can not relate to your combat stories. I can only imagine the pain of the many memories you and others hold inside your hearts.

I have however, fought in the streets of our nation as a Civilian Police Officer and Military Policeman. And yes, some of those fights were actions to save my own our someone else's life.

I have been shot at and missed and shot at and hit. That is all I want to say about that.

I do understand how precious life is.

I have seen the breath of life leave a small child I held in my arms after he was beat to unconsciousness by an outragged parent.

I have held the hand of a man as I prayed with him after he had been shot by an assailant and was bleeding to death in the middle of a city street.

I have given the breath of life back to more people I can remember after Assaults, Fires, Accidents, Suicide Attempts and others. And I have seen my share of lifeless bodies.

I do understand how precious life is. I see it everyday as I look into the eyes of my children and my wife. I don't believe I'm living on borrowed time but feel very lucky to be here today responding to your post.

I don't get on the Posts here much and I'm for the most part pretty quiet in the Chat. I don't understand sometimes why things I do want to respond to depress me most.

Oh well such as life.

Thanks for you my Friend Sparrowhawk.

Sgt Sostand
10-21-03, 07:13 PM
Life is Precious and you know what most people dont care that the sad part about it. i wacth the news and everyday here in Houston some one shoot some one over nothing a couple weeks ago they kill a store owner over a 6 Pack of beer. life is precious
and i will never for get that

Sparrowhawk
10-21-03, 07:56 PM
After Nam serving with LAPD for 22 years never allowed me to relax and enjoy life as I do now. Like you I saw a lot on the force and I cannot find comfort with other law enforcement officers as I can with Marines, here and elsewhere.

Sometimes I come here and see you there alone and on watch in the chat room, and I know everything is all right with the world.

Sempers, Bro

Cook

Originally posted by JAMarine
I have not heard that story yet. I will try and find it. If you have time and can send a copy of the story, please send it to me.

Jam here's that story as Roger posted earlier

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10418&highlight=killed

Marine who earned Purple Heart in Iraq shot to death in Long Beach

Tuesday October 21, 2003
LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) A Marine who earned a Purple Heart after being wounded by shrapnel in Iraq was shot to death while celebrating his return to the United States.

Lance Cpl. Sok Khak Ung, 22, who was stationed at Camp Pendleton, and a family friend, Vouthy Tho, 21, of Long Beach, were shot at 1:07 a.m. Sunday while partying in a garage.

A gunman reached over a wooden fence next to the garage and fired six to eight shots before fleeing, police spokeswoman Nancy Pratt said Sunday.

Ung, who earned a Purple Heart after he was hit by shrapnel from a land mine during his tour of duty in Iraq, was hit three times, once in the head and twice in the torso.

Tho, a 21-year-old aspiring rapper who was about to release an album, was shot once in the head, officials said. He was pronounced dead Monday night after being hospitalized in critical condition, said police spokesman Greg Schirmer.

The motive for the shooting wasn't known.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://kcal9.com/california/CA--IraqiMarine-Kille-kn/resources_news_html

JAMarine
10-21-03, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the words.
I too don't have much in common with todays Police/Sheriff. I have a few friends but I can't seem to relate to them. They are all going 90 mph and can't seem to slow down. I can only seem to relate to some Marines. Like I said before, the things I can relate to and remember depress me. My memories of those days depress me. I can remember the good things I did but the bad things and scenes overwelm those deeds.

So you understand what my words mean. You yourself can feel some of what I feel and dream about. I can appreciate that. I don't wish them on anyone but I appreciate it.

I guess we need to SLOW DOWN FIRST before we can see the past. Maybe that's where I have failed. I've slowed down. I guess that's a part of getting old-er ugh?

Your Friend

thedrifter
10-21-03, 08:52 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I'm still here..........Why I survived VietNam, I'll never fully understand. I'm here and thru me all My Brothers/Sisters who gave their lives in Viet Nam live on. I only hope that someday somebody will remember me as a Marine. I go to The Wall every year now to see my Brother/Sisters........I plan to do it until I pass thru the Pearly Gates and again am with my fellow Marines.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

There is such a fine line

between life and death.

Life is precious,

cherish every breath.

JAMarine
10-21-03, 08:59 PM
Amen.

troop901
10-22-03, 12:13 AM
Rich,
I too held a dying child in my arms. I will never get that image out of my mind. Some day some how I will come to terms with it as you will but I will never forget that day and that child, it still haunts me as I know it does' you. Some day and some how.
SF bro

Barndog
10-22-03, 05:54 AM
I've had to hold a dying child in my arms also. Unfortunately, he was my Son.

Today, he would have turned 18.

As much as I'd like to think I understand - I don't believe that it will ever be possible. Even though life is precious, there is nothing that says it is fair and equitable.

Semper Fidelis -

Barndog

In Memory Of:
Alex Anthony Barnhart
10/22/1985 - 12/16/1987

JAMarine
10-22-03, 06:16 PM
Here's to you and your Family. I'm sorry. That's all I can say. I could never know what that hurt must feel like.

In Memory Of:
Alex Anthony Barnhart
10/22/1985 - 12/16/1987

Alex, I pray you'll see your parents on a special day in the future. God Bless you son.

Fi Dog.

Sparrowhawk
12-07-04, 07:59 PM
Reflection, for the recollection of memories and sharing what life has given us.

Because life is precious, we live on borrowed time and everyday bring us closer to eternity and I often wonder what have I done to make this a better world to help others?

When I look at my daughters, my sons and see joy in their hearts and contentment with life, I feel that I have done alright, I have finished the course and everyday since November 21, 1967 has been lived on borrowed time.

Sometimes I feel I live in a shadow world that I left my soul, in the rice paddies of South East Asia, and this life I continue to live, is but a dream.

A dream that goes on and on, forever, and that there is still much to do in those dreams. To enjoy life and to share it with others and to do what my heart desires, and that I do.

Semper Fi Marines

Cook Barela

hector verduzco
12-07-04, 09:01 PM
I myself have not been in a war zone, but being stateside rather in the corps or not, I had two (2) males die in my arms.
One at a night club in Pomona, ca. He said some words to me that I'll never forget. As I held him, his sister came by. Thats hurts, but for me to let it out and tell someone to this day helps me. It's therapy. The other person was driving past a park in Pomona,ca. I was only 15 yrs. The first shooting, I was 17 yrs.

Namvet67
12-08-04, 10:04 AM
Cook...your contributions to this web site is one thing that you have done to help others. It has helped me piece together a time in my life that I had put behind me. A time in my life that at times seems to be in a fog. Talking about it with my brothers has been good for my soul. Finding out what was real and what was a dream has helped. I know some of us really never come home from Vietnam....but with you help, I may be on the way back. Semper Fi brother