PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my MGIB? And what can I do?

OkiFiend
06-08-11, 12:24 PM
I recently separated from the Marine Corps and filed for eligibility to use my MGIB. My plan was to take my MGIB and use it for the 36 months and transfer to the Post 911 for the 12 months after....

Artemis
06-08-11, 02:03 PM
Sorry to say but it is as simple as this you did not pay to recieve benefits of the MGIB therefore you will not recieve the benefits from it. There really isn't much you can do to change this now that you are out of the service.

TheReservist
06-14-11, 02:14 PM
Why do you want to use the montgomery GI bill? Sure you can use that first then the post 9/11 for 12 months but, I'm pretty sure economically you'll get more bang for your buck using just the post 9/11.

Figure that you get BAH (at a sergeant with dependents rate), and the school paid for up to the cost of the states public tuition with the post 9/11 while you only get like $1000 a month for the montgomery.

If you think 36 months isn't enough, you have to figure that the average semester only goes about 4 months, then you should be able to graduate from being a frosh within that 36 month time span.

Muztang11
06-21-11, 07:33 PM
First fix the profile so we know where you live.Second you are SOL with the GI bill,No $1200 pay-in no pay out.
In NY if you join the Army National Guard you get free tuition at any state school, Maybe your best bet...Check your state.