PDA

View Full Version : Here's a jolt to your memory! Meeting your DI's for the 1st time.

kdickerson
05-31-11, 01:18 PM
Do any of you remember, like I do, the first day you met your "true" DI's? I mean, after you spent the first week or two in receiving and then in came the new DI's when you got dropped into your platoon.

CrockettJW
05-31-11, 01:31 PM
How could I forget? I remember those DIs in the receiving barracks seeming like they were mean. One of them (I think his name was Sgt. Black) said, "A week from now, you're going to realize I'm the nicest DI you ever met." I remember thinking, "Not likely!" But he was right.

In Receiving, they told us who our DIs were going to be and told us to memorize their names. When we met them, they marched us over to the barracks with all our gear, then had us in the quarterdeck and brought them in.

Within a day or two, we had this guy who "respectfully refused" to do push-ups. There was a formation of the entire company as they told us how this guy was going to get NJP and moved to another platoon.

R Landry
05-31-11, 01:41 PM
Here's how I recollected it for some 70 and 80 year old ladies in my writing class....

With heavily laden sea bags and rifles slung about our shoulders, we were now made to stand outside in the hot sun on a paved area upon another set of yellow-paint footprints in four rows – or squads. It was very muggy and there was that swampy methane smell in the air. We batted at sand fleas swarming around our faces. Smokey Bear Hat shouted more vile epithets at us and we were told to ‘Stand By’. Stand by? Stand by for what?

“Stand at attention you ****ing maggots!” thundered a new voice. Before snapping to what amounted to an unschooled attitude of attention, I glanced around and saw that three new Marines each wearing Smokey Bear hats were swarming around us recruits. Uh oh, these new guys must be our drill instructors. “Forward, march!” barked one of them. As we moved through the muggy heat, two of the new drill instructors were darting in and out of our formation shouting at the top of their lungs at various recruits. It was not unlike wild dogs attacking a herd of wildebeests. “What the **** are you looking at, huh? Yes I’m talking to you, you god damned ****bag!” You see, since we had not yet been taught to march with eyes forward, some of us green recruits were looking all around in fear which caught the eyes of our tormentors. It was quite a shock, this ‘introduction’ to our three drill instructors, our ‘caregivers’ for the next 10 weeks.I did not know this at the time, but each of our three drill instructors had different but overlapping duties in training recruits. The Senior Drill Instructor, usually an E-6 Staff Sergeant, was sort of a father figure and supervised the other two drill instructors, or ‘DIs’. The Senior Drill Instructor, also called the SDI or ‘Senior’, was distinguished by his wide black leather duty belt (the lesser DIs wore wide green webbed duty belts). The second-ranking DI, usually an E-5 Sergeant, was, in fact, our primary drill instructor in close-order drill, or marching. He was usually called the ‘Drill Hat’. The third DI, usually an E-4 Corporal, was an Assistant Drill Instructor, also called the ‘Kill Hat’, and was responsible for academic instruction and the overall discipline of the recruits. As the Sergeant and the Corporal swarmed around us as we marched, I noticed that the SDI was off to the side, keeping a steady ‘left…, left…, left, right, left’ cadence.

We crossed a wide road and shambled upon a great expanse of asphalt. Trying to ignore the hail of insults being spit, literally, into our faces, I noticed other platoons of Marine recruits marching. They appeared to be marching with great precision and holding their rifles on their shoulders. Each platoon was headed by a recruit carrying a long pole flying some sort of flag and several ribbons of various colors. These platoons were obviously in advanced training – and it showed. Catching our stares, the SDI bellowed that he was going to do his damnedest to get us to look and march like those platoons out there yonder but said “I don’t think you ****ing scumbags got it in you!’ He was throwing a challenge at us. Meanwhile, the other two DIs continued to penetrate our formation and our ‘personal spaces’ and torment us. The Corporal’s shirt bulged with huge muscles and his face was flushed beet-red and the veins in his neck stood out in high relief. His staccato rantings had an unholy screeching sound that was positively inhuman. The brim of his Smokey bear hat was brushing against our faces as his saliva spewed out in accompaniment to an unceasing string of ingeniously-crafted profanities and imprecations threatening – no, promising serious bodily harm to come. I wondered if he, and the other DIs, would be allowed to make good on their threats and promises. So far, not a hand was laid on us. Maybe later?

