PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in my 10 days leave?

jeonpaolo
06-04-11, 04:07 PM
Afternoon Marines,

I have a bit of a problem. After graduating bootcamp, I don't really have anyone to stay with. All my friends are going to college and my family isnt gonna be here.

I am supposed to report to ITB after bootcamp. I was wondering if there is anyway I can live in pendleton/report to ITB right after bootcamp so I can have a place to live during that 10 days of leave. Was wondering if someone can tell me my options. Greatly appreciated.

Old Marine
06-04-11, 04:32 PM
Been a real long time for me, but I would guess maybe Casual Company, if there is such a thing these days. That question is probably one of the better questions I have seen on this site.

Caesar Augustus
06-04-11, 04:58 PM
I've never heard of casual company and I got out in 07.

Best bet just ask a recruit in your platoon during any free time(church) that lives nearby and see if you can stay with them. Otherwise when you get back home hit up the local VA, USO, or recruiting station.

Probably your best bet would be to get someone you know to contact the Marine Reserve aid and see what they can do. I know they will help. I'm only IRR now and this past summer I stayed in a house they have for free for more than a month while I was homeless.

jeonpaolo
06-04-11, 05:50 PM
Thank you Gunnery Sgt and Lance Cpl. So theres no way I can just simply check in early to ITB then?

Caesar Augustus
06-04-11, 06:00 PM
Thank you Gunnery Sgt and Lance Cpl. So theres no way I can just simply check in early to ITB then?

I have no idea, you'd have to ask your recruiter, and more than likely your SDI near the end of boot to see if they can change your orders.

I can't imagine they can make you take leave but then again it is the Corps:bunny:

Old Marine
06-04-11, 06:04 PM
Years ago, a Marine used to be able to check in early at any unit. Considering this is the new Corps, it might screw up their computers or maybe there is an an order that prohibits early check in. You need to call a recruiter, maybe he has the answer.

Used to be we had casual company where you could check in and stay for a limited number of days. Might try the YMCA, or the Marine Corps Lodge on base, used to be the Hostess House. A Marine should not end up on the street. Good luck to you.

jeonpaolo
06-04-11, 06:07 PM
Years ago, a Marine used to be able to check in early at any unit. Considering this is the new Corps, it might screw up their computers or maybe there is an an order that prohibits early check in. You need to call a recruiter, maybe he has the answer.

Used to be we had casual company where you could check in and stay for a limited number of days. Might try the YMCA, or the Marine Corps Lodge on base, used to be the Hostess House. A Marine should not end up on the street. Good luck to you.

Thank you Gunnery Sgt, will do.

Quinbo
06-04-11, 11:30 PM
You do not have to take leave. I sure as hell wouldn't want to burn any leave sitting around on base. There was a recruit in my platoon that didn't want the boot leave and didn't take it. Instead he did ground and maintenance on MCRD and lived in the transient barracks until time to execute his orders. He was then shuttled up to pendleton and continued to march. Not sure if I want to take that route either. Bottem line is you do not have to take leave. The only time I was ever forced to take leave is when the 1st Sgt called me in his office and said you have 75 days on the books and come Oct 1st you are going to lose 15 days if you don't take them. Boot leave actually puts your leave balance in the hole so you won't have that problem. Trust me you will want to take the leave just for a break. Go buy you a tent and a fishing pole and go camping for 10 days. You'll have enough cash after graduation to afford that.

0861Scout
06-05-11, 12:32 AM
When I was in you could check in when ever you wanted. Going to your MOS school just be cautioned you will be working party until your class picks up.

SlingerDun
06-05-11, 01:02 AM
You do not have to take leave.... Go buy you a tent and a fishing pole and go camping for 10 days.....hehehe thats what im talkin bout! But poolee is from New York City.

Big 5 Sporting Goods has a "disposable" Coleman tent for $39.00 big enough for a young Marine and all his possibles, saw it yesterday.
You talkin Case Springs? Maybe it's been stocked with Bow's since you last dunked your monofilamenthttp://img.informer.com/icons/png/32/362/362611.png

Matlock09
06-05-11, 08:46 AM
You can check in early but you will just be put in SAC co. or assigned to do camp guard until the next ITB picks up.

