PDA

View Full Version : Holy God!!! The Marine Corps FINALLY gets it right!!!

AlohaMarine
05-13-11, 03:14 PM
This is unbelievable. Since many of you are old, retired Marines let me introduce you to one of the Corps' newest MarAdmins.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/NewMARADMINupdatingreenlistmentstandardsbringsbigc hanges.aspx

MARADMIN 273/11 states, in a nutshell, that the Corps is no longer going to reenlist Marines solely on the first to volunteer but on a merit based system.

You all know my beef with SNCOs. It seems almost 70% of the Corps' lifers have the same story.

-Joined the Corps with no education, nothing to their name, just a straight loser out of high school.

-Were ****bags as first termers. 3rd class PFT, marksman on the range, belligerent, rude.

-Got some fat ass ugly dependosaurus woman pregnant and racked up a ton of debt with a brand new car and a STAR Card.

-Had to Reenlist because they would never be able to get on their feet if they got out.

I have not only seen SNCOs like this, but my peers as well. I know a Corporal who fits all these descriptions so when July 2010 rolled around he had to sign on the dotted line for 4 more. This Marine is a piece of **** but because he was the first one to stand up and say "I'll reenlist", because he has no other options, he gets the boatspace.

On the other hand, I have a Marine who was considering reenlistment but waited merely ONE MONTH and the spot was gone. He has a 4.8/4.8 pro/con average, 300 PFT, is exceptional at his job and his motivation, and is one of the best Marines I have ever met in my entire life. He wants to, but can't reenlist and is EASing in a few months because ******* #1 took his boatspace.

How is that right? We all know the Marine Corps has the best officers in the military because they all have to pass career retention boards and if you get passed up twice for a promotion, you're done.

Why is the enlisted side any different? Stop letting the low lifes who have to reenlist because they have no other options stay in just because they are the first to raise their right hand.

I am ****ing impressed, hopefully this implementation will work as intended and not get sidetracked. For example, if a Tier 1 reenlistee turns in an application in November he should boot out a Tier 4 Marine even if he tried to reenlist in July when the boatspaces came out.

The next step is removing the 60 point promotion incentive for cutting scores for Cpl and Sergeant.

Good job General Amos. Hopefully the new Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps had some influence in this too.

Old Marine
05-13-11, 03:56 PM
Why in the hell are you worried about it. Didn't you say you were EAS last monday. Figured you would be out demonstrating with the rest of the frat kids by now.

Kegler300
05-13-11, 04:55 PM
Maybe 10% of SNCO's fit your description; certainly not 70%. But I do agree that the merit system is certainly better than the first come, first served system.

YLDNDN6
05-13-11, 06:08 PM
DEPENDOSAURUS!!! Freakin hillarious!

Zulu 36
05-13-11, 06:41 PM
DEPENDOSAURUS!!! Freakin hillarious!

Yeah. Doesn't take much imagination on that. :D

Tennessee Top
05-13-11, 11:25 PM
Aren't you a civilian by now?

What the hell does it matter to you how the Corps retains people anyway when all you could think about was getting out?

YourPhoneIsMine
05-14-11, 06:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FmzzC.jpg

LandsNGrooves
05-14-11, 10:24 AM
Aren't you a civilian by now?

What the hell does it matter to you how the Corps retains people anyway when all you could think about was getting out?

Why are you attacking him? He's soon getting out, and is still joyed about the MC improving it's policy,and I think this is news we can all agree is good .

Quinbo
05-14-11, 11:05 AM
The Corps did the same thing in I wanna say 92. It was a downsizing thing. They actually had re-enlistment selection boards for 1st termers.

joseywales
05-14-11, 12:47 PM
talk about a pot calling a kettle black. aloha is one of the very worst leadership examples found in the modern world, got out last week, now all he thinks about is the Corps? I ain't buying it

Tennessee Top
05-14-11, 01:09 PM
Why are you attacking him? He's soon getting out, and is still joyed about the MC improving it's policy,and I think this is news we can all agree is good .

Just find it curious somebody with a big-time short-timer's attitude feels the need to get on here and publish the USMC's latest reenlistment policy. What's the point and what does it matter to them since they are getting out?

