PDA

View Full Version : shipping with some mixed feelings

holey336
05-27-11, 12:20 PM
hey guys, the main reason for this post is to say im shipping!!!! after waiting over a year from the time i stated talking to my recruiter to waiting for waivers and such i finally leave this Tuesday. one thing i feel kind of bad about though, is on the ist which i just finished maybe an hour ago i did great on pull ups and crunches but the run which i had to do in 12:30 i came in at 12:35, one of the sergeants from my RSS gave me a good yelling at for forgetting my running shoes, and said he would see what he could do and few minutes later gave me the good news. i didn't take anyone's spot so im glad about that and im so excited and ready to leave. but i don't feel like i earned it, maybe if i had my running shoes it would've went better; but ill never know and im disappointed at my performance, hopefully when i come back ill be a mean green running machine. thanks to all the poolees and Marines on here for all the helpful suggestions and great conversation over the months.:flag:

Lisa 23
05-27-11, 02:54 PM
Joseph, don't worry, you'll do just fine. Just pay atttention to your Drill Instructors....stay strong, both mentally & physically, and always help your fellow recruits out!!!
And stay hydrated!!! http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/th_drinkingwater.gif (http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/?action=view&current=drinkingwater.gif)

Best of luck to you on your journey to become a United States Marine!

MunkyVsRobot
05-27-11, 04:28 PM
He might have just wanted you to be doing better than you should be, passing time for the run for males is 13:30. Also remember the IST run is half of the PFT run, the PFT run is 3 Miles in I believe under 28 minutes.

Just remember when your boots hit the ground never stop and never quit, and give 110%.

One last thing about your IST, I was talking to an 03 last weekend about Physical Training he said that the whole Recruit Training is built around taking someone who does the bare minimum of 2 pull ups 44 crunches in under 2:00 and run a half mile in 13:30 into a Marine. As long as you can remember why you are there and what you signed up for you will do fine.

Boot camp is only a small blip in your career as a Marine. 13 Weeks compared to the 5 to 20 years you could possibly be doing in the Corps.

holey336
05-28-11, 05:06 AM
thanks guys, that made me feel a lot better, i know it'll be challenging but that's what i wanted i cant wait to go and give it my all

IHaveEGA843
05-28-11, 07:30 AM
Holey, take it from a wannabe.......you'll do fine as long as you keep your head clear of all negative doubts.

1 thing I'm going to attempt to do in boot is keep near the front as much as possible because you know you'll get a good time if you're mixed in with the good runners. Its all mental bro, last week I went to PT and we ran, I kept up with the pack and once we got back to the RS I asked my Recruiter what would those times look like. He said starting out it would've been a 7:30-8 min 1.5 but when people dropped back we slowed to a 12 min. If I can run a good 1.5 mile I know you can.

Just remember don't try your best, do your best, I'll be here to say "congrats Marine"

holey336
05-31-11, 04:40 PM
well i got screwed over at MEPS today and now cant ship till monday, its only 6 days but i already put all my stuff away and started canceling accounts/ paid almost all of my $ towards last minute bills and expenses so its kind of a pain, plus i gotta go to the hotel again and waste a day so i can take the ist again the next day since my last one wont be valid by monday, today was a waste and a disappointment

OVonRomer
05-31-11, 04:50 PM
How come you have to retake the IST? You didn't perform well enough?

Edit:: I see you're from Brooklyn, Fort Hamilton MEPS was a horror when I went.

holey336
05-31-11, 07:20 PM
i performed well enough, i mean 5 sec over on the run, but i was still allowed to ship. a friend from my rss ( a backup who wasn't allowed to ship today either) has to take it over too, i think they're only good for 72 hours or something like that. our recruiter is trying to talk em out of making us re-do it, only because of the hassle of having to stay in the hotel and what not, i actually live closer to meps then the hotel. fort Hamilton's MEPS blows but from what i hear mostly all of em do

IHaveEGA843
05-31-11, 08:27 PM
If you have to retake it make sure you get a good amount of sleep in. I've noticed I perform 100x better with adequte hydration and sleep. Pretty common sense stuff but its like night and day.

I'm ready to be in your spot man, ready to get the **** on PI.

holey336
05-31-11, 10:52 PM
yea definitely, im good on little sleep but hydration is a huge factor n i screwed up on that last time, wont make that mistake again, hopefully they really let me ship this Monday, lol. Ive been bummed all day, id probably almost be arriving at P.I. just about now :(

OVonRomer
06-01-11, 05:11 AM
I'm confused... how come you have to retake it? :scared:

Enjoy your last 120 hours of freedom! :beer:

holey336
06-01-11, 07:51 AM
from what i was told the results of an IST are only valid for 72 hours, that why u take it on friday to ship monday typically, so by next monday mine will no longer be valid and i must re-take it in order to ship. I'm less upset about it now, but id still much rather be at P.I right now instead of "enjoying" my last few days again

ChrrySkoal
06-01-11, 09:23 AM
Eat them doubts Holey! Stay motovatied! Your gunna be a lean mean fighting machine, better yet a United States Marine! Good luck bro, GET SOME!!:evilgrin:

holey336
06-02-11, 11:42 AM
now it even harder to be motivated, i just found out that im not shipping this monday and theres no word on when i will but it'll "hopefully be sometime this month", this is really ****ing me over

holey336
06-03-11, 02:28 PM
just got the word today, im not shipping till july 18th :(

IHaveEGA843
06-03-11, 03:28 PM
SMH you think you're getting ****ed over, I cant even get a physical to DEP in to have a REAL ship date.

I try not to think about it, keep your head strong and work out from time to time. Its aggravating as ****, trust me I know.

Won't tell you "stay motivated" but keep the faith man

IHaveEGA843
06-03-11, 04:08 PM
Scratch That I Got Some Good News Today!!!!!!

Meps Here I ****ing Come!

holey336
06-03-11, 05:12 PM
congrats man, yea i've seen ur story on here b4, glad ur finally going to dep in, im mostly ****ed cause i quit my job, put all my stuff away, canceled all of my accounts and what not, and now im stuck for a while, im definitely disheartened and un-motivated but im sure i'll get over it, and continue working toward my goal, only another.... 42 days right?

OVonRomer
06-03-11, 06:15 PM
just got the word today, im not shipping till july 18th :(

More time to P.T.! Although nobody will truly be 'prepared' enough for boot camp, it's better than nothing! ;)

IHaveEGA843
06-03-11, 08:24 PM
Damn Holey, how old are you? You seriously did a lot man and if you were on your own I have to say what the ****!?!? Id be raising hell in the RS, I'm talking about getting ghetto like a muggafuggah!

I can only say I'm sorry for what you're going through right now, that's crazy.

Hopefully that date will be bumped forward.

Again man that is sad to hear for real

semperfimrn1
06-03-11, 09:34 PM
damn bro, they say why