PDA

View Full Version : Can I play guitar?

Cancer
05-11-11, 07:34 PM
I was wondering when I'm in Afghanistan if it would be possible to find a guitar!

Would the Corps supply one? Would the Corps accept it?

its just that I have been playing for the past 5 years

the guitar is a big part of my life

Thanks

LandsNGrooves
05-11-11, 07:39 PM
there are a couple punk/metalcoreish bands in Kabul now. Just ask your gunny if you can go see them! no prob!

Cancer
05-11-11, 07:40 PM
Would it be a problem to keep a guitar at base?

USNAviator
05-11-11, 07:41 PM
I was wondering when I'm in Afghanistan if it would be possible to find a guitar!

Would the Corps supply one? Would the Corps accept it?

its just that I have been playing for the past 5 years

the guitar is a big part of my life

Thanks

Please fill in your profile. Are you planning on taking a trip to Afghanistan? If so why would the Corps care or provide you with a guitar, Marine friend?

Cancer
05-11-11, 07:45 PM
Please fill in your profile. Are you planning on taking a trip to Afghanistan? If so why would the Corps care or provide you with a guitar, Marine friend?

Father was a Marine in Nam, came out with 3 purple hearts, bone fragments in his neck and the navy cross with valor

I aim to follow in his footsteps, haven't signed any papers yet because I am busy getting in shape

I am having trouble running 3m in 26 mins

But the guitar question weighs heavily on my mind, will I be able to play guitar????

BadAce2212
05-11-11, 07:51 PM
There are non-profits that will send a guitar over for ya, I dont know if you'll be able to take your own. But just wondering how much the guitar is gonna be on your mind when you have to watch your six to make sure your azz doesnt get shot off?? There are bigger fish to fry in combat.

USNAviator
05-11-11, 07:55 PM
Father was a Marine in Nam, came out with 3 purple hearts, bone fragments in his neck and the navy cross with valor

I aim to follow in his footsteps, haven't signed any papers yet because I am busy getting in shape

I am having trouble running 3m in 26 mins

But the guitar question weighs heavily on my mind, will I be able to play guitar????

Your father was a Marine in Nam? Not your grand-father? How old are you????

Navy Cross with Valor? Was he also a SEAL?

Anyone want to pull the plug? I've bagged my quota for the week!

Still no profile cancer!

BadAce2212
05-11-11, 07:59 PM
Your father was a Marine in Nam? Not your grand-father? How old are you????

Navy Cross with Valor? Was he also a SEAL?

Anyone want to pull the plug? I've bagged my quota for the week!

Still no profile cancer!

Haha somebody will get him for sure Cmndr.

m14ed
05-11-11, 08:00 PM
His profile is still empty
it probibly matches his squash

USNAviator
05-11-11, 08:02 PM
His profile is still empty
it probibly matches his squash

Ed do you smell a troll? They leave such a stench. Be my guest to hit the report button on the left

Cancer
05-11-11, 08:08 PM
Why would I take the one thing I love and do everyday and throw it away?

I would like to be able to practice guitar, have done so everyday for5 years

Phantom Blooper
05-11-11, 08:09 PM
Can You Play Rock Band With the Guitar Hero Guitar?

<!-- google_ad_section_end() --></HEADER><FOOTER class=footer>
<FOOTER class="AuthorProfileWrap footer">

<!-- google_ad_section_start() -->
It probably isn't surprising that the maker of Rock Band, Harmonix, allows for Guitar Hero guitars (http://www.ehow.com/about_5427275_can-band-guitar-hero-guitar.html#) to be used with its games (http://www.ehow.com/hobbies-games/). Although they are competing brands, the compatibility makes it easier for players who own both games to keep rocking between platforms.
<!-- google_ad_section_end() --><SECTION class="Module body FLC"><SECTION><!-- google_ad_section_start() -->

What Isn't Compatible

Neither Guitar Hero (http://www.ehow.com/about_5427275_can-band-guitar-hero-guitar.html#) nor Rock Band for Wii offers cross-game compatibility. In addition, the Rock Band guitar doesn't come cheap. It retails at nearly $80, while a Guitar Hero controller sells for as low as $30.

Gibson SG

The Gibson SG used in both Guitar Hero I and II works with Rock Band (http://www.ehow.com/about_5427275_can-band-guitar-hero-guitar.html#), and with every subsequent Guitar Hero game. It sells for $30 or less.

Kramer Striker

Another more recent model that works for every game is the Kramer Striker, a wireless model that came with Guitar Hero III. However, the Kramer has become more difficult to find, and when you do find one, it can be costly. You might be better off with the SG.

More Models

Other Guitar Hero controllers work with Rock Band, including the Gibson Explorer from Guitar Hero II and the Gibson Les Paul from Guitar Hero III.