He's not joyed about the new policy; his point was to bash SNCO's and lifers...which I happen to be one of them. So, I took exception to it. I never HAD to reenlist; I did it multiple times because I preferred being a Marine SNCO over a civilian puke and never regretted it (eventhough my career cost me my marriage).

I respect the OP's rank, appreciate his service to our country and Corps, and wish him all the best in his next life (as a civilian). Can care less about his attitude toward SNCO's and lifers. He'll never be either.

ggyoung
05-14-11, 01:15 PM
A-M I don't think you know a hole in a bord from your own. This here Marine Corps has always had it right. If not we would not be here now. Times change and the Marine Corps changes with it. We may not like it but we change with it.

joseywales
05-14-11, 01:24 PM
He's not being "attacked" hes being fairly criticized for coming down hard on the Corps since he joined the boards in June of 2010.
Ya gotta go back and read Alohas posts for the true anti-Corps flavor

Quinbo
05-14-11, 01:32 PM
He's not being "attacked" hes being fairly criticized for coming down hard on the Corps since he joined the boards in June of 2010.

Mr. Haskins,
Hang around a while and read deeper. Aloha has been around here since he was a poolee under a different name. He joined the Corps contract infantry then broke his dick and was put in supply. Now he's a ninja supply pogue leading you to believe that he is a grunt.

joseywales
05-14-11, 01:37 PM
take a look at his prior posts, bulky

joseywales
05-14-11, 01:46 PM
HERE'S A THREAD STARTED BY ALOHA:::
NICE ATTITUDE TOWARD HIS OWN SUBORDINATES
yeah, it sounds all nice and tough but it shows he hated his own Marines.

Two new PFCs. Both are 25lbs overweight. Zero pullups. One had hash marks on his alphas and the other doesn't know his drill instructor's names. I still know my DIs names. I know DIs from other companies. I will never forget them. I won't forget their faces. Ever. I promise you.

To any boot PFCs and LCpls reading this who haven't hit the fleet yet. Here's some advice for when you do.

I'm not your friend. See those ribbons? See my stripes? I've been places. I've done my time. I don't ever want to speak to you. Sure, you might be cool. But I'm not interested in making friends. If youre my friend you won't listen to me. And if you don't listen to me, one of my real friends might die.

In fact, if you fall on your face right in front of me, you better roll out of the way because I won't hesitate to step on you. Thats what I think of you. If you don't like it, the Chaplain gets in on Monday morning.

Don't bring 15 seabags and then look at me when I stand by the duty vehicle at the airport with some "Can you help me out?" eyes. **** you. Buy a bag with wheels, or leave some of your bull**** at home. I carried all my bags....all over the planet, with a rifle, wearing a flak jacket and a helmet. What would you do if I wasn't here? What if your bags weren't bags? What if they were LCpl Idiot with a shrapnel wound? Figure it out.

If you check in on the weekend, and we ask you if your alphas are good, you need to admit that **** right there. Don't let us come by your room Sunday afternoon and realize you're missing a tie, or chevrons, or you have a woman's barracks cover. (Unless you of course are a female, in which case you're in the wrong ****ing unit)

If you are a female and you see "V" anywhere in your unit code. You need to let someone know. You will not like it when you show up, and you'll cry. (I've seen it happen. We males look for any excuse to point you out as weak. You just gave us ammo.)

Parade rest. I don't care. Really. I don't even care if you call me by my rank. ****, you can call me by my first name if you figure it out. But remember, the Lieutenant needs a boot to be rear party for CAX in 29 palms...and you just volunteered.

I understand its Hawaii. I understand the Pro Bowl is going on "right over there". When we drive by the stadium don't look at me and ask stupid ****ing questions. Afghanistan is going on too. And you'll be there way before you ever see another pro bowl. +1 for 29 Palms.

I've never been so scared I forgot what city I was from, but apparently that happens to boots alot. I like that I scare you that much. In fact, its ****ing awesome. But all of you always say you're not scared. If I don't scare you, then why are you so ****ing stupid?

Don't show up out of the blue at 2100 on a Sunday and act like we've got a room for you. Right now you're Jesus and we're the innkeeper, but there's no ****ing shining star in the sky pointing down to where you are spending the night. Don't complain.