Caesar Augustus
06-05-11, 08:52 AM
You can check in early but you will just be put in SAC co. or assigned to do camp guard until the next ITB picks up.

Yea and I would NOT suggest that. The little bit of time I spent waiting to pick up was a mixed bag of fun because it was the first freedom you had while on base and lots of BS and getting yelled at by stupid Lcps who were broke, and disgruntled Cpls and Sgts who had been busted down and stuck to watch over us:!:

Kegler300
06-05-11, 02:41 PM
http://www.whyisdaddycrying.com/storage/orcas_van.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=125811405 0799

m14ed
06-05-11, 04:12 PM
Check into your next unit early..
You might find you'll learn something while the others
are back home eating pogiebait.
Work details aren't all that bad, and who knows,
you may actually find you like what you're doing while
waiting for the rest of the group to catch up with you.
Nothing says you wont be assigned to another training
unit before you're intended .. Injuries to other Newbies while
home on leave may push you a week ahead on your training Cycle..

Caesar Augustus
06-05-11, 04:17 PM
I still think its incredibly retarded not to take boot leave. You're not going to learn anything in ten days sitting around with a bunch of other miserable boots waiting to pick up. You'll just have wasted your first chance at freedom. You may not get leave again till you come back from a deployment depending on what unit you end up with and where they are in the rotation.

jeonpaolo
06-05-11, 07:14 PM
Thank you all for the imput. I don't have a car so I can't really go anywhere. I heard about SAC company before, I guess I will just check in there right after boot. I'm alright with being work given. I heard you get most weekends off at ITB and the fleet so it doesn't really bother me not getting the 10 days of leave.

Thank you all again.

Caesar Augustus
06-05-11, 07:17 PM
Thank you all for the imput. I don't have a car so I can't really go anywhere. I heard about SAC company before, I guess I will just check in there right after boot. I'm alright with being work given. I heard you get most weekends off at ITB and the fleet so it doesn't really bother me not getting the 10 days of leave.

Thank you all again.

You won't be getting weekends off in ITB unless they changed things or you have a really lax 1stSgt. In the fleet when you first get there you may not have much free time especially if your unit is preparing to deploy. We had a huge boot drop right after we got back and within two months we were in the field training and what not and weren't going to have a chance for leave.

Just saying you'd be better of getting a cab, finding a hotel, spend 300 bucks and have fun. Go to Palm Springs and stay there and party, then report to ITB

jeonpaolo
06-05-11, 07:27 PM
You won't be getting weekends off in ITB unless they changed things or you have a really lax 1stSgt. In the fleet when you first get there you may not have much free time especially if your unit is preparing to deploy. We had a huge boot drop right after we got back and within two months we were in the field training and what not and weren't going to have a chance for leave.

Just saying you'd be better of getting a cab, finding a hotel, spend 300 bucks and have fun. Go to Palm Springs and stay there and party, then report to ITB

Lol im just worried i won't have enough money to fund myself for 10 days. A hotel, travel and all that other good stuff for 10 days sounds kinda pricy LCpl. Would you think I will have enough money to do all that on my E-1 (maybe E-2) pay from boot? If I will, I most certainly will do that.

Caesar Augustus
06-05-11, 07:36 PM
Lol im just worried i won't have enough money to fund myself for 10 days. A hotel, travel and all that other good stuff for 10 days sounds kinda pricy LCpl. Would you think I will have enough money to do all that on my E-1 (maybe E-2) pay from boot? If I will, I most certainly will do that.

As an E-1 you'll have close to three thousand dollars. If they're still giving away dress blues(which I had to pay for:mad:lol) you should have at least 2500 after uniforms etc. You'll be fine and if you go to Palm Springs or at worst, hit up 29 Stumps and stay there and you'll be sure to fiind Marines who are going out all the time who would help you out. Trust me Marines will take care of you. Or go to the closest VFW and some salty Marine will get you plastered and tell you stories of the Old Corps:flag:

USNAviator
06-05-11, 07:45 PM

Not my area but I'll chime in. Look for places such as Candlewood Suites, Home Wood Suites. Any extended stay motel. A lot of them will give you a break if you stay more than 7 days and also if you're in the military, they usually knock off 10%. Here in Virginia, you can get a single room at a Candlewood Suites, fully equipped kitchen, cable, free internet for about $79/night. Negotiate with them, you might do better given how high the vacancy rates are right now