Where to Buy Them

Whether you choose the Guitar Hero or Rock Band guitar, or both, keep in mind that they are not always available in stores. Rather, it can be smart to shop online or mix that with some store shopping.

Read more: Can You Play Rock Band With the Guitar Hero Guitar? | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/about_5427275_can-band-guitar-hero-guitar.html#ixzz1M60kWSyJ) http://www.ehow.com/about_5427275_can-band-guitar-hero-guitar.html#ixzz1M60kWSyJ

Cancer
05-11-11, 08:10 PM
Is it that hard to find out if the Corps can get me a guitar IN AFGHANISTAN?

Phantom Blooper
05-11-11, 08:13 PM
I gave you a link....

Cancer
05-11-11, 08:13 PM
A lot of people in all branches of the military have guitars in the barracks, and they play them and practice, but as for the Corps giving you one, that's what I was referring to, they don't issue guitars. But they do let you keep one and practice it. You just keep it locked up, because theft in the barracks is more common in some areas than in others, depends on where you are as a Marine, and it is a serious crime, calls for a court-martial---anyway, you are not even in yet, but yes, the Corps and every other service allows it but does not issue one.

In Afghanistan, I doubt the Corps will give you a guitar, no.

This has answered my question. Thank you

I'll get one boxed and mailed

USNAviator
05-11-11, 08:20 PM
Dan, sometimes I really have to wonder if this place is for real.
I leave to do a few things, come back and there is a fracking post about Does the Marine Corps SUPPLY a guitar?

LOL, we should put up a Don't Feed the Troll sign. But yes didn't they back in the day provide you with musical instruments? I know in the Navy if you wanted to learn to play the ocarina as an enlisted, all you had to was ask your section Chief. Very hospitable those E-8's with 28 years in.

USNAviator
05-11-11, 08:39 PM
Dave do they really expect us to fall for this cr$p? I remember Karen Goodbody from NSA ,you remember her don't you, telling me that they now are tracking any suspicious activity on all military oriented sites.

Things are just too much on edge now with bin Laden gone. They are collecting data on profiles, IP addresses etc. Too many variables, we can't be too careful

BadAce2212
05-11-11, 08:42 PM
Things are just too much on edge now with bin Laden gone. They are collecting data on profiles, IP addresses etc. Too many variables, we can't be too careful[/B]

Dont forget the Illuminati is always watching:D

SGT7477
05-11-11, 08:43 PM
You can't fix stupid, Semper Fidelis.

BadAce2212
05-11-11, 08:47 PM
Its going to take a looong time to get over that illuminati tat..

Mongoose
05-11-11, 08:48 PM
If your going to take after your dad, you wont have time to play the guitar.

BadAce2212
05-11-11, 08:50 PM
<sigh> What have I done, I've infected another thread with the illuminati..They spread like a virus all over this place lol

BadAce2212
05-11-11, 09:01 PM
haha Everytime I even hear the word Illuminati now I proceed to shake my head, laugh, about face and go on about my business.

Tennessee Top
05-11-11, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you're a better fit with the USO than the Marines.

This is my guitar.
There are many like it but this one is mine.
I must strum my guitar before the enemy strums his.
I must strum my guitar true.

How in the hell did this cancer get in the open squaday forum anyway? It needs chemo before it matastasizes somewhere else!!!

This one won't match the illuminati thread by a long shot.

BadAce2212
05-11-11, 09:13 PM
I just went to check it, it's 17 pages and still going--------------

That's sad. I bet it'll keep going for a long time before it finally dies.

BadAce2212
05-11-11, 09:20 PM
Hahaha it has become his baby! Thanks to the Pozer for supplying us with a thread that we all can enjoy..maybe a little too much lol

SSgtRSD
05-11-11, 09:26 PM
I heard the Marine Corps is actually going to cut back on how many rifles they purchase in order to facilitate the solution to this exact problem!!! In fact, I believe when you check in to your unit the armory will ask whether you want a rifle or a guitar as your TO weapon....

SSgtRSD
05-11-11, 09:30 PM
Lolololol!!!!!!!

Tennessee Top
05-11-11, 09:40 PM
Now if we can only get a question that COMBINES a guitar question with a tattoo waiver question, we'd be in good shape

Well, now you've done it Dave. Just a matter of time now. Be careful what you wish for.

SSgtRSD
05-11-11, 10:18 PM
Dang, I thought for a second the troll card came out a little fast. Maybe he was just a little ignorant about where he is. But Dave, once again, right on the money.....Kind of sad though that there are so many...

SSgtRSD
05-11-11, 10:30 PM
Ahhhh, good point. Like the guy who gives consent to search off of a minor traffic stop full well knowing there's a big bag of coke and a .45 under his seat...