Don't tell me you can do 20 pullups, and 3 days later you do 4. I know you didn't lose 16 pullups in 10 days of leave, and you just attained a "liar" status. You will never lose that. Ever.

Thats all I got right now.

joseywales
05-14-11, 01:47 PM
This is leadership

Zulu 36
05-14-11, 01:47 PM
Mr. Haskins,
Hang around a while and read deeper. Aloha has been around here since he was a poolee under a different name. He joined the Corps contract infantry then broke his dick and was put in supply. Now he's a ninja supply pogue leading you to believe that he is a grunt.

Bulkyker beat me to this post.

Aloha was signed under an infantry contract, but hurt a leg really bad at the end of boot camp. It didn't re-hab well enough to stay infantry, so the Corps put him in supply. He's been bitter ever since.

He had to take a vacation from here because of his past attitude and was graciously allowed to re-register under a new screen name. Anyone who has been a regular on this site since 2006 knew immediately who Aloha was.

joseywales
05-14-11, 01:49 PM
the issue is not who he is, we know who he is, the issue is that someone told tenn top that he should not be be coming down on aloha, and i'm saying that the top has a point

Lisa 23
05-14-11, 02:04 PM
Bulkyker beat me to this post.

Aloha was signed under an infantry contract, but hurt a leg really bad at the end of boot camp. It didn't re-hab well enough to stay infantry, so the Corps put him in supply. He's been bitter ever since.

He had to take a vacation from here because of his past attitude and was graciously allowed to re-register under a new screen name. Anyone who has been a regular on this site since 2006 knew immediately who Aloha was.

I believe this was his other user name.......someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Achped
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3524844&pp=25

joseywales
05-14-11, 02:09 PM
here's what it boils down to. You either like Aloha or you do not. Like anything else in life. And it is okay to do either. But to say he does nothing to foster the attitude of dislike for him due to his bashing the Corps? nope, cannot say that in good conscience.
Tenn Top had a point, was my main point

AlohaMarine
05-14-11, 02:14 PM
Three points: <br />
<br />
1.) Most of you are civilians and still talk about the Corps, why am I any different? We all have the same RE code, the same discharge type, and for some of us, the same rank. <br />
<br />
2.)...

AlohaMarine
05-14-11, 02:23 PM
And, why don't we discuss what this thread is about? Theres a 40,000 post thread in the Hooch that was originally started because so many people wanted to humiliate/degrade/insult/offend me. Its more fun over there because you dont have to see so many asterisks.

Semper Fi!

LandsNGrooves
05-15-11, 05:54 PM

This thread dosent have any to do with any previous. This person, no matter what he has posted in the past, has made it to the MC's greatest rank, which either means he did something very right, or the Corps is doing something wrong. It may be some ratio of both of those, who knows.

I argue that those most critical of a organization are the ones who wish to see the most improvement .Anybody whos glass half full isnt looking on how to improve things, they are complacent .You'll never get good idea's out of a robotic ass kissing yes-man who's to scared to pipe up for fear of crossing the wrong person. People like SNM are about 50% ****bag, 50% breath of fresh air. well never progess unless we listen to 100% of these people, and only throw out the ideas that wont work. The people will leave on their own.

Old Marine
05-15-11, 06:16 PM
I believe this was his other user name.......someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Achped
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3524844&pp=25

BINGO:evilgrin:

Causby
05-15-11, 07:03 PM
Just my 2 cents.... AlohaMarine just seems immature based on the thread that was posted about his advice to "Boots". Why is it that pogues act so hard. Its a good thing he was in Supply. If he was a grunt and talking to those young Marines like that...He might had found a 3 round burst in his back. And to Tenn Top, I don't like your comment about being a "civilian puke". I kick myself in the ass everyday for getting out. This month would be the beginning of my 18th year. But I got out because I had a daughter on the way and through my many deployments I saw plenty of Marines come back to a divorce and not getting to see their children grow up. My family was more important.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-16-11, 12:26 AM
1: Alohaped.....I've been where you are. Sorta, anyway. Heck, I got passed over TWICE for SSgt. Wasn't a 'bag, either. Couldn't deploy and wasn't going to put my brain damaged daughter in some sort of 'home' so I could. But I saw plenty of SNCO's in 2000-2001 who were, in fact, worthless crapbags who couldn't lead a patrol out of the head with a maglite and a GPS. And yeah...I was DAVMN bitter about it....for awhile.

