PDA

View Full Version : So an Army recruiter called me today

iamspartacus
06-09-11, 05:38 PM
For those of you who don't know, I got off active duty last fall and am currently in the IRR. Today I get a voicemail from a prior service Army recruiter. He just called me up out of the blue and said to give him a call back if I was interested in reserve opportunities with the Army. Needless to say, I hope he's not waiting by the phone for me to call him back. Never mind the fact that I'm already in the process of getting back in the Marine Corps reserves. But can you believe that!?! I have never shown any interest in the Army. Never given them so much as my name. Even before I joined the Corps I never talked with an Army recruiter. In fact I think I held my breath and closed my eyes ever time I had to walk past their office. And here they are wanting me to come join their ranks. No other branch has called me. Does anyone know if they are specifically trying to bring in people from other branches? Anyone ever experience this?

A buddy of mine actually told me the Army has a new recruiting poster out. It's a picture of a solider with a caption at the bottom that says, "Sometimes the best man for the job is a Marine". I've never seen it. Have any of you guys? I tried to look for it online but couldn't find it. If anyone has it, post it so we can all have a good laugh.

advanced
06-10-11, 08:49 AM
That is an incorrect statement. Should read;

"The best man for the job is a Marine." Reads and sounds so much better, don't you agree.

Cpl Heglar
06-10-11, 09:00 AM
What's his call back number, Lets all call him and say I was thinking about joining the Army. After he goes through his 30 minute spill of why the Army is great the next thing we'll say is but I joined the Marine Corps. That'll learn him.

Old Marine
06-10-11, 09:05 AM
All this guy was doing is his job. If you have a problem with it get you phone number on the National No Call List.

SGT7477
06-10-11, 09:18 AM
Makes their ranks stronger if they can get Marines, I myself couldn't wear the uniform of another branch but that's just me, Semper Fidelis.

Cpl Heglar
06-10-11, 10:22 AM
Makes their ranks stronger if they can get Marines, I myself couldn't wear the uniform of another branch but that's just me, Semper Fidelis.

Amen to that Brother!

:iwo:

Caesar Augustus
06-10-11, 01:13 PM
All this guy was doing is his job. If you have a problem with it get you phone number on the National No Call List.

Exactly. Some Marines really need to grow up. Maybe they should realize its them acknowledging that we are the best of the best and hoping to capitalize on the Corps stupidity in making re-enlistment absurdly hard.

Muztang11
06-10-11, 04:32 PM
If you are off contract it is a very hard and long process to get back in right now. Considering that they are offering early out packages and cutting back on recruiting the PS recruiters have it pretty easy.I tried for over a year to get back in the reserves, Went thru 2 different PSR's and many promises, visits and unanswered calls/voicemails. That is a year I won't get back. The last time I talked to the PSR he told me he couldn't work any more off contract waivers as he didn't need any bodies....So I talked to the Navy PSR when he mysteriously called the next day.Long story short I re-upped for 3 more years in the Navy reserve 10 days later...10 days not 10 months.Yes its going to be a change but I'm getting too old to wait, Not to mention they had a decent choice of jobs and I kept E-4.

3043pog
06-10-11, 07:28 PM
I blame the Army Recruiting branch for not having live bodies outside every Marine Corps SEPS platoon!Throw some bonuses around,and fill your ranks with professionals!

Caesar Augustus
06-10-11, 07:29 PM
Ugh SEPS/TAPS was the third most miserable experience in the Marine Corps lol

3043pog
06-10-11, 08:40 PM
Seps was my #1 and only complaint with my beloved Corps. I served honorably along with 3/4 of the Marines i separated with. We were herded around and treated with the same respect that the 10% that every good Marine abhors! I thought that there should have been 2 platoons,one with those who served honorably,and the other that the Corps. couldn't get out fast enough!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 11:48 PM
My wife actually got that poster out of one of the 'Times magazines, framed it, and gave it to me for Fathers day one year!