We crossed the drill field and approached a white H-shaped wooden building. Beyond the barracks was a vast expanse of swampland – that’s where that funky smell was coming from! One of the DIs opened a door to the lower right hand story and we were ordered to go inside at a double-quick pace. Somehow, all 80 of us recruits were either assigned to or we each found the next available metal bunk beds - or racks - just like those in the receiving barracks the night before. Our long rectangular barracks room, or squad bay, about 20 feet wide and more than 100 feet long, was the right-handed vertical stoke of the ‘H’ shape of the barracks building. Each long wall of the squad bay had a row of racks arranged perpendicular to the walls with a wide corridor – or passageway - between each row. So we had about 15 or so racks on one side with space in the middle to access the middle part of the ‘H’ of the rest of the building, and 25 or so racks on the other side. Each rack had a thin bare mattress covered with a pillow. We were ordered to sling our rifles on the rear frames of the racks and to place our sea bags on our assigned racks. Now behind closed doors, in this hot, muggy, smelly, and claustrophobic space - our Marine Corps training began in earnest.

GT6238
05-31-11, 01:45 PM
Our first senior came in and stood in the doorway. Remember the tables they had us standing at in receiving? OK...how can I say this??? He was a dark green S/Sgt. and a Recon. Anyway, a dark green recruit apparently smiled and the DI saw it. He hopped up on a table and jumped across two or three to get to the guy and reached down and got him by the neck and yelled "Do you like me, n-word???" Then he went into a rant and scared the bunch of us. YIKES

Cpl Heglar
05-31-11, 02:21 PM
We had hands laid on us from day one all the way to graduation, nothing extraordinary, the usual "thumping" of recruits, but for those with real attitude problems, they were beaten half to death all the time, until they got with the program. They always "fell out of their rack, Sir", if anyone happened to ask what had happened.

The ones with really bad attitudes, the DIs would grab hold of both ears, bring the recruit's head down fast, the face smashing right into the upward motion of the DIs knee, and that would make for quite a chastisement.

This being a court-martial offense even back then, 1963, the venetian blinds in the old wooden barracks would be closed prior to any physical correction being administered.

It was a scary 13 weeks, psychologically and physical-contact wise.

Dave how the hades do you follow that? I would not have made it in your Marine Corps.

USNAviator
05-31-11, 02:24 PM
We had hands laid on us from day one all the way to graduation, nothing extraordinary, the usual "thumping" of recruits, but for those with real attitude problems, they were beaten half to death all the time, until they got with the program. They always "fell out of their rack, Sir", if anyone happened to ask what had happened.

The ones with really bad attitudes, the DIs would grab hold of both ears, bring the recruit's head down fast, the face smashing right into the upward motion of the DIs knee, and that would make for quite a chastisement.

This being a court-martial offense even back then, 1963, the venetian blinds in the old wooden barracks would be closed prior to any physical correction being administered.

You know Dave this doesn't sound at all like Quantico. And that's all I have to say on this thread, But I agree, it's a great idea and I'm looking forward to reading furthers posts

Mongoose
05-31-11, 02:50 PM
We got our DIs first night. After processing in till 3 in the morning. They had us on the yellow footprints waiting for them to show up. They came up from behind us and all hell broke loose. The choking and beatings started on the foot prints. And didnt stop till a week before graduation. Our Plt. Commander was a V.N. veteran with a Bronze Star and P.H. He was meaner than hell and I shivered every time I saw him. But would love to be able to tell him how much he did for me. I thought about him many times in Nam. I would catch myself wondering what he tell me to do if he was there with me. No greater respect do I have for any man than SSGT. R.O. Reed.

advanced
05-31-11, 03:33 PM
Sounds like ya'll had it tough back then.

advanced
05-31-11, 06:09 PM
In Jan 67 we arrived by bus at PI about 2 in the morning. We made our phone calls and were taken to a barracks and slept for a couple of hours. Up at 5 or so, haircuts, uniforms, 782 gear. Picked up our DI's that afternoon and we were in a world of ****. We had to carry all our gear and seabag, that's a lot of stuff over to the 3rd Batt.

