PDA

View Full Version : The Words They Leave To Us

USNAviator
05-29-11, 05:30 PM
Together, across the years of our nation’s history, they answered the call.
They stood the watch.
They looked neither left nor right.
They did not search for an exit.
They walked steadily and unafraid into mortal danger, knowing all the risks and all the costs.
On rolling ships at sea … on dusty streets under a burning sun … in the high mountain passes … and in the stormy skies … they said simply and bravely, “I will go.”

So many … too many … were lost to us forever.

This letter comes from World War I. A grieving father writes the following about the loss of his son. “It is hard to open the letters from those you love who are dead; but Quentin’s last letters, written during his three weeks at the front, when of his squadron, on average, a man was killed every day, are written with real joy in the ‘great adventure.’ He was engaged to a very beautiful girl, of very fine and high character; it is heartbreaking for her, as well as for his mother. He had his crowded hour, he died at the crest of life, in the glory of the dawn.”

Quentin was a pilot who was shot down and died behind German lines just months before the end of World War I in 1918. The dead son’s full name was Quentin Roosevelt, the youngest son of former President Teddy Roosevelt

Another letter from Iraq, this one from US Army Captain Michael MacKinnon, to his young daughter Madison:

“Madison, I’m sorry I broke my promise to you when I said I was coming back. You were the jewel of my life. I don’t think anyone would ever be good enough for you. Stay beautiful, stay sweet. You will always be daddy’s little girl.”

Captain Michael MacKinnon died in October, 2005, in Iraq.

More recently, another father gave voice and image to his son—a Marine Lieutenant lost in today’s conflict in Afghanistan.

“Robert was killed protecting our country, its people, and its values from a terrible and relentless enemy in Afghanistan. We are a broken-hearted but proud family. He was a wonderful and precious boy living a meaningful life. He was in exactly the place he wanted to be, doing exactly what he wanted to do, surrounded by the best men on this earth—his Marines and a Navy Doc.”

From another Marine

It was written from Iraq as a “just in case” letter by Private First Class Jesse A. Givens, a letter to be delivered to his wife and children only in the event of his death.

“My family,” he writes, “I never thought that I would be writing a letter like this. I really don’t know where to start. The happiest moments in my life all deal with my little family. I will always have with me the small moments we all shared. The moments when we quit taking life so serious and smiled. The sounds of a beautiful boy’s laughter or the simple nudge of a baby unborn. You will never know how complete you have made me…I did not want to have to write this letter. There is so much more I need to say, so much more I need to share…Please keep my babies safe. Please find it in your heart to forgive me for leaving you alone. . . Teach our babies to live life to the fullest, tell yourself to do the same.

I will always be there with you…Do me a favor, after you tuck the children in, give them hugs and kisses from me. Go outside and look at the stars and count them. Don’t forget to smile.
Love Always, Your husband, Jess.”

The letter was delivered in May 2003, two weeks before the birth of their son and just after his death in combat …

Bruce59
05-29-11, 07:37 PM
One day in the early 1950s I was with my Grandmother up in the attic
looking through an old steamer trunk. When I saw a flag I've never seen
before and asked my grandmother what kind of flag was this? It was
small and had a gold star in the middle. Oh that is a flag families would
hang in your front window if you had a family member killed in the war
she said. I asked, who in our family was killed in the war. She said that
flag was for her brother Harry who was killed in WW1. As she spoke I
could tell their was a lot of pain in her voice, I guessed she hadn't
thought of him for a while, and I just opened up the hurt again. sat
there in the attic and told me how he was killed, how she new all the
details I did not know. She said he was a runner for headquarters and
was shot by a sniper has he was running a message, she said he was
killed with a wooden bullet made to splinter inside the persons body.
So many questions I should have asked, but as a kid you don't think
to ask at the time.
So now jump forward 40 years, and now there is know one left to ask.
but there is the Internet and I know his name, Harry Small U.S. Army
I do a search and I find him.

Harry Small
Private, U.S. Army
118th Infantry Regiment, 30th Division
Entered the Service from: New Jersey
Died: October 17, 1918
Buried at: Plot D Row 16 Grave 11
Somme American Cemetery
Bony, France

If I could have asked I would have asked why did they have him buried
in France and not in the states, I know it was an option.