PDA

View Full Version : Do people see you as being different?

DRB
05-25-11, 04:54 PM
You know being in a combat zone and in the military in general taught me to appreciate the small things. I also do not need alot of things to be happy. I've been cold, tired, and hungry. I almost got killed a few times. It's no big deal to me if I have to wait in line at a bank for ten minutes. I also do not mind if someone does not like me or does not acknowledge me. Life is too short. I know people who are on medicine just because the person who sits next to them at work does not speak to them very much. I know others who hate their neighbor because he just landed that big job or bought a new car. I don't care about those things. People have told me I am void of feelings and human emotions. I tell them I do not sweat the small things. People also do not define who I am. I feel no need to justify my beliefs to others. People can choose to like or dislike me. That is their choice. Life is too short. I will live in a manner which pleases me and not to impress others. How many of you can relate?

Carpshooter
05-25-11, 05:33 PM
The Corps taught me that I will be without alot of things including women , booze , vehicles , clothes , money , good chow , nice clothes , mom @ dad , etc. and will just have to improvise , adapt and overcome things in order to survive ( didn't kill me ) ! :flag:

Also taught me what was important and worth fighting for and that is what we here in this great country have ! :iwo:

Apache
05-25-11, 05:54 PM
Affirmative on all the above
What I do/have is because I or my family has expressed an intrest
What the neighbors think may/may not be their malfunction,I don't gaie a darn

At the end of the day others impressions are not a defining factor.

R Landry
05-25-11, 10:09 PM
Because I'm kind of a nerdy-looking guy, people are surprised when I tell them I was in the Corps. There are two Marines in my Rotary Club. The other one was a MCRD San Diego grad and was in for two years. Most of the rest are retired AF jet jocks.

AAV Crewchief
05-25-11, 11:25 PM
You know being in a combat zone and in the military in general taught me to appreciate the small things. I also do not need alot of things to be happy. I've been cold, tired, and hungry. I almost got killed a few times. It's no big deal to me if I have to wait in line at a bank for ten minutes. I also do not mind if someone does not like me or does not acknowledge me. Life is too short. I know people who are on medicine just because the person who sits next to them at work does not speak to them very much. I know others who hate their neighbor because he just landed that big job or bought a new car. I don't care about those things. People have told me I am void of feelings and human emotions. I tell them I do not sweat the small things. People also do not define who I am. I feel no need to justify my beliefs to others. People can choose to like or dislike me. That is their choice. Life is too short. I will live in a manner which pleases me and not to impress others. How many of you can relate?

Well, can relate to all of that except where my civilian job is of concern. I do my best to care, but with the cuts we're facing as teachers, it is like WTF? Why bother?

I care about my kids that I teach and their welfare. I have a group of ESE kids who have really come MILES since 9th grade just 4 years ago. A couple live down the street from me. They are awesome. I will miss them all and regret missing most of their four years during deployments.

I hope they can find work and move forward.

DRB
05-26-11, 06:19 AM
Don't misunderstand me. I do care about people. My profession demands that I do as I work for a homeless shelter. I just don't care for those who have a agenda; especially those who think their way of doing things is the only way. I have learned to have honor, integrity, and loyalty. Those qualities are rare in today's society. Am I saying I am perfect? Not at all but I fight the good fight everyday. There are alot of people in my surroundings who are actually proud of doing wrong.

03Mike
05-26-11, 08:42 AM
Don - what you are experiencing isn't uncommon at all for those who have been through the same type of thing. I call it a change in perspective - the things that used to be so damn important really aren't anymore. You have a better appreciation for what really is important in life.

Here is what I have found:

Most crises at work, aren't.
Stuff that bothers people, generally shouldn't.
There is very, very little at work that stresses me out anymore.

One thing that we all learned in the Corps is how to take a problem and break it down into its component parts in order to find a solution. At work, when I have a project to be done I still write up my project plan as a slightly modified 5 paragraph order (complete with coordinating instructions). If it's a big, multi-month campaign that involves other departments, I no-**** pull out my old copy of the FMFM 3-1 and write up that plan in accordance with an amphibious operations order (which is also why I try to hire former NCOs and retired SNCOs to work on my team).

It's not that you don't care about people - you probably care about them more than most people realize (or can comprehend). What you don't have is a tolerance for the petty bull**** -- the pretense -- that so many in today's society think is so important -- their personal agendas.

I can definitely relate with what you are saying.