Since I was in the first platoon of our series of 3 platoons, we went through forming for about a week and a half till the other 2 platoons were formed. They kept threatening us with not starting training if we didn't shape up. Thumpings, beatings, we were totally messed with during this period. Our training period was 8 weeks because of the war.

We started with 96 (the war was going strong) and we had 5 DI's, our senior was a Gunny Lindsey, and we had 2 Staff Sgts and 2 Sgt E-5's. During training we dropped 45+ and graduated with close to 90. At the end of boot camp they offered me OCS but Damn if I wanted to go through that **** again.

As bad as it was, and it was bad back then, it should have been 10 times worse because of where they sent us, Hue City, Meade River and all the other operations in the Arizona and Dodge City.

My biggest regret about becoming a Marine is that I never dreamed that I would lose that many friends and brothers. I was so naive before I joined the corps.

Old Marine
05-31-11, 06:28 PM
OK Dave. I believe you. You can rest your case now. Did you receive any Air Farce training when you went in there. Post it up.

BauerBrat
05-31-11, 07:05 PM
I went through PI in '54. Hotter than hell that summer and I'm from 'Bama so I know heat. But there is just some sort of special heat the Corps must save for PI

Was lucky, my two older brothers had gone through so I knew enough to keep my mouth shut and my ears open

But yes I saw some pretty brutal things done to some of my fellow recruits. Looking back on it now I don't take pride that I allowed it to go unreported. Some of those DI's were just sick individuals.

I agree that some "thumping" is to be expected. I got thumped a few times no big deal. But breaking a mans nose or thumb is beyond training, that's sadism. Yes it did happen all you kiddies who read this. You break a mans thumb he's not very useful

Many of the DI's had come from Korea and I think had a chip on their shoulder that they fought in a war that most consider a draw. Not the Marines fault or the Army's, it was the politicians. If you're going to fight a war, give it all or walk away. The same applies to all of my brothers who were f$cked over in Viet Nam.

Semper Fi

Brat

Old Marine
05-31-11, 07:16 PM
Dave: Next time you go near a medical office and they are going to vacinate you be sure and check the needle, because sometimes its like somewhere along the line you must have gotten vacinated by a phonograph needle. (broken record, broken record) Have a great day.

BauerBrat
05-31-11, 07:49 PM
Dave: Next time you go near a medical office and they are going to vacinate you be sure and check the needle, because sometimes its like somewhere along the line you must have gotten vacinated by a phonograph needle. (broken record, broken record) Have a great day.

I'll make sure I take that advice to heart Harold.

Semper Fi Marine

Old Marine
05-31-11, 07:59 PM
All I can say is when I attended the University of Recruit Training, at MCRD, SD, most of it is a blur. I have always been able to block out things that are not pleasant. I do remember that if we were not thumped each and every day, we figured the D.I. was either hung over or sick.

I also remember living in tents for two weeks at the Range at Camp Mathews, where the D.I.'s had a habit of letting the bolt slam home on your trigger finger so you would squeeze the trigger. Lots of black trigger fingers back then.

Old Marine
05-31-11, 08:10 PM
Are you telling me there is another Dave on this forum?? I was pulling you chain Dave.

Carpshooter
05-31-11, 08:22 PM
I meet the first of DIs that first day back in April of '69 and the rest showed up soon afterwards !

Two were Namvets with one being a recon decorated , the other one ( the third DI ) had just a firewatch and goody-two-shoes ribbons !

I hated my DIs and never could figure what they thought they were doing to us , as only half of us graduated , despise having 77 in the platoon , from the yellow footprints as we lost recruits to Awols , broken bones and some just weren't too motivated !

God knows we always hollered kill, kill , kill & kill all the time so everyone would know what to do if the occassion arrived ! That had to be one of the most spoken words in boot camp , at least by my DIs and my platoon !

I don't know what the DIs were doing as there would be alot of Marines who were Awols , deserters , drunks , druggies , etc. after boot camp . I believe that I made some rank cause of all the undesirables that made it through boot camp only to be PFLs ( E-1 privates for life ) .