Yeah, dood is just doing his job fellars, don't harrass him. Seriously.

iamspartacus
06-13-11, 10:36 AM

I'm not dogging on the recruiter. I realize he is just doing what the Army is telling him to do. I don't care that he called me. I just find this method of recruiting curious. My dig is more at why the Army is trying so hard to bring in people from other branches as opposed to bringing in fresh high school grads or trying to keep the soldiers they have. If they have a problem with enlistments and retention, maybe there is a problem with the Army as an organization. No other branch seems to be having a problem right now.

CrockettJW
06-13-11, 01:27 PM
I'm not dogging on the recruiter. I realize he is just doing what the Army is telling him to do. I don't care that he called me. I just find this method of recruiting curious. My dig is more at why the Army is trying so hard to bring in people from other branches as opposed to bringing in fresh high school grads or trying to keep the soldiers they have. If they have a problem with enlistments and retention, maybe there is a problem with the Army as an organization. No other branch seems to be having a problem right now.

Getting someone who is prior service is almost a slam dunk. I wouldn't blame him for seeking out an easy target to fill his quota.

The Army has plenty of prior-service Marines serving on active duty and in the reserves. It makes a lot of sense for him to call up someone who is prior service to fill a reserve vacancies.

Advantages to the Army include having someone who has already served (is at least minimally intelligent, physically-capable, and not a drug-user or career criminal). They don't have to send you to basic training, either, so you can be filling a billet much faster than someone who has never served.

Advantages to the prior service Marine (or other branch) include continuing your service (maybe you don't care what branch at this point in your career), a unit close to home, or even a new MOS.

You may also find that the Army (or other branch) has more positions open and more locations to drill, which means you could drill close to home. I know a lot of reservists in other branches who travel pretty far to drill, some travel from one coast to the other and they have to pay for their travel expenses.

Sure, the Army isn't as good as the Corps, but I met a lot of soldiers who are pretty sharp, were well-trained, and were highly-motivated. I wouldn't be upset or insulted that a recruiter called, just realize that he's doing his job. He may even provide you with something beneficial.

iamspartacus
06-13-11, 01:58 PM
Geez guys, stop acting so sensible and join in with a good 'ol Army bashing fest like we all love to do!

sbryson21
06-13-11, 07:42 PM
Geez guys, stop acting so sensible and join in with a good 'ol Army bashing fest like we all love to do!

Errr Sgt! Fvck the Army! Man that feels good :)

SGT7477
06-13-11, 08:21 PM
Our SDI hated the army, maybe a bad experience in Nam, his best one was they look like a bunch of fvckin Christmas trees in their dress greens,lol, Never Forget, Semper Fidelis.:bunny:

DRB
06-14-11, 03:46 PM
Yeah, you may get a offer for a 18 series contract and those guys are the best our military has to offer.

YLDNDN6
06-15-11, 04:15 PM
I wanna be an airborne ranger!
I wanna live a life of danger!

I remember the same thing happening to me back in '87 when I got out. They seriously offered me cash and choice of a few select MOS's related to the intel field with a guarantee of E-5 on signing. Turned them down cold and never looked back.

Caesar Augustus
06-15-11, 06:50 PM
They offer me some cash to re-enlist and get a guaranteed chance to go to the most high speed schools you'd never see in the Corps, operate weapons we'd only see after they were considered old and operate under non PC ROE I'll take it. As a matter of fact I'm considering it now especially since its so hard to get back in the suck.

CrockettJW
06-15-11, 08:28 PM
They offer me some cash to re-enlist and get a guaranteed chance to go to the most high speed schools you'd never see in the Corps, operate weapons we'd only see after they were considered old and operate under non PC ROE I'll take it. As a matter of fact I'm considering it now especially since its so hard to get back in the suck.

It's worth considering. You've done the best, now try the rest.

