PDA

View Full Version : Becca's Run Raises Money, Honors Girl's Memory

thedrifter
10-21-03, 05:51 AM
Becca's Run Raises Money, Honors Girl's Memory
Submitted by: Marine Barracks 8th & I
Story Identification Number: 20031016133257
Story by Sgt. Leah A. Cobble

MARINE BARRACKS, Washington, D.C.(Oct. 4, 2003) -- The first signs of dawn peaked through the dim-lit gray sky, while in the mist below, the haze-brushed figures of children, Marines, and hundreds of other people, as they waited in the street, ready to start their weekend with a Saturday morning run.

This was not a typical Saturday, or the customary morning jog. The 7th annual Becca's Run, a 5K race that raises money for local cancer organizations, in memory of a young girl by the name of Rebecca Lilly, was about to begin behind St. Bernadettes School Hall, in Silver Spring Md., Oct. 4., and "A" Company Marines, from Marine Barracks, Washington D.C., were ready to put their best foot forward.

Rebecca Lilly was first diagnosed with one of the most hostile types of brain tumors, called glioblastomas in 1991. After treatments, these complex tumors have the potential to grow back at a rapid pace due to their web-like, elongated designs, which inhibit surgeons from ever successfully removing the entire tumor from the brain.

Rebecca fought her cancer for six years, underwent five brain surgeries, and four forms of chemotherapy. In 1995, she was the first child ever to receive gene therapy for a brain tumor. The therapy kept her cancer under reasonable control for some time, but by June 1997 the tumor grew back and Rebecca died shortly thereafter.

In October of 1997, with the help of the community, Rebecca's family held the first Becca's Run as a hallmark of their unending love for her, and their commitment to continue their campaign against cancer.
Due to the impact her family has made with in their community, more people each year come to support Becca's Run, in honor of the young girl that fought so gallantly against a vicious disease.

Rebecca's cousin, Capt. Francis X. Lilly, arrived at Marine Barracks in October 2000, and immediately involved the Marines. This was the second year that Marines were not just participants of the race, but one of the highlights, as they conducted warm-ups and ran the 5K in formation.

"The Marine Corps were first involved in 1999 when my parents had the Hyattsville, Officer Selection Office in Maryland participate," said Lilly, currently the company commander of Delta Company, 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, in Twentynine Palms, Calif. "My former company executive officer, Capt. Jeff Harrison, was the officer in command of the selection office. I was in Saudi Arabia at the time, but he brought several of his candidates and Marines who worked in his office out to run, and the Marines were a huge hit the civilians running in the race. Apparently, seeing the Marines run in formation, call cadence, and having them lead warm-ups for more than 1,200 runners was a big success."

Lilly said that in October 2000 after he arrived at the Barracks, "Several of the officers I worked with at Marine Corps Institute came out for the run, and Capt Johnson, "A" Company, company commander, came with several Marines who volunteered to run. Even more Marines came out to run the following year."

Over the last three years, Marines from the Barracks have been representing the Marine Corps at Becca's Run, but there are still many leathernecks that come from all over the local area that have heard Rebecca's story.

Rebecca is recognized among family members for her immeasurable fortitude. Only one in five children with Rebecca's condition live three years after medical experts identify the tumor. Rebecca eluded these predictions by winning her daily struggle for over six years.

"Rebecca was one of the toughest and most determined people I have ever known. While her battle with cancer weakened her physically, she always remained optimistic, tried several advanced, new therapies and treatments, and never gave up her fight," said Lilly. "She is one of the toughest people, mentally and emotionally, I have ever met and I think she is someone we can all learn from and try to emulate, Marine or not."

While her memory stays alive through Becca's Fund Inc., those people who knew her will always think of her courage. They will continue to tell her story and help those children still at war with the disease.
"When times got tough, which is an understatement in Rebecca's case, she never gave in or lost her faith--a great example for all of us to follow when things don't exactly go right in our lives," Lilly explained.

Every year more people show up to Becca's Run, and Barracks Marines continue to conduct warm-ups and run in formation with cadence, keeping a new tradition alive as they too acknowledge Rebecca and her family for their spirit.

"It is fun to get out in the community and show the Marine Corps colors," said Becca's Run newcomer Capt. Peter Pace, company commander, "A" Company. " The spectators got a big kick out of the Marines calling cadence as they ran, motivating more than a few runners!"

Becca's Run supports not only organizations trying to win the battle against cancer, but also donates thousands of dollars to help ease the financial burdens some families acquire while trying to help their loved ones.

"Marines enjoy the event, because it is for a good cause and cancer has affected many of us either directly or indirectly," said First Sgt. William A. Winters, company first sergeant, "A" Company. "The Marines also understand the financial burden that can be placed on families during this time can be devastating."

Three years after Lilly brought Barracks' Marines to the event, they still make their presence known, in honor of Rebecca and the family members that struggled with her.

"It meant a great deal to me and my family to have Marines and the Barracks supporting this event," Lilly said. "It's another of so many examples where you can find Marines taking care of their own and going the extra mile (or three) to help out a good cause and respect the memory of someone who was as tough as any Marine I've known."

On average, Becca's Run along with Becca's Fund Inc., donates around $200,000 each year to organizations such as The Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation, Special Love Inc., The Childhood Brain Tumor Foundation, Camp Friendship, and the Children's Cause.

Not many people were lucky enough to have met Rebecca Lilly. Even fewer have heard about the type of cancer she fought at such a young age. Nonetheless, each year through Becca's Run, she aids and inspires children and families, helping to give them strength and courage to face the same challenges she endured.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031016141317/$file/Becca's-Run-Low-Res.jpg

"A" Company Marines from Marine Barracks Washington D.C., sound off as they begin the 7th annual 5k race.
Photo by: Sgt. Leah A. Cobble
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/lookup/20031016141317?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: