PDA

View Full Version : PCS, Overseas Shipping, Marine Corps Orders and Regs?

Rough Hands
06-08-11, 11:23 PM
Good evening, Marines!

I'm a newly-minted 1371 out here at Courthouse Bay, and I have a few questions to ask. My permanent duty station is set to be Camp Pendleton, and from what I've been told by my command here at the schoolhouse is, upon graduation, we do not rate any PCS entitlements from here to our new duty station. However, my recruiter has informed me that because where I'm from is considered overseas (Alaska), I do rate to have belongings, as well as my vehicle, shipped from my residence to my duty station. He told me to look up the orders and regulations that pertain to moving in case admin attempts to deny my claim, but I'm not entirely sure of which particular order I should be looking for. Are there any Marines out there with some experience or advice? Or perhaps anyone with more knowledge on these particular orders?

Semper fi

Vandrel
06-08-11, 11:47 PM
Generally speaking, you don't rate TMO, etc. when you are executing orders from MOS school to the fleet. It's up to you to get where you are heading which is CONUS and not OCONUS, and you'll be reimbursed for any expenses from point A to B during your travel to check in. AFTER you've checked in is when you'll be given time to take leave and go gather anything from your home of record that you wish to bring.

Orders from MOS school to a CONUS duty station do not "rate" TMO in most cases involving unmarried personnel with no dependants. In their eyes, you do not HAVE to have your POV or items from your home of record. If you want them, take leave and get them on your own time.

You can check with your S1 shop at the school house there and get some more specific info on this, maybe a official MarAdmin/Pub covering it but I don't see it working out for you in that mannor.

Point in case, when I completed school at Del Mar, I was handed a plane ticket to Lejeune and after I (all of us from my class) arrived at Courthouse Bay and checked in, we were later afforded time to take leave and go home to get anything we want....but it's not mandatory.

A good point of contact for you to ask about this matter would be MSgt Vaneck or GySgt Borkowski at your head shed, they both have been around the 1371 MOS a long time and both have extensive experience with OCONUS duty stations and entitlements.

Rough Hands
06-09-11, 12:05 AM
Thank you for the feedback, Sergeant. But, to clarify, I'm not really concerned with the movement from here to Camp Pendleton; I realize I do not rate to have belongings moved from here to there. It's just that I was curious as to what privileges I do rate once I am checked into my new duty station since my Staff Sergeant implied that I rate a vehicle shipping due to the fact that my home residence is considered overseas. I'm not dead-set on having these privileges, or my POV for that matter, I just wanted to know if it was true and if there was documentation to back it up.

ryanficken
06-09-11, 07:11 AM
One thing you'll quickly learn as well is that there are many loopholes and orders you can find that are lenient, though most will have the oh-so-powerful disclaimer of "at the command's discretion". With or without this little clause, commands can make it very difficult to do things that you want to do. Even if it is possible to take PCS leave days, I wouldn't even advise trying. Your best bet with any 'personal errands' in the Marine Corps is to do them on your own time. That should always be your first plan. Only when you can forsee not being able to do said things without taking leave or special liberty should you go forward and ask someone in your command about it.

Kegler300
06-09-11, 07:58 AM
Call Camp Lejeune TMO at 451-2377.

MUSTANG0369
06-09-11, 02:27 PM
All Marines rate one Home of Record shipment from their Home of Record to their current duty station only once throughout their entire career. Not a well published or well known fact but it does exist. TMO will know.