Caesar Augustus
06-15-11, 08:39 PM
Yep. I mean don't get me wrong I've no illusions it will ever be the Corps or as good no matter what training but I'm 25 I sort of want to get a chance to do that before I'm to broken.

DRB
06-15-11, 08:48 PM
If I were a young man, in this day and age, I would join the Corps. I would attempt to join MARSOC or BUDS after my term in the Corps. It's easy to say these things now as a middle aged man. I never had any vision when I was young.

Caesar Augustus
06-15-11, 08:53 PM
If I were a young man, in this day and age, I would join the Corps. I would attempt to join MARSOC or BUDS after my term in the Corps. It's easy to say these things now as a middle aged man. I never had any vision when I was young.

**** BUDS...I hate the water as it is and its much to long of a wait just from seeing threads on here and from talking to a Marine recruiter to get back in. By the time I got them to let me back in I'd be haf way through whatever the training the Army sends me to, not to mention the SF community does join operations all the time and MARSOC is really young and not getting many things to do as of yet. They only just started tapping units for officers when we got back from Iraq. They stole our Plt Cmdr:(

DRB
06-15-11, 08:56 PM
**** BUDS...I hate the water as it is and its much to long of a wait just from seeing threads on here and from talking to a Marine recruiter to get back in. By the time I got them to let me back in I'd be haf way through whatever the training the Army sends me to, not to mention the SF community does join operations all the time and MARSOC is really young and not getting many things to do as of yet. They only just started tapping units for officers when we got back from Iraq. They stole our Plt Cmdr:(
You should seriously consider Special Forces. Those guys are very tight and I've heard many ex Marines do well with the Q course.

Caesar Augustus
06-15-11, 09:00 PM
You should seriously consider Special Forces. Those guys are very tight and I've heard many ex Marines do well with the Q course.

I'd considered it but I would much prefer direct action missions that are with in keeping with traditional infantry roles, just more precise and specialized as the Rangers are. The way I am I don't see myself being a good fit training up indigenous forces, winning the locals support and the like simply because my heart wouldn't be into it.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-15-11, 09:02 PM
They do, the army is FULL of "Former" Marines of all stripes. So is the Air Guard, etc.

Not a bad gig if you go in realizing you are JUST a number and until you are an E-8 you'll be treated like you treated your PFC's no matter what.

DRB
06-15-11, 09:02 PM
I'd considered it but I would much prefer direct action missions that are with in keeping with traditional infantry roles, just more precise and specialized as the Rangers are. The way I am I don't see myself being a good fit training up indigenous forces, winning the locals support and the like simply because my heart wouldn't be into it.

Rangers would be a good option. Marines have typically said good things about the regiment.

Caesar Augustus
06-15-11, 09:04 PM
Rangers would be a good option. Marines have typically said good things about the regiment.

I'm lucky to know two of them. One was wounded in Iraq the same time I was there and the other was in OIFII so I've been learning about their history and other than that training and deciding if I want to do this or not. No time like the present. I'm only getting older@!

DRB
06-15-11, 09:04 PM
Another good option is Air Force Pararescue. Some very sharp guys and they are finally starting to get some recognition.

Caesar Augustus
06-15-11, 09:07 PM
That one I know of but again their mission isn't something I'd really be interested and in something like that if you're not completely into it you shouldn't do it.

That and I think the AF might be the only branch harder than the Corps to get in PS.

DRB
06-15-11, 09:11 PM
That one I know of but again their mission isn't something I'd really be interested and in something like that if you're not completely into it you shouldn't do it.

That and I think the AF might be the only branch harder than the Corps to get in PS.

You seem set on a DA MOS. Ranger regiment would be your best option. Also, the 101st gets in on alot of action. They have been in the heart of the battle since the very beginning as far as Afghanistan is concerned.

Caesar Augustus
06-15-11, 09:21 PM
You seem set on a DA MOS. Ranger regiment would be your best option. Also, the 101st gets in on alot of action. They have been in the heart of the battle since the very beginning as far as Afghanistan is concerned.