But ya know...time heals. I once vowed to never, ever, darken the military doorstep again...and ended up going Air Guard and retiring. Still a beat up broken down ole E-5, but "I got mine", finally. And the 'Guard really wasn't much better and in some ways...worse. But I kept my eyes on the prize. (Retirement).

Anyway....I think this new policy is a GOOD thing. But...we shall see.

And I'm now a civilian puke. 100 percent. Sorta...LOL. Still have a short haircut. Can't stand it long. Look like a retired lifer. Wish I didn't have to work!

For those who are dogpiling, unless you left the Corps on truly 'moto' terms, Alohaped sounds much like many of the Marines I served with who got out, and their first year or so was just spent being 'anti-Marine'. While I don't like it much either....I do understand it.

Alohaped...I kill me.

Tennessee Top
05-16-11, 12:29 AM
And to Tenn Top, I don't like your comment about being a "civilian puke". I kick myself in the ass everyday for getting out. This month would be the beginning of my 18th year. But I got out because I had a daughter on the way and through my many deployments I saw plenty of Marines come back to a divorce and not getting to see their children grow up. My family was more important.

Don't care if you didn't like it...your perogative. I am one of those Marines who came back to a divorce (she split with Jody). Occupational hazard...her loss.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-16-11, 12:43 AM
Oh...one last bit....everytime I read that rant, I laugh my azz off.

Sounds just like any other platoon sergeant I've ever known. For the most part. While I might have diverged from some of what's said.....I sure as hevll remember being treated EXACTLY like that when I checked in to my first 'grunt' unit, and likely as not...not THAT well LOL.

I got the Platoon Sergeant job midway through a Med float, (the other guy was an oaf/fatbody who spent his time 'working out' but really scarfing MRE's in the back of a MRC-138) and luckily, had already been with my platoon over a year. However, as soon as we returned, I got a crap ton of brand new 'boots', my Gunny went to SNCO academy, the Lt PCS'd....and I was 'it'.

What, ya'll think I got that 'Malignant Leprechaun' moniker because I was a swell guy?

Come on....

Causby
05-16-11, 09:42 AM
Don't care if you didn't like it...your perogative. I am one of those Marines who came back to a divorce (she split with Jody). Occupational hazard...her loss.

I see why your a bitter old lifer.

joseywales
05-16-11, 09:44 AM
I see why your a bitter young boot

Vandrel
05-16-11, 10:11 AM
This thread is just f'n awsome, thank you for allowing me to enjoy this magnanimous Marine Corps day.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 12:16 PM
You know what, it doesn't matter what the Marine Corps got right or got wrong, its irrelevant to me.

That's because I'm the biggest, most-badass Marine that ever lived, because I'm a Crash Crew bastard.

That's right, because I'm better.

Conch
05-16-11, 02:38 PM
:thumbup:

CrockettJW
05-16-11, 02:59 PM
HERE'S A THREAD STARTED BY ALOHA:::
NICE ATTITUDE TOWARD HIS OWN SUBORDINATES
yeah, it sounds all nice and tough but it shows he hated his own Marines.

Two new PFCs. Both are 25lbs overweight. Zero pullups. One had hash marks on his alphas and the other doesn't know his drill instructor's names. I still know my DIs names. I know DIs from other companies. I will never forget them. I won't forget their faces. Ever. I promise you.

To any boot PFCs and LCpls reading this who haven't hit the fleet yet. Here's some advice for when you do.

I'm not your friend. See those ribbons? See my stripes? I've been places. I've done my time. I don't ever want to speak to you. Sure, you might be cool. But I'm not interested in making friends. If youre my friend you won't listen to me. And if you don't listen to me, one of my real friends might die.

In fact, if you fall on your face right in front of me, you better roll out of the way because I won't hesitate to step on you. Thats what I think of you. If you don't like it, the Chaplain gets in on Monday morning.

