PDA

View Full Version : 1st Marine division in the Korean War.

DRB
05-21-11, 10:40 AM
I recently purchased the dvd entitled "Korea the Forgotten War". The 1st Marine division really saved the day when the 24th and 25th Army divisions were being pushed south by the combined might of the Chinese and North Korean armies. The documentary states that the 1st Marine division called up alot of World War two vets who were still in reserve. A good documentary on that war with outstanding footage.

chulaivet1966
05-21-11, 10:49 AM
There are a few Korean War vets here so I'll bump this one to get you some further participation.

I knew a Chosin Reservoir vet named George Huckaby when I was 15 years old.
He told me not to join the Marines if I liked living.
I failed at his request and proud to say so.

Carry on......

radio relay
05-21-11, 11:44 AM
CW04 "Gunner" Donald P. Ivers, was my platoon commander in Vietnam, and also with 8th Comm at Lejuene, before I went to Vietnam. He had had been a machine gunner at Chosin with 7th Marines. His hands had been so badly frost bitten that they looked mangled. Th Gunner was a truly amazing Marine in many ways. An old school officer that looked after his Marines. When I was with him in vietnam, he was on his second tour. He had also been at Khe Shan, on his first tour. Additionally, he was on a first name basis with Chesty Puller, which drove the other officers crazy.

My Dad, was also in Korea, a Ranger with 82cd Airborne, for the duration of the war. He had the deepest respect for Marines.

Gunner Ivers, died last year. I'm sure he has taken his place in Heaven alongside Chesty.

http://www.directorsadvantage.net/obituary/obitpics/20100419-1494367751.jpg
http://www.jonesfh.org/new_view.php?id=53175

kenrobg30
05-22-11, 07:45 AM
The unit that were trusted most by the Marines in Korea, were the Airborne, and the Korean Marine Corps. :flag:S/F!!

FistFu68
05-22-11, 07:53 AM
:evilgrin: My Company Gunny was a Rifleman at the Chosin Frozen,He was killed on Operation Meade River in '68 that really Pi**ed Us off...He was the Best Gunny in The Whole USMC.S/F :iwo:

HST
05-22-11, 11:14 AM
My brother was a reservist, he was activated and served as a BAR man with Baker 1/7 at Chosin

kenrobg30
05-22-11, 11:46 AM
They fought their way Noth, to the Yalu, then they fought their way back. The people who were supposed to cover their flanks, didn't. They came back to 'The perimiter, at Pusan. I was one of the replacements. When we got back up to strength, we went north again. We went to Wonju, then to the Won Son resivour. Then the politicians took over. We were ordered back to the 38th parellel, and we were told to hold there. We took the old positions that the Division had used on the first trip north.

I think it was three days, that we held there, then to prove a political point, we were ordered to 'Jump Off' again, and once more we headed north. We were ordered to take back, the same ground we had taken before, and gave back to the enemy because the politicians wanted to soothe the feelings of the North Koreans, and their Chinese allies. Among the troops, we called it 'Operation YoYo. Good Marines died, to prove a politicians point. It's called the forgotten war. The government would like to forget it, but I'll keep reminding them until the day I die, Of all the good Soldiers and Marines, who died, or were mangled in one way or another, to prove a politicians point.

We, like Ray Merrill, said 'Gung Ho!' , Sempre Fidelis, Brothers and Sisters.:iwo: Ken

DRB
05-22-11, 11:47 AM
The unit that were trusted most by the Marines in Korea, were the Airborne, and the Korean Marine Corps. :flag:S/F!!

The 187th Airborne regiment performed very well. They are now part of the 101st Airborne division. My father speaks highly of the 101st in Vietnam.

kenrobg30
05-22-11, 11:53 AM
The 187th Airborne regiment performed very well. They are now part of the 101st Airborne division. My father speaks highly of the 101st in Vietnam.

Good Leadership, Great warriors.:thumbup: S/F!!