DocGreek
05-11-11, 10:43 PM
:evilgrin:.....YOU NUMBNUTS HAVE WASTED 5 PAGES OF THREADS ON THIS AZZHOLE!!!!.....WHAT A BUNCH OF BORED OLD MEN!!!!!.....DUH!!...:evilgrin:

USNAviator
05-11-11, 11:03 PM
Dang, I thought for a second the troll card came out a little fast. Maybe he was just a little ignorant about where he is. But Dave, once again, right on the money.....Kind of sad though that there are so many...

Geez Ryan go back and read #'s 7 and 11. Do you see Dave's imprint on them? Dave has this incredible publicist who flits about all over the place, he's invisible but it's his job to make Dave look good no matter the situation.

Little know fact but Dave was on the OJ defense team. Sort of second string but he tried on the OJ glove and said, "Crap this doesn't fit can I get a better fit?" as I'm sure you know this was twisted by the OJ defense team into, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit"

tracs1833
05-11-11, 11:04 PM
Let me make sure that I have this straight. YOU want to play a guitar in a war zone, but YOU don't want to possibly get YOUR guitar damaged. So the Corps should supply you with one. Am I correct? No problem. I'll write a note to the Commandant asking that, 1) if you ever become a Marine, and 2) if you are ever sent to Afghanistan, you be issued a guitar instead of a weapon. Any other special items or requests, just please let us know and we will immediately have the Corps stop everything and cater to your every whim.

USNAviator
05-11-11, 11:09 PM
I was tied up, Dan, the day they invited me to join the team, so I missed out (fortunately). Missed out also on the Las Vegas thing, too.

Dave your personal habits perhaps should be left for another time and place, don't you think???.......:D

SSgtRSD
05-11-11, 11:22 PM
Commander you said it though, you made your quota for the month. I just didn't want to throw another one at you, can't have your stats looking inflated...Plus Dave could use a little pick-me-up after getting the rope burns...

tracs1833
05-11-11, 11:43 PM
Dave, maybe we should advise this young man that what the Corps really needs are guitarists that are fluent in either Klingon or Vulcan (Vulcanese?).

USNAviator
05-12-11, 12:00 AM
Commander you said it though, you made your quota for the month. I just didn't want to throw another one at you, can't have your stats looking inflated...Plus Dave could use a little pick-me-up after getting the rope burns...

Ryan glad you understand the delicate balance with Dave. Too much is not enough too little not too much. Tough to gauge,so I try and humor him. I take credit where I think I desreve and give back others so Dave and his orbital crew of Zooomie JAG can bask in his glory. Too bad it's a 20 watt bulb

m14ed
05-12-11, 03:13 AM
LOL, we should put up a Don't Feed the Troll sign. But yes didn't they back in the day provide you with musical instruments? I know in the Navy if you wanted to learn to play the ocarina as an enlisted, all you had to was ask your section Chief. Very hospitable those E-8's with 28 years in.

Was that the Famous SweetPotatoe, SweePatooie ? i always wondered what they used in addition to them "Bells"
noise all the time. Know where the term "Bells and Whistles " came from when it came to describing do-dads with all the functions..

The Corps was a little stricter with us..
IF we provided our own "Comb"
we could always ask the Chief Messman
for some wax paper, and get up a version of the
"All MarineCorps Kazoo Marching Band"

gotta love trolls, and tattoo's ?
gives us another way to attack boredom

Tennessee Top
05-12-11, 05:56 AM
Speaking of boredom...

Cancer is OBVIOUSLY a bored Marine on duty somewhere around the globe with nothing better to do than yank all our chains.

He is getting a big chuckle out of all the attention.

Good job Cancer; you are a great entertainer!

LCPLE3
05-12-11, 06:28 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/lcple3/gun_guitar.jpg

Phantom Blooper
05-12-11, 09:01 AM
Dats the true meaning of Guitar Hero!

Phantom Blooper
05-12-11, 09:05 AM
DOC....I remember the day and time that YOU used to be a bored old man...

Just sayin':beer:

Old Marine
05-12-11, 09:55 AM
I remember when there were a couple of brothers in the 11th Marines who would break out their Guitars and sing for the troops in the barracks. There names were Don & Phil Everly. True story.

m14ed
05-12-11, 10:31 AM
I remember one day with a half day liberty went into downtown DaNang with a Marine Buddy "Cpl John Caskey" he got on a guitar Strummin' in a sidewalk shop, and a Dark Green Marine heard him , and joined in on a set of drums there also in the store.. It was an INSTANT sidewalk hit for all around the neighborhood, untill the Q'c's and the MP's
broke the crowd up and had us move along.

John Caskey of california, i still remember you always
and if you read this, Gimme a Call

BadAce2212
05-12-11, 11:32 AM
Wait, do you think the Marine Corps Band is going to give him a spot for his guitar playing and start playing AC/DC?? With the guitar shown above, Im sure he would have some wild routine during parades!!