PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my IST scores. And I am about to leave.

Patientlywaitin
05-22-11, 05:44 PM
Since March 1st I have been running 3-4 times a week, well I didn't run very much in April I got kinda turned off by waiting.

My crunches are at 114 and pull ups 16-17.
But my running is terrible I did a 16:10 run at our Poolee IST.
I am pretty sure most of it was that we had to double time to our starting point for a half mile. But still I cant even run 2 miles without stopping.

My leave date was sept 12th but just got moved up to July 18th. And I have just really picked up my running to running as far as I can around a 3 mile track, Mon. Wed. and Friday. And sunday I do my mile and a half run.

I tried to run on a treadmill for my mile and a half, and it turns out that I do even worse at what seems like a faster pace.

What can I do to really step my A** into gear and get around a 12 min mile and a half time.

I see all these amazing IST times, and wonder what I have done. I am in college and have no job, or I was in college, so I am not going from being active to running. Thats why I am so bad at running I never really did it.

93Reaper
05-22-11, 06:02 PM
Since March 1st I have been running 3-4 times a week, well I didn't run very much in April I got kinda turned off by waiting.

My crunches are at 114 and pull ups 16-17.
But my running is terrible I did a 16:10 run at our Poolee IST.
I am pretty sure most of it was that we had to double time to our starting point for a half mile. But still I cant even run 2 miles without stopping.

My leave date was sept 12th but just got moved up to July 18th. And I have just really picked up my running to running as far as I can around a 3 mile track, Mon. Wed. and Friday. And sunday I do my mile and a half run.

I tried to run on a treadmill for my mile and a half, and it turns out that I do even worse at what seems like a faster pace.

What can I do to really step my A** into gear and get around a 12 min mile and a half time.

I see all these amazing IST times, and wonder what I have done. I am in college and have no job, or I was in college, so I am not going from being active to running. Thats why I am so bad at running I never really did it.
I got you on this, the recruiters and many other people including my fitness teacher tell people to do Sprint Walks. Go to a track and sprint the straights, jog or walk the turns. Do it a few times around the track everyday on top of your normal lifting (or whatever) workout you do and do it after. It helps build up endurance, and if you don't want to do that then i would say push yourself to run 3 miles one day and 1.5 miles the next then another 3 and so forth. I myself am not a great long distance runner but i get consistently around 9:45-10:30 which is a good IST time and around 20-21 minute 3miles.

Patientlywaitin
05-22-11, 06:08 PM
Man I dont really do crunches much anymore I can still hammer out 115 tho which isnt bad. I dont really do workouts I dont have weights or anything. I heard that boot camp doesnt really have a lot of running which is what makes the pft so hard

93Reaper
05-22-11, 06:18 PM
Man I dont really do crunches much anymore I can still hammer out 115 tho which isnt bad. I dont really do workouts I dont have weights or anything. I heard that boot camp doesnt really have a lot of running which is what makes the pft so hard
You must be joking because there is no way anyone could take this seriously. If i am wrong someone please prove it because all the friends and people that I've talked to that are marines now say they ran a lot in bootcamp.

Patientlywaitin
05-22-11, 06:20 PM
I got a friend I was talking to last night in Okinawa hes a grunt. 0311. He pretty much said that they didnt run as much as he had expected.

93Reaper
05-22-11, 06:27 PM
I got a friend I was talking to last night in Okinawa hes a grunt. 0311. He pretty much said that they didnt run as much as he had expected.
"Do not forget to do stretches before and after all exercises and runs.
Run, run, and run some more. You'll be doing lots of it in boot camp so get used to it now."

From the Stickied thread The Ultimate Guide for Boot Camp
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59314

Patientlywaitin
05-22-11, 06:32 PM
Anyway I know I am trying to work my way into the best I can in the next 2 months. my main goal is to make that 6mph into 7.5 miles an hr. Its really starting to **** me off that I cant run for ****.

Patientlywaitin
05-22-11, 06:55 PM
oo-rah.com/store/pt/pt0214.asp

Just read that and it made me have a small sense of relief. That they will start you out at 1.5miles.

Patientlywaitin
05-22-11, 07:41 PM
Still gonna do my best though, gonna train as hard as I can for the next two months!!

Tbrown10
05-22-11, 07:54 PM
also get on the stair stepper Machine if your gym has one, and you might wanna dosprint/walk like that one guy said, that helped me a ton but heres my leg routine..

