PDA

View Full Version : A quick (maybe) question

SgtGuernsey
05-29-11, 05:04 AM
I am looking to go back into the Corps. I left active duty in Feb. 2006. And missed it so much I decided to leave the IRR and go to drilling status. Unfortunatly Belton, Mo. does not have Infantry (I am an 0331). So we got to move offices around and play basketball most of the time. That is not what I was looking for. So again, I went back to the IRR. My 8 years was up in Aug. 2010. Now I am fed up with being a nasty civilian so I want to go back in. I have been working out like a madman to make sure I will have a 1st class PFT. So, my question is who do I need to talk to to get this started and with me being a Sgt. is there any chance of getting into another MOS? My wife is fully behind me but I would like to not be gone from her 7-8 months out of the year. If this is in the wrong spot I'm sorry. Wasn't sure where to put the post. :usmc:

iamspartacus
05-31-11, 01:06 PM
I think the way it works is if you want to go reserves you have to talk to a prior service recruiter. If you want to go active duty you have to talk to a regular recruiter. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's what I heard someone else on here say. As far as switching MOS, I don't think it's going to happen. I am in the process of going from IRR to SMCR and my PSR told me there isn't a very big budget right now. Not for a bonus, not to re-train, nothing. And I don't mean to discourage you, but you're probably in for a long road that may or may not end up with you getting back in. Scroll through the Open Squad Bay section and you'll find some threads about people in your situation trying to get back in. It's pretty tough for Marines who are off contract. IRR Marines are a different situation. But the Corps just isn't too interested in bringing Marines back right now who have left.

R Landry
05-31-11, 01:24 PM
Er, please fill out your profile completely before Doc Greek wakes up for today.