PDA

View Full Version : Ran into a poser

PJones64
05-28-11, 05:12 PM
went to a Memorial Day function this morning and along comes a Marine, or so I figured, til I got him into a conversation about what he shot in boot camp, he had no idea what shooting badge he qualified for, then told me a couple of other things that didnt quiet add up, so I figured him for a poser, said to him, well, if you werent in, why say you were, and he got a little heated, so I pressed him as to camp lejeune, well, he wasn't sure what unit he was in there, so I walked away.
But he wasnt trying to get money out of any va programs or anything so I kind of said well there goes a sad case.
I guess this may be the weekend a lot of posers are out and about, being Memorial Day. Very sad to see someone pretending to be something he's not but that is his loss, not mine
Everyone have a good Memorial Day now, and remember our fallen brothers and sisters

CrockettJW
05-29-11, 02:17 PM
Some people are just like that. It's weird that they put themselves into a position where they end up being called out on a lie when they're trying to make themselves sound like they've done something.

USNAviator
05-29-11, 02:33 PM
You have never seen posers like they have in DC this time of year. Every sad pathetic case will be decked out in whatever uniform they "served" in. They are pretty easy to spot. They hang around the Wall hoping to impress some tourist. Some of them have acquired quite a fictitious background. They actually believe their own faux biographies

My daughters and I will be driving up at around 05:00 to visit Arlington. We started a family tradition years ago, no matter where we were stationed, to find the grave of a serviceman long deceased whose family is most likely gone as well. We buy some flowers and leave them on the grave, say a few prayers and thank that individual for their service

If you're at a cemetery tomorrow see if you can find a grave of a service man that doesn't have any flowers and maybe leave a few and say a thank you. Just a suggestion

jumpinjack
05-29-11, 02:52 PM
Had someone tell me the other day that they went into MCRD SD boot camp with rank, siad he went in a E3, ain't never heard of that.. sure raised some questions, he couldn't remember what platoon he was in, said he went in in 1988.

Mongoose
05-29-11, 02:58 PM
Dan, every year I go to a little memorial in Palestine, Texas. It has about 30 memorials for vets, from all wars. I put flags on all the spots. Last year I met a lady sitting beside a memorial of her father.He was a Aviator in V.N. I cant remember what branch. Anyway, she was crying. She told me she was 6 years old when her father was shot down. This man gave up his life, and his family, for his Country. And we turned around and pardoned 60,000 punk cowards that fled to Canada. Figure that out!

Old Marine
05-29-11, 04:30 PM
Had someone tell me the other day that they went into MCRD SD boot camp with rank, siad he went in a E3, ain't never heard of that.. sure raised some questions, he couldn't remember what platoon he was in, said he went in in 1988.

I remember a recruit in one of the Series at MCRD, SD. in 67/68 graduated as a GySgt. Seems he had helped develop a radar tower that was being used in NAM. Apparently they did not have any trained Marines to operate this peice of equipment so this guy came into the Corps and was sent to NAM to train personnel. Don't know for sure, but I think the equipment was on or near Marble Mountain.

silverdollar
05-30-11, 06:40 AM
I went through PI in 1954 with an ex army man who left Marine boot camp as a buck sgt.

kenrobg30
05-30-11, 09:24 AM
WE HAD A GUY IN Plt 257, IN 1948, WHO HAD DONE ONE HITCH IN THE ARMY, ONE IN THE NAVY, AND WAS PLANNING ON DOING ONE IN THE AIR FORCE, AFTER HE GOT HIS FOUR IN THE CORPS. I'VE ALWAYS WONDERED IF THE KOREAN WAR INTERUPTED HIS PLANS. :iwo:s/f!!

DRB
05-30-11, 09:52 AM
I run into posers on a regular basis. After they make a comment that gives them away I just simply ignore them and walk away from them. There is nothing more powerful than just flat out ignoring them because they do it for attention anyways.

Carpshooter
05-30-11, 11:11 AM
I was reading today's Omaha World-Herald and in the Opinion section was an editorial titled " False weterans dishonor the brave who gladly served " by Jonathan Zimmerman .

Well it had a piece about a guy who no doubt was a poser and later the writer claimed that many have inflate or invent military service .It brought up Ronald Reagan , who flasly claimed that he had helped to liberate the Auschwitz concentration near the end of World War II . :sick:

And to think that I was never fond of this guy ( Ronald Reagan ) , cause he did nothing but pull out of Lebanon debacle known as Bierut ! Guess those who lost their lives there were not very important to a poser , as they were mostly Marines !

I value my brothers more than " good old ronald " , it shows that even at the top , there are posers that have fooled us !

Very sad ! :(

Subaru
05-30-11, 11:33 AM
what do you think, poser?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001978604810

DRB
05-30-11, 11:52 AM

You don't recognize a stud when you see one? :D

CrockettJW
05-30-11, 03:18 PM

"Temporarily unavailable."

Roogger
05-30-11, 06:07 PM

When I entered dep in late 2000, you could enlist as e-1, during dep help the recruiters and if you recruited someone you got e-2 and then if you were the platoon guide you got a meritious promotion would make you e-3. There wasn't a way to enlist as an e-3 though. I know the if you sign up in the army as an e-1 though you missed out, just about everyone goes in as at least e-2.

Roogger
05-30-11, 06:09 PM

Spanish springs highschool class of 2011... He shouldn't be outta boot yet much less scout sniper...asshat

CrockettJW
05-31-11, 12:03 AM
When I entered dep in late 2000, you could enlist as e-1, during dep help the recruiters and if you recruited someone you got e-2 and then if you were the platoon guide you got a meritious promotion would make you e-3. There wasn't a way to enlist as an e-3 though. I know the if you sign up in the army as an e-1 though you missed out, just about everyone goes in as at least e-2.

That's how it was when I was in Boot Camp in 1987, except I think you had to recruit three people to get E-2 on graduation and if you were a squad leader or guide, you could get promoted to E-2 if you weren't already and E-3 if you were already going to be an E-2 on graduation.

There was also a way you could get dress blues in your contract, but I don't remember how that was. I had a buddy who had them in his contract and never did get them as far as I know.

249gunner
05-31-11, 09:14 AM
While we're on the poser topic, does anyone know anything about this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/nomorenarcissism
claims to be an officer

MD8724
06-01-11, 05:52 PM

I believe everyone enlists as an E-1, as they have to group you there for pay purposes. Anyways, we had guys who had been in the Army that graduated as E-3. I don't know if they got E-3 pay the whole time, but depending on how you look at it, they did enlist as an E-3.

CrockettJW
06-02-11, 07:21 AM
I believe everyone enlists as an E-1, as they have to group you there for pay purposes. Anyways, we had guys who had been in the Army that graduated as E-3. I don't know if they got E-3 pay the whole time, but depending on how you look at it, they did enlist as an E-3.

I remember guys leaving boot camp as E-2 and E-3, but I have no idea what their date of rank was. I know none of us got paid there until we left. In 1987, they didn't pay us anything until right before graduation. Then, we got a check for $925, which we had to cash there and turn around and buy plane tickets home and to our next duty station (school).

We got paid while we were at the school. I think the base pay for an E-1 with less than four months in was $590 a month and I got a check for $237 on the first and 15th. It wasn't until after the school that we got our pay settled. For me, that was about four months after I left boot camp. I wonder if the guys who were contract E-2 and E-3 had it the same way.

temarti
06-02-11, 08:35 AM
Our guide graduated an E-3, prior Air Force SNCO, in the same series we had another guide who graduated a Cpl., during the graduation practice they explained it to us, he was a prior Army Officer.