PDA

View Full Version : Security Forces And Infantry

mbev
06-01-11, 06:19 PM
Hello,
So I am wondering who was deciding between Security Forces (8154) and an 03xx MOS on their contract.

I have an infantry slot open for me, and a week to decide between that and SF.

What factors made you choose either one?
Any input would be great.

V/r
Mathew

IST:
Crunches:76
1.5 Mile:11:56
Pull Ups:16

93Reaper
06-01-11, 06:50 PM
This would be better in the Ask a Marine section. Better opinions, if you want it moved ask Sgt Leprechaun.

mbev
06-01-11, 11:29 PM
Great thanks, how exactly would I go about that? Sorry I'm kinda new to this site.

Lisa 23
06-02-11, 07:06 AM
Before you go and PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine forum, try doing a search on the site first.......security forces and infantry have been covered before.

devilpup93
06-02-11, 10:55 AM
If you wanna do the dirty stuff, infantry.

mbev
06-02-11, 01:25 PM
Thanks SoftballCatch23 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=47018), I did read it, but I was hoping it would have more, so it did not help as much as I intended, hopefully I can post this in Ask A Marine and their time as SF and if the wished the did infantry instead.

But I also posted this here because I wanted to see why other poolees chose SF over infantry, or vice versa.
V/r
Mathew

PARKER93
06-02-11, 08:26 PM
I personally chose security forces becuase many of my trusted friends who were grunts said they wish they had done it. You are still considered an 0311 and will eventually end up in an infantry unit, but you will have more training and rank than those just out of boot. Also, I wouldn't mind being on FAST, as it would help me in my future career. These are just my opinions, everyone is different.

mbev
06-02-11, 09:45 PM
PARKER93 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=75485) Thanks. I have heard from Marines that wish they did straight 03 instead of doing security forces, and 03's who wish they went sf, or want to get into it.
Also, a lot of guys in 03 have a strong dislike of those that came out of SF and into the fleet, especially those from FAST team, because the SF guys come in thinking they know everything. But if you keep your mouth shut, and show that you have stuff to learn and not be a know it all, you should be fine.

Dutch 44
06-16-11, 09:43 PM
The problem they have with security forces units hitting the fleet is that most of them come in as cpls, so you have a cpl coming in as a fireteam leader who knows absolutely nothing about being in...

kollinfig
06-16-11, 11:03 PM
I originally wanted a SF contract over a standard infantry one but came to the conclusion that I would much rather be a regular grunt, I didn't want to spend my first 3 years in the Corps doing nothing but guard nuclear silos