PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

Haucur
06-01-11, 05:32 PM
Hello everyone. I am new here and currently considering a career in the Marines. I've talked to a recruiter but am still in the process of deciding. I scored well on the practice ASVAB test and will be able to score even better on the real one as I pretty ill when I took it. If do decide to join, I would aim to join recon. I had a good GPA at a very prestigious high school, scored well on the ACT, and I am in good physical condition. I just have one concern, and that is the Corps' stance on drugs. By no means do I use any hard drugs. I might smoke pot once every 2 or 3 months but that is it. However I am prescribed to some mild sedatives and an antidepressant as a result of a traumatic family experience I'd rather not discuss. I do plan on slowly weening off of these pills. So I am asking how would that affect my chances of A) Just getting into the Marines, and more important B) getting into recon. Thanks in advance for any information.

elliscraig12
06-01-11, 05:48 PM
1. Read the site rules
2. Fill out your profile
3. Go to the Poolee section and research your topic. you're not the first one to ask.

lamanognr86
06-01-11, 05:49 PM
Well, you should probably drop the Recon act for now, and just think about getting into the Marine Corps. From what I know, you will need waivers for your pills. Not sure why you need them. Why don't you just go to the gym? It's healthier and cheaper.

I'm 96% sure your recruiter can answer these questions there champ.

Haucur
06-01-11, 06:19 PM
Well, you should probably drop the Recon act for now, and just think about getting into the Marine Corps. From what I know, you will need waivers for your pills. Not sure why you need them. Why don't you just go to the gym? It's healthier and cheaper.

I'm 96% sure your recruiter can answer these questions there champ.

Why drop the recon act for now? And what do you mean by I would need a waiver...what exactly would that mean?

I work out 5-6 times a week - running, ab work, pull ups, push ups, and boxing. I understand it is a healthy outlet but that still doesn't change the fact that I am prescribed to these pills for a good reason. Thanks for the response.

USNAviator
06-01-11, 06:24 PM
Why drop the recon act for now? And what do you mean by I would need a waiver...what exactly would that mean?

I work out 5-6 times a week - running, ab work, pull ups, push ups, and boxing. I understand it is a healthy outlet but that still doesn't change the fact that I am prescribed to these pills for a good reason. Thanks for the response.

If you're on any type of prescription meds for whatever reason, you need to reveal that fact to your recruiter and also at MEPS. You most likely will need a waiver if they determine you've been on the meds for a long time. A waiver is permission to enlist with a preexisting condition. No waiver, no enlistment

BTW please fill in your profile as requested, thank you!

Lisa 23
06-01-11, 06:30 PM
You may also want to PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine fourm.

You may also want to read the site rules while you're at it.........

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989&page=2

Ask a Marine forum rules..READ THESE BEFORE POSTING..MARINES TOO!
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103170

Medical/Mental/Criminal/Tattoo Waivers/Lying to MEPS...READ THIS FIRST
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97158

chulaivet1966
06-01-11, 06:30 PM
1. Read the site rules
2. Fill out your profile
3. Go to the Poolee section and research your topic. you're not the first one to ask.

Echo...echo...echo...

I would only remind you that the fact you are taking 'these pills for a good reason' in civilian life does not mean this 'good reason' will be compatible with military expectations or requirements for being a Marine.

Good luck...

USNAviator
06-01-11, 06:31 PM
Regs re. depression

Mood Disorders

Current mood disorders including, but not limited to, major depression (296.2–3), bipolar (296.4–7), affective psychoses (296.8–9), depressive not otherwise specified (311), are disqualifying.
History of mood disorders requiring outpatient care for longer than 6 months by a physician or other mental health professional (V65.40), or inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility is disqualifying.
History of symptoms consistent with a mood disorder of a repeated nature that impairs school, social, or work efficiency is disqualifying.
Current or history of adjustment disorders (309) within the previous 3 months is disqualifying.