I do, ever since I deployed and got out there it was like as if I just knew I should be doing this. Granted I was barely 19 but it was the first time I got to put my skills in anything to use and it just came natural which is odd coming from a sheltered kid who went to private school his entire life.

The 101 took a huge amount of casualties this past deployment to A'stan. I saw an article on it the other day.

DRB
06-16-11, 09:19 AM
A few thoughts I would like to share. There are some very good people in the Army, however, there are many people who should not be there. If you are a good soldier I promise you that you will be heavily utilized while others will be neglected. See it is easier to get a good soldier to perform rather than to try to motivate a dirtbag. There are a fair share of dirtbags in the Army. I am basing this on my experience alone which was many years ago. I do not think our culture has changed. If it has. It has gotten worst. I am basing this on my interactions with today's youth. They are much different than we were. They are not as physically active and have more of a sense of self entitlement. I am certain some of these types have slipped through the cracks and have made their way into the Regiment and the SF community, however, I bet their numbers are much lower than in the conventional army. I was offered some nice opportunities to reenlist. They offered me a few very nice options such as their nursing program and OCS. Those were the two most attractive options they presented me with. I told them I was not interested. They asked, "what it would take to keep me in the Army"? I told them there was nothing they could do that would keep me there. I still do not regret my decision to ETS. You seem like a good man, but you can tell only so much about a person online. If you are the man I think you are be prepared to work hard and probably more harder than most others around you. Good luck!

DRB
06-16-11, 09:33 AM
Something I left out. They tried to RUSH me through the process(NCO board and PLDC) to quickly become a NCO before my ETS date arrived. They thought this would have a huge impact on my decision to reup. It was a ridiculous effort, imo. One I did not comply with.

DRB
06-16-11, 09:38 AM
I can comment on post 34, as far as the Army having disciplinary problems.
They have more NJP, article 15s, courts-martial than any other service, not just in relation to their numbers, either.
They have the most disciplinary problems in the entire United States military.
It was like that 30 years ago and is true today. The Air Force and Navy have their share, but the Army has a much bigger share.

Lower enlistment standards than the other branches, perhaps???

CrockettJW
06-16-11, 10:20 AM
The Army is definitely a different animal. When I got out of the Corps and joined the Army Reserve, the transition wasn't without its challenges, but those are pretty easy to overcome.

DRB
06-16-11, 11:11 AM
We were trained not to like any other branch except the Corps. That was part of our training. And we are elite. But I disagree with some other folks who say the Army is nothing. People fought and died as soldiers in WWII, Vietnam, other wars, same as the Marines did in the South Pacific. So the Army did and does their part too. We only feel the way we do because we were in the best branch. That doesn't mean the other branches have no worth, though.
So I can see an Army recruiter reaching out----that's his job.

Yeah, the Army kicked alot of ass through the years especially 7th Corps during Desert Storm. :D

DRB
06-16-11, 11:19 AM
Yep, they all do their parts. Many Marines on here have commented on the Vietnam war and what it would have been like absent the USN and USAF air power flying over them.
So all in all, every branch not only has its function, but is a credit to the United States of America. We engage in friendly rivalry, but sometimes it can be unfriendly, and that's when we have to remember one thing----the Army is not the Corps and the Corps is not the Army---sounds simple and it is simple, but they are two different things and when we judge the Army by Corps standards, well---we just shouldn't.

Two different entities with different missions.

USNAviator
06-16-11, 11:30 AM
Right---but we compare them all the time. When we do, the Marines come out on top and the Army seems like nothing, and maybe it isn't, compared to the Corps, but it is still a military branch with a job to do.
The thing to do is not to compare the two. We don't do it with apples and oranges. Why do it with branches of the military?