Mondays
1.5 Mile for time as hard as i can ( not allowed to stop/walk)
Wait a few hours then do...
-5 Rounds of:
-Stair Stepper machine 2 minutes at 90-100 steps per minute
-Treadmill (Sprint hard for .15 mile)
-Rest 2 mins between rounds

Wednesday
Run a slow 3 miles at an easy pace,maybe take a route that has some hills and work on controlling breathing
-non stop 10 mins of:
-15 push ups
-20 situps
-15 air squats ( killer lol)

Fridays
-Mondays workout

im pretty sure i could run a mid 10 1.5 mile now since on my last ist i got a 1130

Patientlywaitin
05-22-11, 08:19 PM
Thanks, Tbrown10.

IHaveEGA843
05-22-11, 09:58 PM
What I've done is sprints on the treadmill on mon wed fri and just go run paced how I want it for 1.5 2 miles tus thrus.

Get on a treadmill put a 2.0 incline on it. Sprint 7.1 for .25 the jog or fast walk th next .25 then go back up to 7.1 for .25 the jog or fast walk for .25 the sprint 7.1 for .25 then jog or walk for .25. That's your mile and a half. Control your breathing in your nose out your mouth.

Sat I did pt with my rs and we went running and I was talking and **** joking around. It sucked but I can easily do it and keep up with my recruiter. I asked him and he told me when we first started out we could've finished the 1.5 in 7 min but he slowed it down for some of the laggers then he said a high 12 low 13 min 1.5.

Its all mental man and when you run by yourself it truly sucks but when its in formation or with a partner its 10X better.

MunkyVsRobot
05-22-11, 10:07 PM

Hahaha you seriously have got to be joking right. You do realize that the ist is only half the pft right? the pft run is 3 miles in under 28 min i believe.

and knocking off almost 3 minutes off your run time before the end of july is only going to take one thing running running and more running. I suggest jogging 2 miles without walking 3 times a week leaving a buffer day in to recover you could try for 5 days a week. But with your IST time being at over 16 min you are either running slow or are walking a lot.

robbyj
05-22-11, 11:26 PM
Fail Sauce

Honcho1010
05-23-11, 12:09 AM
I think he meant boot camp doesn't involve AS MUCH PT as we all think. I've heard that also. Still, its far more than the average person would do.

So, i went from a 17 minute 1.5 mile to a 11:55 as of my last poolee function. Basically, i ran every day. Not at a slow or fast pace just ran for 20 minutes every morning and 40 minutes every night. This boosted my endurance to new heights. So the following week i ran at a faster pace, looking to clock time. Not my IST times but it was decent times. You really just need to learn to run hard. Sprint hard at the end of all your runs, every time you run. This helped me from April-May. i ran 13:36 at April's function and 11:55 at May's. Im improving daily. Good luck man.

MunkyVsRobot
05-23-11, 11:32 AM
I think he meant boot camp doesn't involve AS MUCH PT as we all think. I've heard that also. Still, its far more than the average person would do.

So, i went from a 17 minute 1.5 mile to a 11:55 as of my last poolee function. Basically, i ran every day. Not at a slow or fast pace just ran for 20 minutes every morning and 40 minutes every night. This boosted my endurance to new heights. So the following week i ran at a faster pace, looking to clock time. Not my IST times but it was decent times. You really just need to learn to run hard. Sprint hard at the end of all your runs, every time you run. This helped me from April-May. i ran 13:36 at April's function and 11:55 at May's. Im improving daily. Good luck man.

That I hear is a truisim, we had a PFC who was home on Recruiters Assistance basically he was waiting to get into MOS school so he went home to help the recruiters and he can screw around at home too.

He said the 1st phase your life is just to PT PT PT every day, the 2nd phase you PT in the morning for a few hours 5 days a week typically in the morning then you are in class all day, then 3rd phase you PT something like 2 to 3 times a week.

Honcho1010
05-23-11, 05:41 PM
Exactly the way i heard it. My recruiter told us the 1st month is the hardest, full of PT. Said if you push yourself it should become easier the last 2 months. We shall all see soon...

IHaveEGA843
05-23-11, 06:31 PM
I don't know about yall but I'm ready to be in the best shape of my life!

The soreness, the suck of it, the will to push and continue, the random thoughts of complaining that will be going through my head, and that sigh of relief when your day is done and you can finally rest because you're damn tired.

