PDA

View Full Version : Springs in Clips

Cpl Heglar
05-12-11, 02:12 PM
Does keeping my clips half loaded hurt the springs over time?

03Mike
05-12-11, 02:34 PM
Always cycle your loaded / unloaded magazines - they shouldn't spend all their time loaded with springs compressed. Generates too many mis-feeds.

Cpl Heglar
05-12-11, 02:38 PM
Thanks Mike

Zulu 36
05-12-11, 04:32 PM
It depends on the magazine and the manufacturer.

I intentionally kept a Sig-Sauer P-228 magazine (9mm, 13-shot) fully loaded for ten-years. I also kept an HK-91 magazine (7.62mm, 20-rounds) fully loaded for the same time frame. They have not malfunctioned since I started shooting them again. But then, you get quality when you pay for Sig-Sauer and Heckler and Koch.

For most modern magazines, keeping it half-loaded shouldn't put an undue strain on the follower spring. Metallurgy has come a long way.

That said, I still wouldn't keep a military issue M-16 or M-9 magazine even partially loaded for that long. Just don't trust the lowest bidder.

LandsNGrooves
05-14-11, 10:38 AM
A lot of gunfighters with a lot more time behind a gun then me say loaded or not, its the cycling that wears springs. Believe whatever . . .

However, keeping a USGI m16 mag loaded to cap puts pressure on the feedlips and can bow them out, cause DP double feeds and the such. You can stretch the springs out, but they will wear out eventually. Magazines should be changed periodicly. Upgrades you could consider are buying magpul upgrade kits which come w a non-tilt follower and a stainless, more robust spring. The newest CTEP issue magazine have these.Weak mag springs and burst fire or auto dont mix,cause the the bolt cycles faster then the magazine can keep up if the springs are old. If you really want to upgrade, you could get some PMAGS. Besides the mountain of other reasons why they are better, they come with a feedlip cover that pushes the rounds downs, and takes pressure off the feedlips when mags need to be stored loaded.

OH AND BTW.
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/Johnson_n_2010/thereisadifference2.jpg

FoxtrotOscar
05-14-11, 11:34 AM
Screw all that nonsense... keep a six gun around...

:)

AlohaMarine
05-14-11, 02:20 PM
Sigh

LandsNGrooves
05-15-11, 06:05 PM
Screw all that nonsense... keep a six gun around...

:)

Unless you train like Jerry Miclulek dose, a revolver will put you at a serious disadvantage in any kind of defensive/offensive situation. Even if you do, the same will be true.

Box into a box(magazine into magwell) is much easier under stress they fitting 6/7 circles into slightly bigger ones( a speed loader into the cylinder).

Which is why I have no clue why some many dummies recomend S&W jframes for females.

Zulu 36
05-15-11, 06:39 PM
Unless you train like Jerry Miclulek dose, a revolver will put you at a serious disadvantage in any kind of defensive/offensive situation. Even if you do, the same will be true.

Box into a box(magazine into magwell) is much easier under stress they fitting 6/7 circles into slightly bigger ones( a speed loader into the cylinder).

Which is why I have no clue why some many dummies recomend S&W jframes for females.

Years ago I used to be able to speedload a revolver pretty well. Of course, I used speedloaders. But I took the time to train. I was fairly decent with loops too. When my department had revolvers I wore two speedloaders and a six-round loop.

I prefer semi-autos for many reasons, but reload speed is one of the primary ones. But again, I've taken the time to train.

Same thing with holster selection. You've got to train with it. I used to use a Safariland Level III high retention holster on the street (I had three attempted gun grabs on me before I got it, and I was very sensitive about them). This is a tricky holster to use (which makes it hard for a gun grab) and one must train with it to draw efficiently. When teaching at the academy, I could always outdraw the recruits using my holster that actually has three steps to perform a draw as opposed to most of theirs that only had one or two steps. Simply, it was practice. I could also use the holster with my off-hand - practice.

Regardless of firearm selection, it comes down to train, train, train. If you carry a gun, you should be spending at least as much time training with it as you do practicing your golf swing - or more.