I really think that when I made corporal while in Nam , was because there was no one else , as it must of been meritorious as my NCOIC at that time was a CORPORAL himself and the orders showed up in the squadron mail !:D

BauerBrat
05-31-11, 08:30 PM
I know you were, Willie---Bauer Brat is named Dave, also, so that's why he said he will take that advice to heart......

Dave just what Marine Corps were you in?. If Harold was busting my balls then so be it. I'd bust his in return. Just two older Marines enjoying a pleasant day at the fair.

But please take a look at the poor Marine Mom wondering about her poor Johnny Cakes and where he'll be stationed. I agree with Chesty who said "Mothers of America you're destroying my Marine Corps"

Semper Fi brothers

BauerBrat
05-31-11, 08:53 PM
Here's what happened.....Willie was busting my chops, not even knowing what your first name is.

I was in the same Marine Corps you were in. I was just saying that Willie was talking to me, not you, so you wouldn't think his comment came out of the blue. He was talking about how long winded I can get.

No one cares about you on here.It's all not real. How do you know I'm who I say I am? How do I know you are who say you are. There are no points awarded, we all end up equal. Relax Dave, we all know you're smart and an attorney but back off a bit. Sometimes you go overboard and I think that's what Harold was referring to.

Relax Marine, you'll live longer

BauerBrat
05-31-11, 09:19 PM
Don't be a jackazz, Bauer, I was explaining something to you nicely, so you would not wonder why Willie was saying you are like a broken record for no reason, out of the blue.

So don't be a jerk, there's no need for it, after I went out of my way to tell you what happened, just so you would not sit there wondering gee I wonder why Willie said that to me.

If I go overboard, it's because I'm interested in most of the threads. Put me on your ignore list, better still, head over to the War Room for some talk.

I just finished saying myself that I can get longwinded. So what is your problem? Head to the War Room and we'll talk about it.

Dave there was no need for you to explain what happened between me and Harold. I knew what he meant and I knew who he was referring to.

War Room Dave? Please don't go there. I know the history.

Old Marine
05-31-11, 09:38 PM
Bauer Brat: I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to you with my post.

It was actually ment for Dave2571. No harm, no foul.

Sempers to you.

kdickerson
06-01-11, 08:57 AM
great stories!! I went to BC in 1982 and things were still very crazy then. My son went to BC in 2005 and sure, they didn't touch him but trust me the Marine DI's still have their own ways to be "great" DI's if you know what I mean. Every year BC changes but my guess is it's still BC. Know what I mean...

USMC-SSGT
06-01-11, 09:00 AM
One of my DI's was stone cold. He hated all of us and did everything he could to prove it. Met him in the fleet about 3 years later and after quite a talk....it was not an act. He personally hated every recruit he ever had.

Talk about immersing yourself in your "craft". Good DI, picture perfect Marine and true to himself and what he believed in.

Cpl Heglar
06-01-11, 09:23 AM
No one cares about you on here.It's all not real.

Dave2571 this statement is not 100% true. I care and I am sure that others like you as well.

Mongoose
06-01-11, 09:39 AM
Dave2571 this statement is not 100% true. I care and I am sure that others like you as well.
Dave's a good man and a good Marine. I'll walk into hell with him any day.

advanced
06-01-11, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Kevin and Billy---I may be longwinded but I never come on here or any other thread and just lay into someone for no reason. I sometimes wonder WTF is going on with people who do, and I'm kind of outspoken about it when it happens.

Don't forget me Dave - I like you a little also, once in a while. Where the hell did this brat come from?

Zulu 36
06-01-11, 01:30 PM
After spending the 4th of July 1971 holiday in Receiving, we met our real DIs there. It was the usual running around, screaming, pushing, etc. They then shuffled us off to our 1st Phase barracks.

En route, we learned how to do the manual of arms with loaded seabags. Then it was time to run awhile with loaded seabags. I later learned that they took us the long way to our barracks.

After we got there and were assigned racks, we drew linen at the sweat locker and were instructed on how to make a rack, Marine Corps style. After we made, and re-made, our racks about three times in an unsat fashion, they decided it was time for rack drill.