Don't bring 15 seabags and then look at me when I stand by the duty vehicle at the airport with some "Can you help me out?" eyes. **** you. Buy a bag with wheels, or leave some of your bull**** at home. I carried all my bags....all over the planet, with a rifle, wearing a flak jacket and a helmet. What would you do if I wasn't here? What if your bags weren't bags? What if they were LCpl Idiot with a shrapnel wound? Figure it out.

If you check in on the weekend, and we ask you if your alphas are good, you need to admit that **** right there. Don't let us come by your room Sunday afternoon and realize you're missing a tie, or chevrons, or you have a woman's barracks cover. (Unless you of course are a female, in which case you're in the wrong ****ing unit)

If you are a female and you see "V" anywhere in your unit code. You need to let someone know. You will not like it when you show up, and you'll cry. (I've seen it happen. We males look for any excuse to point you out as weak. You just gave us ammo.)

Parade rest. I don't care. Really. I don't even care if you call me by my rank. ****, you can call me by my first name if you figure it out. But remember, the Lieutenant needs a boot to be rear party for CAX in 29 palms...and you just volunteered.

I understand its Hawaii. I understand the Pro Bowl is going on "right over there". When we drive by the stadium don't look at me and ask stupid ****ing questions. Afghanistan is going on too. And you'll be there way before you ever see another pro bowl. +1 for 29 Palms.

I've never been so scared I forgot what city I was from, but apparently that happens to boots alot. I like that I scare you that much. In fact, its ****ing awesome. But all of you always say you're not scared. If I don't scare you, then why are you so ****ing stupid?

Don't show up out of the blue at 2100 on a Sunday and act like we've got a room for you. Right now you're Jesus and we're the innkeeper, but there's no ****ing shining star in the sky pointing down to where you are spending the night. Don't complain.

Don't tell me you can do 20 pullups, and 3 days later you do 4. I know you didn't lose 16 pullups in 10 days of leave, and you just attained a "liar" status. You will never lose that. Ever.

Thats all I got right now.

I hate people like this, especially, "Don't show up out of the blue at 2100 on a Sunday and act like we've got a room for you." How many times have you shown up somewhere that you had no control over when you show up?

I also don't like the "I'm not your friend" and "I don't care attitude."

Burke7051
05-16-11, 03:24 PM
I hate people like this, especially, "Don't show up out of the blue at 2100 on a Sunday and act like we've got a room for you." How many times have you shown up somewhere that you had no control over when you show up?

I also don't like the "I'm not your friend" and "I don't care attitude."

At least Aloha was speaking his mind. I agree with him. Oh well I give a dam if you all hate me too, meh. I think I've been sober too dam long.

Causby
05-16-11, 04:03 PM
I see why your a bitter young boot

Who are you calling boot? I was out for two years before your boot ass even went in.

Quinbo
05-16-11, 04:11 PM
All this bootness is fodder for the war room if you dare venture there.

Causby
05-16-11, 04:24 PM
All this bootness is fodder for the war room if you dare venture there. Just too many tough ass pogues for me. That being said I'll venture there.

CrockettJW
05-16-11, 07:05 PM
At least Aloha was speaking his mind. I agree with him. Oh well I give a dam if you all hate me too, meh. I think I've been sober too dam long.

Yeah, I would vent my frustrations on the old salts and not on the newbies.

It's not a crime to be new somewhere and no matter how long I've been in or how many places I've been, every time I show up somewhere, people act like I'm the new guy and not worth keeping informed.

It's the same old thing everywhere. People are happy to go on and on about how much you missed and how everything cool that could happen has already happened - and most of it was last week/month. But tell you where the duck and cover bunkers are or how to call home for free? No.

I think that's all wrong. I believe in esprit de corps and helping one another out. Those ribbons on your chest and stripes on your sleeve mean you've been somewhere and seen something (hopefully), not that you should be a d*ck about it. When I see it, I call people out on it, too.

Causby
05-16-11, 08:32 PM
It's not a crime to be new somewhere and no matter how long I've been in or how many places I've been, every time I show up somewhere, people act like I'm the new guy and not worth keeping informed.

