PDA

View Full Version : Career Help

Perez671
05-20-11, 01:50 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a PFC in Data school for 0651 at 29 Palms right now. I'll be graduating in a little over a month and heading out for the fleet (finally). I just wanted to ask if anyone could give me a little insight on career path choices. Stay in or get out, officer or enlisted, master guns or sgt major, or warrant officer (still not sure what they do). I know it' still kinda early to be thinking about this since I'm not even in the fleet yet, but I wanted to get a good idea of my options. That and I figured the sooner I figure it out, the more I can prepare for it and get a head start. I appreciate any insight or advice you can offer on this subject. Thanks in advance.

SSgtRSD
05-20-11, 03:12 PM
Well PFC, you are right that it is early. My best advice to you would be to concentrate on hitting the fleet and being the best Data Marine you can. At this point in your career you want to focus on really learning your MOS, getting adjusted to life in the fleet, and learning from your NCOs. Secondly, although learning about your options is not a bad deal, but you will change your mind thirty times before now and when it's time to make an actual decision. So, if you prepare by just focusing on the now, and doing the best you can now, you won't have any problems later because you will be a well rounded Marine now and not one chasing something that he is not ready for yet.

Perez671
05-21-11, 01:52 PM
Thanks Staff Sergeant. You're right, I'll just focus on my job for now, ride it out, and see how I like it.

Zulu 36
05-21-11, 04:24 PM
One thing you don't have to worry about for a while is whether you go admin (1stSgt/SgtMaj) or tech (MSgt/MGySgt). You have to wait until you make Gunnery Sergeant first, then you are required to...

Tennessee Top
05-21-11, 04:51 PM
You answered your own question...good job!

SGT7477
05-21-11, 05:48 PM
But then again if you were a MGySgt and wanted to be a SgtMajor how would you transfer over so you could be a SgtMajor of the Marine Corps? Semper Fidelis.:flag:

Zulu 36
05-21-11, 06:03 PM
But then again if you were a MGySgt and wanted to be a SgtMajor how would you transfer over so you could be a SgtMajor of the Marine Corps? Semper Fidelis.:flag:

In your case or that of Perez671? :D

SGT7477
05-21-11, 07:44 PM
In your case or that of Perez671? :D
Not for me Zulu, I read an article some time ago where a Marine who was a MasterGySgt went on to be a SgtMajor,Semper Fidelis.:D