PDA

View Full Version : Host backs up talk, ships Marines to Disney World

thedrifter
10-18-03, 01:48 PM
Host backs up talk, ships Marines to Disney World
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 20031016193613
Story by Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(October 3, 2003) -- Call it the ultimate rest and relaxation for war-weary Marines - complete with Mickey Mouse ears.

Camp Pendleton Marines, along with Marines from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar and Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, hopped a plane to Orlando, Fla., last weekend for five free days at Walt Disney World, courtesy of "The Wayne Brady Show."

Brady, a daytime talk-show host based in Los Angeles, announced during a live airing of his show Oct. 1 he and Disney were picking up the tab to treat the Marines to the vacation. One hundred sixty-seven Marines and family members received passes to any of Walt Disney World's six theme parks and a free stay for four nights at their All-Star Sports Resort.

"You guys lay your lives on the line for us all the time, and I just feel that you don't necessarily get all of the appreciation that you could," Brady explained. "So to be in a position where Disney says 'Hey Wayne, what do you want to do?' and I am in the position to say 'Can I fly out all these troops to Disney to have a good time for a week or so?' They say 'yes,' that feels incredible."

The military family is nothing new to Brady. His father served 24 years in the U.S. Army.

Marines were astounded at Brady's offer to enjoy the 30,000-acre park - actually several theme parks in one.

"When I first heard we were going out to Orlando, I thought it was an opportunity of a lifetime. There is no way me and my wife could have come out here (otherwise)," said Cpl. Christopher A. Musel, assigned to Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Musel was selected for the trip because of his outstanding service as Marine of the Quarter. "It's definitely an experience," he said.

Producers at "The Wayne Brady Show" toyed with the idea of sending a plane loaded with people on a free vacation, but couldn't settle on whom exactly they should bring.

"Months ago, we decided we wanted to send a plane full of people to Walt Disney World with Wayne and we didn't know ... how we were going to do it," said Erin Callahan, the show's supervising producer. "Everybody at Disney and at 'The Wayne Brady Show' wanted people to go who really deserved to go, and maybe wouldn't have otherwise gone if it weren't for us helping them out.

"For some reason none of us thought about troops or Marines. We just could not come up with a good idea for whom to send on this flight," Callahan said after a day of practicing for the live show, on location, outside Epcot Park, which offers parkgoers a chance to immerse themselves in cultures from around the world.

The idea to invite Marines came to Callahan at a wedding. She heard a toast to a Camp Pendleton Marine that nearly brought her to tears.

During the trip, the Marines attended a second taping of Brady's show. The episode was a milestone for the show, marking the first time it had broadcast live in its two seasons. The show featured a video presentation of the Marines' stay at Disney World.

Still, the trip was a bigger milestone for the Marines. It was red-carpet treatment the whole way.

"Me and my wife, we couldn't ask for anything better," Musel said before the live taping. "We got treated like kings and queens on the way here and the whole time we've been here."

Staff Sgt. Peter Morales, a member of 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, brought his wife and three children along with him. He said he enjoyed the chance to let his kids have a good time - whether it be exploring a world of royalty and castles at Magic Kingdom or riding the Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster at Disney-MGM Studios.

"The kids are jumping around, enjoying themselves," he said. "This is their first time on the East Coast, so this is a little break for them."

"Everybody at work is pretty jealous of me because I got to come here for free," said Gunnery Sgt. Rod J. Harrington, assigned to 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion, whose favorite attraction was Dinosaur, a ride through a bygone era brought to life by robotic dinosaurs large and small. "I've never asked for anything for my service, but I couldn't let this pass. It not only benefits me, but I think it benefits my family the most. I got to see the bigger picture of how America is supporting the troops, and this is just icing on the cake here."

E-mail Lance Cpl. Valliere at:ValliereSB@pendleton.usmc.mil.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/1E9E3272C812150285256DC10081A8EB?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: