PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Unit Vacancies?

dsmit302
06-07-11, 11:01 AM
So, I've been trying to get into a local reserve unit for the last couple of months. I am in contact with a recruiter who tells me that the only slots open for SGT's would require a lat move, and mandatory attendance of the 2nd half of SOI to become a 0341.

My question is this, does anyone have any experience with how reserve units handle billet vacancies, and how those vacancies are communicated to prior service recruiters. I have a buddy who is in the unit I'm trying to get in, and he says they are having some SGT's who will be hitting their EAS soon. Where my recruiter is saying there are no vacancies.

I doubt my recruiter is lying, I just want to know if anyone understands the process?

flinthill99
06-07-11, 04:30 PM
I'm in the same boat. I just recently went to see the PSR in my area and he told me that I would have to find a new MOS in order to come back in. He printed me off an Excel spreadsheet of every open boatspace within North and South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, and Tennessee. As I am located on the North/South Carolina border, I guess I basically have to find an MOS that I am qualified for and have interest in and then decide amongst those which I am willing to travel for. Bad thing is, there is a reserve center right here where I live, but I'm not too interested in the MOS's that they have vacancies for there.

I'm also concerned that once I pick a new MOS, what commitments I will have to make to get schooled. I want to come back bad, but with my current job, I'm not sure how much time I can spend away to go back to an MOS school.

So, it seems that your recruiter might be telling you the same that mine is telling me. Like you, though I'm not sure how to get around it. Let me know what you figure out and I'll do the same if I find something first.

dsmit302
07-19-11, 04:00 PM
I'm also concerned that once I pick a new MOS, what commitments I will have to make to get schooled. I want to come back bad, but with my current job, I'm not sure how much time I can spend away to go back to an MOS school.

Your work has to let you go, and they have to let you come back. It's the law. I wouldn't worry about that. If you want to do it, do it!

Phantom Blooper
07-19-11, 05:26 PM
Your work has to let you go, and they have to let you come back. It's the law. I wouldn't worry about that. If you want to do it, do it!

This is true to a point....they have to let you go to reserve weekends and the 2 weeks training....and they are obligated by law to do so.

But they can also keep you for a few days and give you a pink slip in your pay envelope without a reason.

But if you worry about that you won't ever get it done.<!-- / message -->

cucinae5
07-21-11, 12:13 PM
I just swore in a couple weeks ago going back in after being off contract for 12 years. I am a Sgt. Your buddy and the recruiter are both telling the truth. The PSR only sees spot open on the boards he/she does not see who may be coming up on EAS. At least that is what the I & I 1st Sgt told me when I interviewed. I am an 0311 and I am going to an LAR Unit. They have both 0311 and 0313. My PSR told me they only have 0313 spots open, but when I interviewed they told me they have some 0311 spots opening up due to some guys checking out that the PSR won't see on the boards.

They basically gave me the option during the interview, but recommended I do the LAT move because it would be more beneficial to them. So you have to watch out for that if you get to the interview process. I would imagine if I wasn't willing to bend then they may have told my PSR they wouldn't take me.

Any questions regarding the process/procedure/my experiences thus far please don't hesitate to ask.

One other thing, if you do go back in, you lose all time in grade. So you are starting over as a Sgt. For me it wasn't that big of a deal because realistically I only lost 6 months, but for others it may be something they are not willing to lose.

Blutic
07-22-11, 06:02 AM
I recommend taking the new mos. Reserve units conduct training at drills and ATs based on the most common MOS of the unit. Those without the MOS often "tag a long" and don't get to work in their MOS field that often. A good reserve unit tries to get everyong working in their MOS but it's very difficult to get everyone the training they need to be proficient even if the unit rates Marines in their MOS.