PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on attending the Naval Academy

Tachypsychia
05-17-11, 07:46 PM
Hello Marines!

I've floated around on the forums for a while now and decided to officially join so I could get some advice.

Back in 2006 I decided I wanted to be a Marine Aviator and looked into all the programs that one could use to commission then get wings. I applied for the USNA the same year I swore in for Marines Reserve on a 6x2 contract. I got my congressional nomination and thought for sure I'd get a Letter of Assurance (LOA) from the academy, but something held up my application and I never got to complete the DODMERB.

That summer after graduation I went to MCRD Parris Island and earned the title. 4 years later, I'm in my second year attending college and have a deployment to Iraq under my belt with more time active duty than time drilling. I realize that this is something I want to do for the rest of my life, and I want to go career.

I have just one more year that I'm eligible to apply to the Naval Academy and want to try again. I feel that I present decent competitiveness for an appointment. I was hoping to get some hands on advice from Naval Academy graduate mustangs, but I understand that there might not be a ton floating around here, so any advice is appreciated.

I'm curious about my chances of getting appointed from looking at the Class of 2014's profile.

There were about 17k that applied and about 6200 with official nominations. And out of those 6200 that were truely considered 1250 were appointed. Out of the 1250, only 7 were Marines that were prior enlisted.

At first I figured it was because there weren't many Marines, either reserve or active that took advantage of the process because the restrictions are so tight (can't be married, between 17-23, ect) but it seems that 377 SECNAV nominations were handed out. This confuses me because I read that there were 170 nominations available to both active and reserve Navy and Marines, totaling 340 total possible nominations but since that number was surpassed I'm not sure what to think.

As far as my credentials go, I'm a Lance at the top of the list so I'll be picking up CPL next quarter. I have 3 CERCOMs (1 for top of class in MOS, 1 for actions in Iraq, 1 for work in the maintenance shop at the reserve center) as well as 2 Certs of Appreciation and 2 positive page 11s. I'm not sure, but from what I hear, this is an above average rap sheet for a lance. I have not had any NJPs or adverse councilings. My pro/cons are 4.5/4.5, I run a 1st class CFT, after this weekend I'll be 3rd award Expert rifleman ect. The only negative I can think of is my current PFT, which is a 2nd Class. I'm going to a secondary MOS school in August where I plan on getting a good 1st Class on the books. I've already knocked 3 solid minutes off my run time, but it's the pull ups that kill me. Regardless, I'm working on that.

As far as applying to the academy, I have to retake my SAT because my scores are over 2 years old, but my previous scores were 620/640 Math/Reading, and I'm confident that I'll score higher than that this next time.

I know it's a lot to read but I'm looking for similar stories for Marines who chose to do the same thing so I'll know where else to improve so I can be as competitive for the SECNAV nomination as well as an appointment, since I only have one more shot. There are always other options for commission but I have my heart set on the academy right now.

S/F

Tachypsychia
05-17-11, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the fast reply,

I'll be eagerly awaiting.

Tachypsychia
05-17-11, 07:51 PM
Thanks for looking into it, regardless! I have about 10 months to get my act together, and I'm not even an official candidate, yet as they don't assign them until June. I just wanted to gather as much intel early on. Fate favors the prepared.

Tachypsychia
05-17-11, 07:56 PM
I saw a thread where a Sir offered advice for those asking questions on the MCECP but I'm kind of in a different boat so I don't feel like it applies.

USNAviator
05-17-11, 09:30 PM
I saw that too. Not your situation at all. Let's see who is able to help you here.

Got your PM Dave

Just got a PM from Dave re this question. Sorry I don't know how to address you, no first name in your profile, no problem

It looks to me as if you have well above standard numbers on all fronts

You are past the point of applying for admission the the class of 2015. I believe the cut off was 3/1. Not sure how all this plays out age wise for you. Prior college packs no gear at the Academy. You'll start over again as a Plebe and have to do your 4 years, again where does that put you age wise?