It's the same old thing everywhere. People are happy to go on and on about how much you missed and how everything cool that could happen has already happened - and most of it was last week/month. But tell you where the duck and cover bunkers are or how to call home for free? No.

I think that's all wrong. I believe in esprit de corps and helping one another out. Those ribbons on your chest and stripes on your sleeve mean you've been somewhere and seen something (hopefully), not that you should be a d*ck about it. When I see it, I call people out on it, too.[/quote]

Nuff said:thumbup:

Tookie22
05-16-11, 09:27 PM
Back to topic people will get shafted either way. A Marine who Fs up during the first yr now wont be able to reenlist even though he made 1 mistake. Wont make a difference that you average 4.5 or 4.6 anyone with brass or rockers see a honest mistake and now are labeled a sh*tbag. The best thing about the Corps is that everything looks great on paper but will it actually work is to be proven

doc h fmf
05-16-11, 10:17 PM
I LOVED THE MARINE CORPS, I LEARNED ALOT ABOUT DISASPLINE AND COMMONSENSE, I RAN INTO A FEW PEOPLE WHO DIDNT LIKE CORPSMAN BUT ONCE I MADE GOOD AND PROVED MY SELF WORTHY I HAD A HELL OF A GREAT TIME AND ENJOYED MYSELF. WHAT REALLY MADE MY TOUR WAS MEETING CMOH JAMES LIVINGSTON HIS WAS A COL, WHEN I MET HIM IN 1985. HE WAS A REAL DOWN TO EARTH PERSON I WAS MOTIVATED AFTER THAT AND HAD A GREAT 5yrs with 3/8

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

AlohaMarine
05-16-11, 10:20 PM
The best thing about the Corps is that everything looks great on paper but will it actually work is to be proven

I agree. I have seen some pretty squared away NCOs who get their dicks hard from 0500 PT, motivation, being squared away, and doing their job. However more than just a few have gotten a single DUI as a PFC and any chances of reenlistment has been squashed.

I'm not taking anything away from a DUI. Its really ****ing stupid, and if you get a DUI you should be hung out to dry. But if you got a DUI in your first 6 months, why should that hold you back from reenlisting at your 4 year mark? Especially when SNCOs get DUIs like its cool? In '08 we had a SSgt who got arrested for doing 180MPH on his motorcycle...while drunk.

He's a GySgt now.

How is he any different than that LCpl who ****ed up, turned his career around and is now squared away? He's not, he's just a lifer so he's good to go.

So what happens is you have all these ****ing losers/dorks/idiots/morons/****bags who stay under the radar and hibernate in the barracks for 4 years. They're complete sandbaggers who have NEVER performed satisfactorily, their middle name is "Mediocre" but since they've never gotten in trouble they've taken that other Marine's boatspace....

I hope this puts an end to that, and anyone who thinks I'm just spouting off nonsense hasn't been in the Corps for the past 10 years.

Edit: I say this as someone who has never gotten a Page11, NJP, or even an adverse counselling so don't act like I'm butt hurt.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 10:56 PM
The usual complete BS :)
I disagree. It sounds pretty legitimate to me.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 10:58 PM
Figured it would.

Yup. See the Corps has changed a lot since some of the Marines on this site were Active Duty way back in the day. It's actually more modernized now. :marine:

Burke7051
05-16-11, 11:00 PM
I'm very glad to see that. Makes me feel a lot better. The caliber of Marines has even improved, I see. LOL

Yeah we are better nowadays. Especially crash crew guys like me.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 11:03 PM
I can imagine. I saw that you said you are the best Marine. I always thought Aloha was, no offense.

Nope, I am.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 11:08 PM
Is Aloha in there somewhere, then? He'll be very disappointed.

I could care less. I'm the best. I gave 6 years to the Corps. Six of the best dam years of my life. I deserve some god-dam respect from people. I get treated like dirt by some of the people here in Phoenix when they find out I'm a Marine. F**k them.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 11:12 PM
f them is right. Any Marine deserves respect. If they don't see it that way, it's more of a reflection on them. I knew a lot of guys who were in for 6 or for 10.
See the PM I sent you about another topic.

I got it. I'm still the best f**king Marine that ever walked though.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 11:20 PM
I hear you, Derek....six years is a long time. I did four, that makes me a boot.