We were on the third deck of one of the (then) new H-shaped barracks at San Diego. We had to take our mattresses, linen, pillow, and all, down the forward ladderway and form up on the patio. We then got five-minutes to lay topside and make those racks properly. Needless to say, with about 75 recruits trying to go up three decks carrying mattresses, it took about five minutes to get everyone into the squadbay.

So, we did it again twice more, with less time. They finally let us make our racks and left that one alone for a while (they did come back to the subject later in the day, but without the full evolution up and down stairs). I was never so exhausted in my life up to that point, and it wasn't even time for noon chow yet.

The rest of the day was an exhausting blur of yelling, screaming, thumpings, and trips to the pit. I can't remember, but I think we drew rifles that afternoon too. That night, I was absolutely exhausted, but way too wound up to fall asleep for a couple of hours. Reveille came much too early.

radio relay
06-01-11, 02:08 PM

That's pretty much how it was with us too, in 1968. Except that we only had to deal with it for eight weeks, because they needed bullet sponges for Vietnam. On at least two occasions someone had to go to sick bay for stitches ... yeah, they fell out of the rack. For the SB's that absolutely would not get with the program, there was CC platoon.

I had the same DI's from the moment I stood on the footprints to graduation day.

silverdollar
06-02-11, 07:09 AM
After spending the 4th of July 1971 holiday in Receiving, we met our real DIs there. It was the usual running around, screaming, pushing, etc. They then shuffled us off to our 1st Phase barracks.

En route, we learned how to do the manual of arms with loaded seabags. Then it was time to run awhile with loaded seabags. I later learned that they took us the long way to our barracks.

After we got there and were assigned racks, we drew linen at the sweat locker and were instructed on how to make a rack, Marine Corps style. After we made, and re-made, our racks about three times in an unsat fashion, they decided it was time for rack drill.

We were on the third deck of one of the (then) new H-shaped barracks at San Diego. We had to take our mattresses, linen, pillow, and all, down the forward ladderway and form up on the patio. We then got five-minutes to lay topside and make those racks properly. Needless to say, with about 75 recruits trying to go up three decks carrying mattresses, it took about five minutes to get everyone into the squadbay.

So, we did it again twice more, with less time. They finally let us make our racks and left that one alone for a while (they did come back to the subject later in the day, but without the full evolution up and down stairs). I was never so exhausted in my life up to that point, and it wasn't even time for noon chow yet.

The rest of the day was an exhausting blur of yelling, screaming, thumpings, and trips to the pit. I can't remember, but I think we drew rifles that afternoon too. That night, I was absolutely exhausted, but way too wound up to fall asleep for a couple of hours. Reveille came much too early.

PATIO?:D

Zulu 36
06-02-11, 09:41 AM
PATIO?:D
Yeah, that's what the DIs called the concrete area just outside of the barracks where we always formed up. We actually would sit on the patio; some Sundays we'd take our footlockers to the patio, line them up in formation, and take our free time out there in t-shirts so we could get some sun on our "skinny little arms and bald pin heads."

Sorry, no cocktail service, but we did get to read the San Diego newspaper we were required to buy.

CrockettJW
06-02-11, 09:49 AM
Yeah, that's what the DIs called the concrete area just outside of the barracks where we always formed up. We actually would sit on the patio; some Sundays we'd take our footlockers to the patio, line them up in formation, and take our free time out there in t-shirts so we could get some sun on our "skinny little arms and bald pin heads."

Sorry, no cocktail service, but we did get to read the San Diego newspaper we were required to buy.

I remember having the option to buy the newspaper from a little girl and her dad on Sunday mornings. We weren't required to buy it, though.

advanced
06-02-11, 09:55 AM
I remember having the option to buy the newspaper from a little girl and her dad on Sunday mornings. We weren't required to buy it, though.

Very interesting. At Parris Island we never even heard of newspapers let alone had the opportunity to buy one. Our entire focus was on training and becoming Marines. You see, we all knew we were going to Vietnam and our longevity was in direct proportion to how well we learned, as opposed to reading the sports page.

Zulu 36
06-02-11, 10:08 AM
Yeah, we were "strongly urged" to buy one each Sunday (only day available). We saved them in the sweat locker and used them to buff the squadbay decks during the week. No buffing machines for us.

