PDA

View Full Version : Whos who Qs

lelou
10-20-03, 12:44 PM
I heard the first ever USMC recruiter was called Robert Muller...anyone know if that is right? I have tried doing a search but nothing is coming up :no: so any one who knows his rank and more details it would be good!

The "founder of the USMC" Samuel Nicholas, Is he talked about as Captain or Major? .... few places put it as "Captain Samuel Nicholas (later Major)" I would have assumed that he would be called Major Samuel Nicholas but better check!

Also keep coming over different spelling for Sgt Major Dan Daly surname is it Daly or Daley?!

jenrmurray
10-20-03, 02:16 PM
Robert Mullen. He was the owner of Tun Tavern, the birthplace of the Marine Corps. He was such a successful recruiter that he was commissioned as a Captain in the Corps.

Samuel Nicholas wasn't the founder, but he was the first Commandant. At the time, he was just known as the Senior Officer of the Continental Marines, but he was later recognized as the first Commandant. He was first commissioned as a Captain, but did later pick up Major.

The correct spelling is Daly. He won the Medal of Honor as a Private for single-handedly holding off scores of Boxers during the Boxer Rebellion in 1900.

I hope that helps! :)