Well, if you disregard the years you and I were in. The centuries rather.

Well, I wouldn't say centuries. I guess your still young.

AlohaMarine
05-16-11, 11:22 PM
Dave, he makes a point.

Once a Marine always a Marine, sure. But even the Corps from 1995 is not the same as it is today.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 11:23 PM
And I'm still the best Marine that walked.

AlohaMarine
05-16-11, 11:23 PM
I'm going to make it a point to put a caveat at the end of every thread I make.

*If you EAS'd before Reagan was President, do not reply. If you EAS'd before Sept 11, 2001, you may reply but don't talk about **** you know nothing about.

AlohaMarine
05-16-11, 11:26 PM
Sure thing Dave.

Did I tell you I'm becoming a reservist? I'm excited.

YourPhoneIsMine
05-16-11, 11:26 PM
I agree. I have seen some pretty squared away NCOs who get their dicks hard from 0500 PT, motivation, being squared away, and doing their job. However more than just a few have gotten a single DUI as a PFC and any chances of reenlistment has been squashed.

I'm not taking anything away from a DUI. Its really ****ing stupid, and if you get a DUI you should be hung out to dry. But if you got a DUI in your first 6 months, why should that hold you back from reenlisting at your 4 year mark? Especially when SNCOs get DUIs like its cool? In '08 we had a SSgt who got arrested for doing 180MPH on his motorcycle...while drunk.

He's a GySgt now.

How is he any different than that LCpl who ****ed up, turned his career around and is now squared away? He's not, he's just a lifer so he's good to go.

So what happens is you have all these ****ing losers/dorks/idiots/morons/****bags who stay under the radar and hibernate in the barracks for 4 years. They're complete sandbaggers who have NEVER performed satisfactorily, their middle name is "Mediocre" but since they've never gotten in trouble they've taken that other Marine's boatspace....

I hope this puts an end to that, and anyone who thinks I'm just spouting off nonsense hasn't been in the Corps for the past 10 years.

Edit: I say this as someone who has never gotten a Page11, NJP, or even an adverse counselling so don't act like I'm butt hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZxKgoiX4Jw

Burke7051
05-16-11, 11:28 PM
Sure thing Dave.

:thumbup:

AlohaMarine
05-16-11, 11:30 PM
Yeah bro. They said I will be a Staff Sergeant as soon as I sign on the dotted line.

Edit: Dave, My terminal date was last Friday.

TheReservist
05-16-11, 11:31 PM
Sure thing Dave.

Don't sign a contract going into the reserves, do it first on your IRR time and check out the unit.

AlohaMarine
05-16-11, 11:32 PM
Because it is Dave, you'd know if you had been in this millenium.

Check out my new rank structure ;)
http://www.aviationexplorer.com/screenshots/nco_insignia.gif

CrockettJW
05-16-11, 11:33 PM
I know that. It changes all the time, for sure. And '95 is relatively recently.

That's one reason a lot of people get out. When I was in, a lot of guys did 6 or even 10, then got out. Why? Too many changes in the Corps that were big changes, and they didn't like it, so they got out.

I also think a lot of guys got out because of that attitude that was on this thread earlier. If you're a good Marine, do your job well, and stay out of trouble, people still teat you like you're a criminal looking for a crime to commit.

When I was in, I was always going somewhere or coming back from somewhere and I was always having to check out and check in with the career planner. Every time I was there, I'd ask him about other opportunities. Every time, he'd tell me he couldn't do anything for me.

When it came time for me to get out, this guy calls me into his office and for the first time ever, talks to me like I'm a human being, not because he wanted to help me, but because I could help him. He started telling me about all these opportunities he could find me, but only if I re-enlisted. I think that was one of the other problems with the Corps, at least while I was in.

I also think units themselves can be pretty crappy. Holy crap, every time I went down to S-1 for something, it was like I was going to the principal's office. And, if you actually were in trouble, forget it.

AlohaMarine
05-16-11, 11:35 PM
Aloha, you just made Sgt and now they will promote you again as part of that reserve package????

Ah, a different branch, following in my footsteps

Yeah, E5 still.