You want Marine Air, seriously look into one of the enlisted commissioning programs or wait till you EAS , get a 4 year degree and apply to OCS.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's better to be informed than ignorant

Best of luck to you

Tachypsychia
05-17-11, 09:57 PM
Got your PM Dave

Just got a PM from Dave re this question. Sorry I don't know how to address you, no first name in your profile, no problem

It looks to me as if you have well above standard numbers on all fronts

You are past the point of applying for admission the the class of 2015. I believe the cut off was 3/1. Not sure how all this plays out age wise for you. Prior college packs no gear at the Academy. You'll start over again as a Plebe and have to do your 4 years, again where does that put you age wise?

You want Marine Air, seriously look into one of the enlisted commissioning programs or wait till you EAS , get a 4 year degree and apply to OCS.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's better to be informed than ignorant

Best of luck to you

Updated my profile information, sorry about that!

I contacted the Fleet Liason at the Academy and he let me know that I am ok to enter for the class of 2016, which gives roughly until January 31. 2012 to get my application complete. I turn 22 this year July 1st, which was originally a worry for me because July 1st is I-day and the cut off, but I was reassured by the Fleet Liason, who said that because I turn 23 on July 1st, I'' just make it.

I understand that I'll have to start back over, but I'm not concerned about it. I don't really feel accomplished at a university right now, as the classes have been rediculously easy and most of my professors are pretentious and most of the students are pot heads (my university is one of the highest concentrations of drug users in the US =-( ) It may just be because of my military background, but I want a little more out of my education.

Because I deployed between semesters, I have at least 4 more years of school at my current university because of my elected double major.

I understand I have guarenteed options for aviation with the PLC course as well as other commissioning programs, but the more I look into the Academy the more I like :nerd:

There is a SGT at my unit who just got accepted to OCS and finishes his degree in a few weeks, which I will always consider an option if I fail to get admitted.

Thanks for your advice!

USNAviator
05-18-11, 12:10 AM
Updated my profile information, sorry about that!

I contacted the Fleet Liason at the Academy and he let me know that I am ok to enter for the class of 2016, which gives roughly until January 31. 2012 to get my application complete. I turn 22 this year July 1st, which was originally a worry for me because July 1st is I-day and the cut off, but I was reassured by the Fleet Liason, who said that because I turn 23 on July 1st, I'' just make it.

I understand that I'll have to start back over, but I'm not concerned about it. I don't really feel accomplished at a university right now, as the classes have been rediculously easy and most of my professors are pretentious and most of the students are pot heads (my university is one of the highest concentrations of drug users in the US =-( ) It may just be because of my military background, but I want a little more out of my education.

Because I deployed between semesters, I have at least 4 more years of school at my current university because of my elected double major.

I understand I have guarenteed options for aviation with the PLC course as well as other commissioning programs, but the more I look into the Academy the more I like :nerd:

There is a SGT at my unit who just got accepted to OCS and finishes his degree in a few weeks, which I will always consider an option if I fail to get admitted.

Thanks for your advice!

Sounds as if you have a great attitude, have done your homework and I wish you good luck. There is a newly minted Academy grad on here, an O-1. I will send you his name when I find it it. Send him a PM, tell him it came from me. I'm sure a 2010 grad will be of great help to you......:thumbup:

Tachypsychia
05-18-11, 12:12 AM
Sounds as if you have a great attitude, have done your homework and I wish you good luck. There is a newly minted Academy grad on here, an O-1. I will send you his name when I find it it. Send him a PM, tell him it came from me. I'm sure a 2010 grad will be of great help to you......:thumbup:

Thanks for your help! I've been hard pressed to find good resources for my situation, and that would help a ton!

Tachypsychia
05-23-11, 10:46 PM
I've started my official candidate process as I just received the information today. I contacted my unit regarding my intentions and they'll refer me to the CO over the next month. Lot of essays to write! Crossing my fingers for a SECNAV and Letter of Assurance. Not sure what other information I can ask for, as most is answered for me but any additional advice is always appreciated.