I don't know Dave I think there is a pretty clear distinction as evidenced by the following

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3553/3357317054_0778af5a79.jpg

CrockettJW
06-16-11, 11:34 AM
When I joined the Army Reserve, I was conscious that when people would see me in uniform, they would see a soldier and not know that I was a Marine first. Plus, this was right after Desert Storm and all the soldiers who had been were wearing their combat patches. Having gone with the Corps, I didn't have a combat patch, so I would sometimes get treated as someone who hadn't gone, but that was never a major problem. It did lead to some interesting conversations, though.

CrockettJW
06-16-11, 11:37 AM
I don't know Dave I think there is a pretty clear distinction as evidenced by the following

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3553/3357317054_0778af5a79.jpg

Haha!

That picture looks like it was taken in-theater somewhere, too. I wonder if the guy went overseas as a wide-body or if he was kinda fat, then got bigger when he got there.

DRB
06-16-11, 11:38 AM
Right---but we compare them all the time. When we do, the Marines come out on top and the Army seems like nothing, and maybe it isn't, compared to the Corps, but it is still a military branch with a job to do.
The thing to do is not to compare the two. We don't do it with apples and oranges. Why do it with branches of the military?

You guys mostly do that. That is ok but do it in the proper manner. Compare yourselves to the Regiment or even the airborne units. Remember how well the 82nd did in Fallujah and the Marines not so well at first? The Army has had its moments.

DRB
06-16-11, 11:40 AM
Haha!

That picture looks like it was taken in-theater somewhere, too. I wonder if the guy went overseas as a wide-body or if he was kinda fat, then got bigger when he got there.

Notice you guys always compare yourselves to our lowest standard and not someone as handsome or tough as myself? :D

DRB
06-16-11, 11:43 AM
What is this "you guys"? I never compared the Army and Marine Corps on here. LOL

I meant the Marines in general. Soldiers typically do not discuss this. At least me and my friends never. My father constantly does. Everytime he sees me.

DRB
06-16-11, 11:44 AM
Are you in the Army?

I was years ago. Look at my profile. I have some pics of me and my unit in Desert Storm if you are interested.

CrockettJW
06-16-11, 11:46 AM
Notice you guys always compare yourselves to our lowest standard and not someone as handsome or tough as myself? :D

That's how it is in everything. We tend to view ourselves optimistically and generously and others pessimistically and look a the worst examples.

I remember in Boot Camp how everything that wasn't the Corps was bad. Civilians - bad. Women - bad (WMs - very bad). Army - bad. There were a lot of good examples, too: length of boot camp vs. basic training, what you have to do on your PFT/PT Test, what's needed to get a good score on the rifle range.

DRB
06-16-11, 11:48 AM
I see now, your profile says nothing about prior service. I see the photos now. But the profile says nothing about it.
You do know that there IS a reason we compare USMC to USA but they don't do it? :)
From my experience we never did but had great respect. I talked to many Marines out in that desert and my family has a few.

CrockettJW
06-16-11, 11:48 AM
I was years ago. Look at my profile. I have some pics of me and my unit in Desert Storm if you are interested.

Yeah, you should probably mention your prior service in your profile, and put the units in, too. No harm in giving people some information they can relate to.

DRB
06-16-11, 11:49 AM
Yeah, you should probably mention your prior service in your profile, and put the units in, too. No harm in giving people some information they can relate to.

Let me see if I can fit that info in there. I didn't think I could.

DRB
06-16-11, 11:51 AM
Well, maybe the system here automatically excludes Army info---just kidding, smile, now

I got it in there. ;)

DRB
06-16-11, 11:53 AM
Good---just sent you a friendship request, even though......never mind :)
I appreciate it. You seem youthful for your age. :D Same era as my father.

CrockettJW
06-16-11, 11:56 AM
Hey, 101st! I knew you were going to say that when you said you went to Austin Peay. I was in 3/502 from 1994 to 1996.

DRB
06-16-11, 11:57 AM
Hey, 101st! I knew you were going to say that when you said you went to Austin Peay. I was in 3/502 from 1994 to 1996.