I'm more looking forward to the human being treatment and my ability to be like "Are you ****ing serious" when a Tech Sgt tries to tell me to pick up leaves.

AlohaMarine
05-16-11, 11:36 PM
Yeah, completely relevant to 90% of the posts I make on this forum too.

I think I may tone down the Corps hating a bit starting now. As pretty soon I will be breaking my own rules. I'm not in anymore, how should I know whats going on?

YourPhoneIsMine
05-16-11, 11:39 PM
Sounds like a good deal.

Fatty, I mean Your Phone, that video may not be representative of the whole Corps, or is it? How can you tell if it's universal within the Corps?

It's a common opinion. Whether or not it's representative of the Corps as a whole is up for debate.

CrockettJW
05-16-11, 11:41 PM
I like that new signature, it was my idea, that's probably why

Just pick up the leaves.....you can do it silently. I raked leaves at Camp Lejeune for a year, before you were born. So you can do it too. LOL

So wait a minute, are you going from E-5 to E-6 after all? You said "yeah, E-5"

Is that where the leaves went? When I got there, it was nothing but dirt, so we raked that into nice, straight lines.

I think he's saying he's going to be a staff sergeant (Air Force variety), which is an E-5.

YourPhoneIsMine
05-16-11, 11:45 PM
Just pick up the leaves.....you can do it silently.

What reason is there for a sergeant to be picking up leaves? If he screwed up in some way there are more professional ways to deal with it. If he didn't screw up then let him go back to doing his job instead of wasting time on something fairly meaningless in a time of war.

Burke7051
05-16-11, 11:46 PM
I should have went into the Reserves....... bah

YourPhoneIsMine
05-16-11, 11:54 PM
Ah, I understand. I thought you meant his situation, not yours.

That being said, I think part of the problem with the system is that people don't question stupid orders. If something is stupid it should be pointed out. The mission and the Corps is more important than the feelings of a single NCO or SNCO so if he's blatantly wrong then he needs to be informed as such for the good of the mission/unit/Corps.

I'm not saying that every order should be questioned or that orders should be questioned because someone doesn't want to do them but if it's a seriously stupid order that everyone can see is going to be detrimental to mission accomplishment then it would be criminal not to say something.

YourPhoneIsMine
05-17-11, 12:04 AM
Understandable. I don't think anyone should physically resist arrest; if the cop is in the wrong then make sure he gets reamed later in court. Though because of that I find it ridiculous that certain areas are making it illegal to record a police officer arresting someone. Every interaction between police and the public should be on record for review if necessary, especially an arrest.

If someone orders me to pick up leaves I'll pick up leaves. But if someone orders me to pick up leaves when I'm in the middle of a mission critical task (even though it's just in a training environment) then I feel it necessary to at least point out the fact that my time could be better spent finishing what I was doing. I will then pick up the leaves as ordered but if I'm later asked why a number of other things got ****ed up because I didn't finish my initial job in time then I sure as hell won't cover the ass of the dumb**** that wasted my time.

Now if I'm told to pick up leaves in a severe lightning storm next to a tall metal pole or pick up leaves out of the road in the middle of rush hour traffic, then yes I'm going to challenge that. Let them push the ninja punch, the sir will soon know that sgt/ssgt/gysgt is a moron.

YourPhoneIsMine
05-17-11, 12:08 AM
It's all a matter of degree. If there is a firefight going on and twenty people are engaging the enemy and winning, and someone yells out, fall back fall back and leave the wounded, or something really stupid, then that is a different story, but that is an extreme example.
For the most part we are confronted with perhaps petty orders etc in these other examples, and unless you are a martyr it is better to suck it up and look into it later rather than to push it.

Pointing out the stupid order then and there means: You lose

I can't comment on the combat related orders because I've never been there.

However if there's a firefight and someone orders me to put down my weapon and rake leaves I don't think it would be out line to smack him in the face with a brick. :p

wildwoman73
05-17-11, 12:30 AM
The Corps did the same thing in I wanna say 92. It was a downsizing thing. They actually had re-enlistment selection boards for 1st termers.
That's what it sounds like to me. You know MIRADMINS may not always make sense to you. But they make perfect sense to logistics/head shed higher ups.