Since we are all but ordered to buy one, I guess the DIs felt the only fair thing would be to let us read it. I usually only had time for the first section and the cartoons anyway.

CrockettJW
06-02-11, 10:24 AM
The only cleaning we did with the newspapers was cleaning windows. We didn't have buffers, either. We didn't have brooms or mops (swabs) to use, either. All we had were deck towels.

advanced
06-02-11, 11:45 AM
We used a washcloth to clean the deck, no brooms, buffers - just a wash cloth. We had to wash our own skivvies outside on Sunday, spent the rest of Sundays with PT and getting messed with and thumped.

After abut 30 days at PI down at the medical I heard a radio once. I learned to love getting shots, that was a whole hour or so that our 5 DI's couldn't thump us. We also had no planes taking off to distract us, the only thing that flew was sand fleas.

CrockettJW
06-02-11, 11:51 AM
I remember getting those shots like an assembly line. They had it set up so you couldn't really jump from one line to the other, but some guys would still manage to get more shots than they should have.

Mongoose
06-02-11, 12:56 PM
We used a washcloth to clean the deck, no brooms, buffers - just a wash cloth. We had to wash our own skivvies outside on Sunday, spent the rest of Sundays with PT and getting messed with and thumped.

After abut 30 days at PI down at the medical I heard a radio once. I learned to love getting shots, that was a whole hour or so that our 5 DI's couldn't thump us. We also had no planes taking off to distract us, the only thing that flew was sand fleas.
We were told to buy a bottle of Listerine when we went to the px. We mixed it with water to scrub the concrete floors of our huts.

Old Marine
06-02-11, 01:08 PM
Most all of my platoons had a lot of colds in the winter. One platoon I had, not one dink ever complained about having a cold. I called the guide to the duty hut and asked him why. He said that the only thing he could think of was that every pvt was drinking the listerine. What ever works, I guess.

Speaking of shots. Do any of you remember the shot guns that were operated with air. They were supposed to make things much faster, but if you moved it would tear a good hole in your arm.

advanced
06-02-11, 01:42 PM
Most all of my platoons had a lot of colds in the winter. One platoon I had, not one dink ever complained about having a cold. I called the guide to the duty hut and asked him why. He said that the only thing he could think of was that every pvt was drinking the listerine. What ever works, I guess.

Speaking of shots. Do any of you remember the shot guns that were operated with air. They were supposed to make things much faster, but if you moved it would tear a good hole in your arm.

Oh yes, the shot guns. Those prives were drinking the listerine and were most likely getting high, my guess is they weren't feeling anything.

Mongoose, we just used our damp washcloths, no soap, no listerine. We did it the Marine Corps way.

Mongoose
06-02-11, 02:05 PM
Oh yes, the shot guns. Those prives were drinking the listerine and were most likely getting high, my guess is they weren't feeling anything.

Mongoose, we just used our damp washcloths, no soap, no listerine. We did it the Marine Corps way.
Russ, we had a bed wetter in our hut. Pizzed in the bed every night. Kept it hid for awhile. Finally found out he wasnt turning in all his sheets once a week. Stunk like hell when it warmed up. Nasty s.o.b. D.I.s got him one week and never saw him again.

CrockettJW
06-02-11, 02:26 PM
Russ, we had a bed wetter in our hut. Pizzed in the bed every night. Kept it hid for awhile. Finally found out he wasnt turning in all his sheets once a week. Stunk like hell when it warmed up. Nasty s.o.b. D.I.s got him one week and never saw him again.

We had a bed-wetter, too. His bunk was right next to mine and he had a top bunk. I never realized it until his bunkie complained to the DIs about it. The bed-wetter was an okay guy, but nervous all the time. I don't think anything ever happened to him and he graduated with us.

advanced
06-02-11, 03:43 PM
We had a bed-wetter, too. His bunk was right next to mine and he had a top bunk. I never realized it until his bunkie complained to the DIs about it. The bed-wetter was an okay guy, but nervous all the time. I don't think anything ever happened to him and he graduated with us.

John - His bunkee should have switched places with him. We had a guy in my platoon in Nam that his buds said always **** his pants when ever we got hit, and he wasn't dead yet either.

advanced
06-02-11, 03:48 PM
Mongoose - I stayed in those huts when I was at Pendleton. How did the DI's stay on your asses all the time if you could hide out. I mean they can't be everywhere right. How many huts to a platoon?