That's interesting. I really enjoyed it down there.

DRB
06-16-11, 12:01 PM
DRB, about being youthful for my age, thanks for the diplomacy. I'm 64, feel like about 30 or so. Maybe it was that Marine training as opposed to Army training, who knows?

That's possible I guess. I feel about 25 myself.

DRB
06-16-11, 12:04 PM
Just kidding about the training........

Honestly, that stuff does not bother me at all because I understand the Marine mindset.

DRB
06-16-11, 12:10 PM
Just so you know that when I make reference to it, I am joking around, I know some others are not------good that you added that to your profile, your service info-----

I realize both points. I assumed people looked at my pics and made the connection. I also did not realize the profile function was capable of accepting all that info. Besides, I thought it only wanted my current circumstances.

Caesar Augustus
06-16-11, 04:09 PM
Damn I missed a lot lol

DRB
06-16-11, 05:52 PM
Damn I missed a lot lol

What makes this discussion so impressive is the maturity. Such a conversation would go all to hell on most other sites. This speaks volumes about the quality of people who are present here. I've learned that age does not always equal maturity. It's something you either have or do not have.

kenrobg30
06-16-11, 06:07 PM
What makes this discussion so impressive is the maturity. Such a conversation would go all to hell on most other sites. This speaks volumes about the quality of people who are present here. I've learned that age does not always equal maturity. It's something you either have or do not have.

Wait a minute!!! Are you guys calling me
childish??
I reseble that remark!! :confused: S/F!! Ken

Caesar Augustus
06-16-11, 07:58 PM

That is true. I was sort of surprised myself that it didn't go badly. I might have to tap you for more knowledge about the Army if I end up going that route. There is a high probability that may happen by years end.

Caesar Augustus
06-16-11, 08:05 PM
I can see where it could go badly, but it really shouldn't. I mean, we're all on the same side. We can joke around about the other services, but still-----

I think its usually when you have younger people especially on the Army side that it goes badly. I have a few friends who are Army as well and they will tell you themselves that they to believe the Marine Corps as a whole is more disciplined and a lot of the things we say but that they still loved every second they were in the Army and its also up to each soldier to determine whether they decide to be average or "be all they can be"(still think that was way better than "an Army of One") I've also noticed a lot of them also served in units who have always had a storied history and prided themselves on being better than the "rest" of the Army. As a matter of fact I think all of them are either Rangers, part of the 101st, 82cnd, or 10th Mountain.

DRB
06-16-11, 08:10 PM
That is true. I was sort of surprised myself that it didn't go badly. I might have to tap you for more knowledge about the Army if I end up going that route. There is a high probability that may happen by years end.

That's fine. Out of the gate I can tell you to talk with them in the fall. That is when more job options open up. A recruiter told me that.

Caesar Augustus
06-16-11, 08:21 PM
That's fine. Out of the gate I can tell you to talk with them in the fall. That is when more job options open up. A recruiter told me that.

Yea I was going to wait till then because of the fiscal year.

I've been trying to find a good source forum for the Rangers and their history but I don't know enough to know whats accurate and whats not.

DRB
06-16-11, 08:50 PM
Yea I was going to wait till then because of the fiscal year.

I've been trying to find a good source forum for the Rangers and their history but I don't know enough to know whats accurate and whats not.

Join this site. Use the search function first. What you do not find ask in the Ranger forum. Great guys on that site.

http://www.socnet.com/index.php

This is another good site. Let them know you were a Marine. That way you'll get some respect. Good guys there too.

http://www.armyranger.com/

Caesar Augustus
06-16-11, 08:52 PM
Join this site. Use the search function first. What you do not find ask in the Ranger forum. Great guys on that site.

http://www.socnet.com/index.php

Thanks. I had seen that site on here once before I think in one of the threads outing a posure but forgot it.

I definitely will research the site before I post up a useless thread.