PDA

View Full Version : Mos

HTC123
06-07-11, 01:57 AM
I am in the DEP and leave Sept. 19th I had to pick from 3 MOS and I picked infantry, MP, and security forces...my recruiter told me that nethier one of these MOS's are avalible he said that the only thing that was open was Motor T or open contract so i picked Motor T...I would rather not do 4 years doing this job but if i have to do it to be a Marine I will...my question is there anyway I can get a diffrent MOS I prefer a combat mos...but like I said I will go with any job to be a Marine.
Thanks

ammermda
06-07-11, 09:41 AM
May not be the answer you want, but...

...grow where you're planted. From what I've seen, Motor-T is a vital MOS, with plenty of combat experience to be had.

Zulu 36
06-07-11, 11:40 AM
I mentioned in another post about Motor T and combat. I can't speak to the numbers from the current war, although I'm certain they are similar, but in Vietnam Motor T (specifically drivers) had one of the highest per capita casualty rates after infantry.

Most of my instructors in 3531 school had Purple Hearts. I got out of Vietnam without a scratch, but it wasn't from lack of trying on the part of the NVA.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-11, 05:37 PM
Yes, in time, you can lateral move. However, don't discount Motor T as a good job, there are FAR worse ones you could have gotten. Be careful what you wish for...LOL.

Bloom where you are planted is GOOD advice, like it or not. It all comes down to one thing...how bad do you WANT to be a Marine?

HTC123
06-07-11, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice, what is a lateral move Sgt. Leprechaun and how do I do that.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-11, 08:15 PM
You can only do it after a minimum of 2 years in the Corps and if you qualify. You can also do it at reenlistment (Sometimes). Not something at this time you should be overly concerned with, though.

HTC123
06-07-11, 08:49 PM
what makes you qualify? or how? and I dont know if I am reenlisting yet depends on how I like it I want to become a police officer when I am out though....and yea like I said the job I get isnt going to discourage me from becoming a Marine.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-11, 08:57 PM
So, therefore, not something you need to be concerned with at the moment. Once you get to that point, your Career Planner will assist you.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-11, 09:30 PM
My mistake here. Thread deleted as there is no profile.