At PI we had one big squad bay with 90+ of us, couldn't get away with **** with 5 DI's jumping around everywhere. Couldn't even say **** without it being heard. Our racks were issued to us in alphabetical order. My last name starts with A, I'm 1st rack, top bunk, 1st one closest to the DI table.

Mongoose
06-02-11, 03:55 PM
Mongoose - I stayed in those huts when I was at Pendleton. How did the DI's stay on your asses all the time if you could hide out. I mean they can't be everywhere right. How many huts to a platoon?

At PI we had one big squad bay with 90+ of us, couldn't get away with **** with 5 DI's jumping around everywhere. Couldn't even say **** without it being heard. Our racks were issued to us in alphabetical order. My last name starts with A, I'm 1st rack, top bunk, 1st one closest to the DI table.
Russ, it was one squad to a hut. The DIs slept in the duty hut.

advanced
06-02-11, 04:00 PM
Russ, it was one squad to a hut. The DIs slept in the duty hut.

That's a big difference in the two MCRD's that I never thought about before. I guess you all could talk to each other pretty much. They were always on us too hard.

jumpinjack
06-02-11, 04:15 PM
June 1968, we was on the Grinder MCRD SD doing close order drills, was at attention, Ssgt Denault was on the far end of the platoon screaming up some poor guy's nostels, I was was number 6 first front, being last name started with a B. Fly buzzing around my head, landed on my cheek, I slapped it, caught it, then back asap to attention, Ssgt seen it, how I don't know. He was on me like stink, What did you do puck??? WHAT the HELL did you do PUcK? Sir Pvt Barham slapped a fly Sir, He screamed, you killed my Marine Corps Fly!!! Sir Aye Sir I shouted, What give you the right to kill my Beloved Marine Corps fly Puck!!!! Sir PVT Does not know Sir. Show me my fly!! I opened my hand and showed him the fly. He marched us to the sandpit, dismissed the Platoon except for me,Rest of the platton was doing PT, he got me a entrenching tool, and told me to dig a grave for his Marine Corps fly, 3' by 3'. He pulled up a lawn chair and magazine, I dug the grave, He told me to place the fly in the, I did so, then he ordered me to cover the fly, I was about 10 shovel fulls and he screamed stop scum, you forget to say last rites, find me that fly, I jumped down and searched untill I found the fly, he pulled out a small match box, put the fly in it and made me say last rites on over the fly. By this time it was getting dark. I filled in the grave. He double timed my butt back to the huts. I missed chow that night. And need I have to say I had a platoon ****ed at me for a couple of days. Them having to do squat thrusts forever.

advanced
06-02-11, 04:25 PM
bed wetting sometimes is a medical problem Maybe he was scared of some of you But I admit he should have put the sheets out!
Please understand I am a New Zealander and dont rubbish me

Here is the troll from the other thread.

Lisa 23
06-02-11, 04:34 PM
mashka or whoever you are....this forum is for MARINES, not Marine Friends.

Mongoose
06-02-11, 04:53 PM

When we went to the rifle range. We all slept in the same big bay area. The DIs also slept there. We wasnt used to that. They kept us up past midnight ever night fvcking with us. W hen the DIs got you on their shet list. They would send you next door to a different plt. and make try to join it. Wasnt any officers around. You could smell alcohol on the DIs breath. I think they stayed drunk all the time we were on the range.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-02-11, 05:13 PM
You stepped outside the line. Therefore, you've been banned. Failing to follow the rules, namecalling, and other juvenile like behavior.

advanced
06-02-11, 05:17 PM
Softball - Sorry the troll went after you, she was after me. You did good Marine!

Lisa 23
06-02-11, 05:22 PM
Softball - Sorry the troll went after you, she was after me. You did good Marine!

No problem Russ........ :thumbup:

06yz125
06-07-11, 07:24 PM
What was the question again?? <br />
<br />
Oh Yea.. <br />
<br />
We were marched (well kind of) from receiving to our new home. 3rd Battalion Parris Island. <br />
<br />
There were three nice officer types there explaining...