View Full Version : Emotional event a highlight of Pioneer Days in 29 Palms

thedrifter
10-20-03, 06:16 AM
Parade welcomes Marines home
Emotional event a highlight of Pioneer Days in 29 Palms

By Xochitl Peña
The Desert Sun
October 19th, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TWENTYNINE PALMS -- It looked like Independence Day.

Red, white and blue flags were the accessory of choice for many of the parade-goers who lined the streets in this military town on Saturday.

"I’m totally pro-military. I’m supporting the troops and my family," said an excited Sylvia Lopez,who had a small flag sticking out of her hair to match her red, white and blue outfit.

She was one of hundreds of people who gathered along Twentynine Palms Highway and Adobe Road for the "Welcome Home Marines" parade, part of the city’s Pioneer Days celebration.

With three nephews and a son-in-law in Iraq, and a son gearing up for deployment to Afghanistan in January, Lopez said it was very important for her to show her support at the parade.

"I know what a lot of the wives and families go through -- it’s hard," she said. "This is very special, it’s good for them to know we stand behind them."

With the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center occupying a 932-square-mile area at the north end of town, the Marines have a large presence in the high desert.

There are about 11,000 active-duty military personnel stationed at the base.

"It gives me goosebumps to see them," said Claudia Hamiltonfrom Morongo Valley.

She said it was very awe-inspiring to see the throngs of tanks, armored vehicles and Marines in formation line the street during the parade.

It started out with the typical floats handcrafted by local schools and organizations that paid tribute to the armed services.

It was the finale with the large contingent of Marines and equipment, however, that stirred emotions and brought sitting spectators to their feet.

Cobra helicopter flybys were also an impressive sight for many.

Luis Rubioof Twentynine Palms attended the parade to pay tribute and get close to a military tank.

"It’s good for people to see them come through. We appreciate what they do," said Rubio’s wife, Patricia Villeme.

Soduk Croftcame out of her jewelry store on Twentynine Palms Highway to watch the parade and offer support. "This town needs a gathering like this to cheer them up," she said.

Marne Kelley,a local recording artist, tried to cheer up some of the Marines by handing out her adult contemporary Christian CD. As military vehicles made their way down the street, she would periodically run up to the different vehicles to pass it out.

"I’m just saying thank you to the troops. Thank-you and God bless you," Kelley said.

Marine Capts. John Kelley and Jason Starsaid they appreciated the tribute.

"It’s uplifting," said Star.

Both Marines participated in the parade.

"It’s great for the community to show support for the Marines," said Kelley.

Vietnam veteran John McFarlanesaid he never got a welcome home parade after serving, so he was glad the local troops were being honored. "I like to show support for them."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xochitl Peña covers Indio and Coachella for The Desert Sun. She can be reached at 360-1340 or by e-mail.

http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories2003/local/20031019011654.shtml

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: