PDA

View Full Version : Little Seniority question

jwalker242
05-25-11, 09:42 PM
Our shops got this dilemma were trying to figure out which of these 2 Cpls are senior. One has 3 years TIS with 1 deployment and was Promoted September 1, 2011. The other has 2.5 years TIS with no deployment and picked up Meritoriously on September 2, 2011.

Does Meritorious Trump a score pick up? Is this a matter of TIS because TIG is virtually the same? help us resolve this please.

SSgtRSD
05-25-11, 10:09 PM
I was promoted to Sgt meritoriously. There were also three other Marines in my Company who were promoted on the first of that same month. I had it thrown in my face a few times that they were senior because of that one day. Sadly, I cannot give you a solid reference to the answer. In my humble opinion, if we are talking about billet and responsibility I would look at TIG, however more than that I look at the overall proficiency and conduct, not the TIS/TIG. I have been burned several times putting Marines in billets because of simple TIS/TIG knowing they would fail but felt I had to give them the rope anyways...But if this is just for ****s and giggles I would assume they are looked as the same in regards to TIS and could then fall to TIG, however we all know what happens when we assume...

YLDNDN6
05-25-11, 11:12 PM
When I was in, and this wasn't necessarily while we were fighting the British, you always went with TIG. TIG represents how long a person has held his/her rank, which is the basis for seniority. TIS only came into play when you had two Marines of the same rank who obtained their rank on the exact same date. TIS would then determine the senior Marine.

SSgtRSD
05-25-11, 11:24 PM
Oops, I flipped TIS and TIG. Must be past my bedtime...

elliscraig12
05-26-11, 04:56 AM
First you go by TIG. If you were promoted at the same time, the it would be TIS.

Kegler300
05-26-11, 06:08 AM
September 2011 isn't here yet. However, 1 Sep 2011 is senior to 2 Sep 2011. That one day can make a significant difference when the cut-off DOR is the first of the month, vice the 2nd.

03Mike
05-26-11, 08:30 AM
Master Guns is right on the money - they specifically date meritorious promotions on the day after TIS/TIG promotions to alleviate this issue.

The Corporal promoted on 1 Sept is senior to the one promoted on 2 Sept. In this case, it is TIG - he has been a Corporal one day longer.

0331 2 0369
05-26-11, 08:47 AM
Always view promotion date first. If promoted on same day then compare TIS.:beer: <br />
<br />
But you must always keep in mind that just because someone has more time in grade doesn't make them a better...