Caesar Augustus
06-05-11, 07:47 PM
Not my area but I'll chime in. Look for places such as Candlewood Suites, Home Wood Suites. Any extended stay motel. A lot of them will give you a break if you stay more than 7 days and also if you're in the military, they usually knock off 10%. Here in Virginia, you can get a single room at a Candlewood Suites, fully equipped kitchen, cable, free internet for about $79/night. Negotiate with them, you might do better given how high the vacancy rates are right now

I couldn't remember specific names but thats what I was referring to. Its usually like 199(in texas) or maybe at most 300 for a weeks stay and true I know when I graduated from boot camp in 04 Cali was all about giving free things to us. If you stay in SD you can use public transport to get around and see what you won't be seeing for a bit while you're in ITB:bunny:

USNAviator
06-05-11, 08:01 PM
I couldn't remember specific names but thats what I was referring to. Its usually like 199(in texas) or maybe at most 300 for a weeks stay and true I know when I graduated from boot camp in 04 Cali was all about giving free things to us. If you stay in SD you can use public transport to get around and see what you won't be seeing for a bit while you're in ITB:bunny:

Exactly, the longer he stays the cheaper it is. OP do a search for extended stay motels in the area. I'm sure there are quite a few of them.. They only do maid service once a week so they can keep their costs down. Most come with a full size fridge, two burner stove, large microwave, free cable/internet. At Candlewood Suites they also let you borrow free DVD's to watch in your room. How do I know all this? When my wife and I were waiting for our house to be built, we lived in one for close to 8 months. We got a hell of a deal, $39/night

Caesar Augustus
06-05-11, 08:03 PM
Exactly, the longer he stays the cheaper it is. OP do a search for extended stay motels in the area. I'm sure there are quite a few of them.. They only do maid service once a week so they can keep their costs down. Most come with a full size fridge, two burner stove, large microwave, free cable/internet. At Candlewood Suites they also let you borrow free DVD's to watch in your room. How do I know all this? When my wife and I were waiting for our house to be built, we lived in one for close to 8 months. We got a hell of a deal, $39/night

I know this because I lived in a small town(1300) when I needed a place to stay and not only did the guy give me a military discount he also offered maid service at least towels, and sheets daily and coffee.

Do only reserve bases have "hotels" on base. I know the NASJRB here has one and its cheap.

jeonpaolo
06-05-11, 08:26 PM
Thank you Commander and LCpl I will look into entended stay hotels/motels right before I ship.

LCpl, you got at least 2500 from boot? Thats pretty good. All my friends who just became Marines with E-2 pay said they only got around 2700 from boot. They must be raising prices of items you purchase during boot recently then lol. Oh well.

Caesar Augustus
06-05-11, 08:29 PM
Thank you Commander and LCpl I will look into entended stay hotels/motels right before I ship.

LCpl, you got at least 2500 from boot? Thats pretty good. All my friends who just became Marines with E-2 pay said they only got around 2700 from boot. They must be raising prices of items you purchase during boot recently then lol. Oh well.

Well I may be off a bit, I graduated in early 04 lol. I'm just going off the fact that you make somewhere around 1100-1200(DoD is specific) per month so after taxes and unis I'd figure 2500-2700 would be what you leave with. If you go in as an E-2 its more.

jeonpaolo
06-05-11, 08:32 PM
Well I may be off a bit, I graduated in early 04 lol. I'm just going off the fact that you make somewhere around 1100-1200(DoD is specific) per month so after taxes and unis I'd figure 2500-2700 would be what you leave with. If you go in as an E-2 its more.

Ahhhhh. Still not bad, considering I never had a job that paid more than 200 bucks lol.

Caesar Augustus
06-05-11, 08:34 PM
I can't imagine some family of a new Marine from your platoon wouldn't be willing to help you out either.

Worst comes to worse, look for a hot, older woman, maybe an aunt and hope she is a cougar and I'm sure she'll take care of you as long as you take "care" of her.

jeonpaolo
06-05-11, 08:36 PM
Worst comes to worse, look for a hot, older woman, maybe an aunt and hope she is a cougar and I'm sure she'll take care of you as long as you take "care" of her.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: LOL!