I want it

StephenKlein87
05-23-11, 06:42 PM
My recruiter has us work on our strides a lot. I never thought it would help that much, but instead of taking those short choppy steps, take really long steps. I went from 10:24 to a 9:20 mile and a half just concentrating on strides alone. It also helps me to think about my breathing the whole time. I usually just match my breathing with my steps. Three breaths in, three breaths out with every step. Then when I start getting tired it usually goes to 2 breaths in 2 breaths out. Really focus on the strides though. It might feel goofy at first, but just take large steps. Don't sprint, just take really large steps and keep a consistent speed.

IHaveEGA843
05-23-11, 07:37 PM
^^^^^Truth!!!

If you have long legs like I do utilize of them because the stride covers more ground.

Patientlywaitin
05-23-11, 09:23 PM
Hmm I will try all of this, I just bet it would be a whole lot easier having someone to run with and push you. I guess I am just gonna run 4-5 days a week and concentrate on sprint/jog. And sprint a 1/4 jog a 1/4 and do it as long as I can.

My problem is my speed, and my endurance really. I am trying to build endurance but I cant do both at the same time it seems I am either gonna run for 30 mins without stopping or run a fast 12 mins. And I was running at 6mph. or 5.5 at times to catch my breath. I cant breath through my nose cause of a deviated septum, but I try to breath as good as I can to balance my running and muscle movement. I guess I just gotta do whatever it takes. Run for a 1/4 jog a 1/4 seems like it will work alright?

Tbrown10
05-24-11, 10:14 AM
just split it up one day work on speed, next day endurance

SnowByThePound
06-07-11, 05:47 PM
There has been lots of good advice given but simple the issue is that you havent been running. Just keep to it everyday, make sure you are eating healthy clean foods for energy

Put on your poolee t-shirt, start running, and every time your legs feel like jell-o, or you start getting short of breath, tell yourself not to be a b!tch(Literally) and keep moving, even if you have to slow your pace down a little. Pretend there is a DI next to you and you are telling him "I cant i cant" and what the response is going to be. When you are getting tired, just think about those people overseas in 100+ degree weather, patrolling and doing other jobs that put them in harms way, who aren't stopping because they are "tired", then be grateful you don't have 60-100Lbs of extra weight on. Pretend you are running through from Point A to Point B to do your mission, and if you don't get there in time, you or someone else may get hurt. Find a friend to run with.. i'm sure one of the other poolees in your RSS would love to have a partner in the journey, or one of your recruiters could set something up as well.

Motivate motivate motivate in whatever way you can and at the end of the day if you can honestly say you are happy about how hard you pushed, then you have got nothing to worry about.

Dont quote me on this but..
As long as you can complete a reasonable IST i believe you wont get cycled, but keep in mind.. you'll most likely be tired as sh!t before you even start. My buddy's IST dropped DRAMATICALLY, and he enlisted in the AF, not the Marine Corps. You are more or less deprived of your average full night of sleep.. not to mention the 2+day check in when you take your first steps.

GL and keep on moving.

OVonRomer
06-09-11, 08:30 AM
I used to be horrible at running. I wasn't even able to run a quarter of a lap on a standard high school track without feeling as if I was going to get a heart attack. However, in the last year or so, I've gone out to the local park every day (which has a track twice the size of a high school track), and I've been doing 5 laps a day. In addition to that, I use a stationary bike (vigorous effort) 4 times a day, for 30 minutes per time. And I can't include the famous treadmill, which is harder than life because it's not electrical. :D

Dutch 44
06-11-11, 10:46 PM
On that subject, i suggest once anyone is comfortable with running, they avoid the treadmills and elliptical and bikes when working on your running, running on a track or road or whatever is going to be way more beneficial mentally and physically than a treadmill. One of the hardest parts of running is the mental factor, forcing your self to speed up, regulating pace, and distributing your energy, a treadmill is going to rob you of all that.

That being said elliptical and bike can be a good low impact option, i like to do one day of cardio a week in that fashion be it bike, elliptical or swim, but in no way should any of them be considered a substitute for just RUNNING.

PNW2011
06-12-11, 12:36 AM
I would also recommend swimming twice a week to give yourself some time off from running. It will strengthen your core, your shoulders, and biceps. It will also keep your body temperature cool while you improve your endurance, which is what I love about it. Not to mention it will help your swim qualification (duh).