PDA

View Full Version : Star Spangled Banner

Old Marine
06-07-11, 05:49 PM
I would post the article, except my PC skills forbid me from doing it.

Just read on MSN where this small college in Indiana has decided not to play the National Anthem at any sporting events. They are saying that it promotes war. Sounds like Looney Tunes to me. Also sounds communistic if you ask me. Of course these are probably the same people that demonstrate and burn flags.:evilgrin:

USNAviator
06-07-11, 05:55 PM
Here you go Gunny

"Goshen College, a Mennonite school in Indiana, has become a target of public outrage over its decision to ban the playing of “The Star-Spangled Banner” at sporting events because it conflicts with the core values.

“We recognize that some people may not be satisfied with this decision, but we believe it is the right one for Goshen College,” Ricky Stiffney, chairman of the college’s board of directors, said in a written statement. “The board has a diversity of views on this issue as reflected through the process of considering the anthem.”

According to an online fact sheet on the issue, the college noted: “Historically, playing the national anthem has not been among Goshen College’s practices because of our Christ-centered core value of compassionate peacemaking seeming to be in conflict with the anthem’s militaristic language.”

The Mennonite Church is historically a peace church but does not have an official position on playing the national anthem.

doc h fmf
06-07-11, 06:11 PM
Very Interesting Cdr Thank You For The History Lesson Sir. I Was Getting Ready To Call The School President A Commi Bastard But That Is True About The Meninites.

Fair Winds Sir

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Old Marine
06-07-11, 06:18 PM
Thanks Commander. I surrender.

Rocky C
06-07-11, 06:29 PM
Thanks Commander. I surrender.

:D

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-11, 07:08 PM
Actually, I don't have an issue with this, they are a mennonite school and, similiar to the Quakers, don't go in much for that sort of thing.

If they don't want to play it, no worries.

silverdollar
06-08-11, 06:00 AM
Somebody needs to tell that school that Jesus was a Corporal.

CrockettJW
06-08-11, 10:07 AM
That reminds me of a piece I saw on MTV about 10 years ago. They were showing these college kids doing artwork and this one kid did a painting of the American flag, but instead of the 50 stars, he put a whole galaxy of stars. When someone asked him why he did it, he said, "I thought I'd make something that represented the whole country and not just the military."

AKA HITMAN
06-08-11, 12:09 PM
Personally....I'd rather recite the "Pledge of Allegiance" and see how many get confused.