PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter/fixed wing mechanic

LilRingo
05-22-11, 12:55 PM
Hey Marines,

What are the pros and cons comparing 61XX and 62XX? What is the daily life of each MOS? Do either of them have a better chance of being deployed on a ship? And what is the difference between those and the 60XX MOS?

Thanks for any help.

MarinesFTW
05-22-11, 03:51 PM
I am a 6217 F/A 18 powerline mechanic, aka I work on the engines. You also have airframes in the 62XX field also, both are good jobs, but powerline is really the best way to go. Chances of being on a ship all depend on your squadron, my squadron cant go on ships because our jets are to old, so I lucked out there. Your job in the 62XX isn't going to make a difference, it all depends on your unit, which really for alot of MOS's is that way. Id find out what you would rather work on, helo or fixed wing. You'll go to school and if its the same way then as it was for me, at the end of your A school you'll get to pick from a list of MOS's which may or may not include helo and fixed. We had both and I wanted to work on 18's when I joined so I picked that one. There were only 2 18 contracts and it goes who ever got first in the class picks so you want to be on top so you can get your choice. If you actualy want a detailed day pm me and ill fill you in.

LilRingo
05-22-11, 05:18 PM
Also, how long does schooling last? I forgot to ask. :)

SSgt Lamie
05-23-11, 10:00 AM
Whichever Aviation job you end up with you will possibaly have the option to deploy on a ship. I'm a 64XX avaition mechanic and have been on 2 ships so far. It's not that bad a deal because you have the opprotunity to go to several different locations around the World. Don't stress out too much about going on a boat, I had the same worries when I first enlisted and hated the idea of being on a ship for 6 months at a time but after I did it once I was doing everything possible to get on another.

Like stated before, the specific aircraft you work on will determine if you go on a ship or not.

As far as the schooling goes, it will determine on the specific aircraft and job that you do. Speak with your Recruiter and he can give you an idea of the location and time for each school.

LilRingo
05-23-11, 12:54 PM
Whichever Aviation job you end up with you will possibaly have the option to deploy on a ship. I'm a 64XX avaition mechanic and have been on 2 ships so far. It's not that bad a deal because you have the opprotunity to go to several different locations around the World. Don't stress out too much about going on a boat, I had the same worries when I first enlisted and hated the idea of being on a ship for 6 months at a time but after I did it once I was doing everything possible to get on another.

Like stated before, the specific aircraft you work on will determine if you go on a ship or not.

As far as the schooling goes, it will determine on the specific aircraft and job that you do. Speak with your Recruiter and he can give you an idea of the location and time for each school.

I actually want to be on a boat. I love the water, see the world and all that jazz. I wall definately speak to a recruiter about it though.

WXSgt
05-24-11, 05:03 AM
on a MEU were mainly 46's with some 53's and harrier's. so those aircraft o level if you want to go on a MEU. i was a 6227 which is I level for 18's and i never went on a boat, but i did have some that did go(i spent 3 years in japan so couldnt go)