PDA

View Full Version : Officer Screening Form

Brendon
05-11-11, 02:33 PM
Hi,

I recently filled out the Officer Screening Form for my local OSO. I filled it out on Monday, and it's Wednesday and I have not heard back from them yet. I am very sure I have nothing in my history that would prohibit me from joining - I even changed a tattoo I was getting in order to make sure it absolutely does not violate the Marine Corps standards. I was wondering how long I should expect to wait to hear back from them. Should I email them and ask what's up? Or should I just wait? Maybe I am overeager, I am not sure, but I figure I'd ask you Marines to find out if this is true, or if I should contact the OSO's office.

oscrmyr
05-11-11, 02:55 PM
Overeager!!!! Is an understatement. Marines are great at what they do. But Damn. Your stuff has to be compiled, put together correctly and sent up the chain for approval.

iamspartacus
05-11-11, 03:05 PM
Over-eagerness isn't necessarily a bad thing. You want your OSO to know you're motivated and excited. Just don't let your over-eagerness switch to pestering... which I can tell you want to avoid.

In my opinion, no, it probably doesn't take that long to look over your pre-screening form. But, I'm sure you're not his only candidate right now. He's got other places to be and things to do as well. And yes, it may have to be reviewed by at least one other person who also has other places to be and things to do. I'd give it a full week. If you don't hear anything by Monday shoot him a polite e-mail or phone call asking if there is a status update.

Tennessee Top
05-11-11, 03:48 PM
Patience young grasshopper.

You're dealing with the Government here (the same organization that took nearly a decade to find OBL). Does the term "hurry up and wait" mean anything to you...it will. Get used to it early and your life will be easier.

Good luck.

Brendon
05-11-11, 04:28 PM
Thanks a lot all of you Marines. I really appreciate it, and this forum as well - I've been reading through it and it's very informative. I am pretty eager to join, or at least get the contract handled since I have one semester to go. If I could, I'd love to go to Quantico this summer, but if it's too late for that, the winter will be nice since you can go in the fall or winter if you graduate I learned. I deeply hope I get in, I've read the entire Marines website and sub websites and I have a hard time thinking about anything else.

I definitely want to avoid pestering the Captain, and I learned he is on the road doing some recruitment activities this week, so I will wait until Monday to shoot his office an email.

USNAviator
05-11-11, 06:32 PM
Thanks a lot all of you Marines. I really appreciate it, and this forum as well - I've been reading through it and it's very informative. I am pretty eager to join, or at least get the contract handled since I have one semester to go. If I could, I'd love to go to Quantico this summer, but if it's too late for that, the winter will be nice since you can go in the fall or winter if you graduate I learned. I deeply hope I get in, I've read the entire Marines website and sub websites and I have a hard time thinking about anything else.

I definitely want to avoid pestering the Captain, and I learned he is on the road doing some recruitment activities this week, so I will wait until Monday to shoot his office an email.

Brendon trust me I live in Virginia about an hour south of Quantico. You don't want to be there in the summer time

You've been given some good advice. Just be patient. You'll be filling out forms from now until you separate from the Corps, years down the road.

You didn't mention which MOS you're interested in. Of course unless you're Air or JAG you only get a "wish list" but which area interests you the most?

Brendon
05-11-11, 10:17 PM
Thanks - I lived in D.C. for a semester as an intern for a lobbying firm, and that's not too far from Quantico, and I couldn't believe how warm it was for a Northeastern city once the summer hit - the winter that year was harsh too though (2010), but as a New Englander, I have no problem with the cold.

As for MOS, my first choice would be to become a Marine pilot, either planes or helicopters, I love both. My cousin, who is a Sergeant in the Army said that I have almost no chance of flying planes in the Marines because I never went to the Naval Academy, and although he wants to help me become a WO in the Army to fly helicopters, I really only want to be a Marine officer and I am not interested in the other branches.

Second choice would be infantry. I'm also interested in Tank and Amphibious Vehicle assault. I am pretty poor at mathematics, being a Political Science and English major, so I don't now how that would factor into my MOS.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-15-11, 07:23 PM
Expect, at minimum, if you are VERY lucky...a 90 day wait.

Seriously. It may be longer....

Brendon
05-15-11, 08:23 PM
Ouch! That would be a long time to be in suspense. Hopefully it works out. If I get the chance to talk to the recruiter soon, I want to ask him more about MARSOC. It looks awesome. I know you have to be in the Marines awhile before being able to apply, but that's my goal, if I can't be a pilot. I guess in the meanwhile I'll keep working out hard and maybe take a summer class to make my last semester load a little lighter. Thanks for the heads up though - I was hoping one week, but it sounds like I need to hunker down for a good wait. Hopefully I'll be able to post soon and say I got accepted.

lamanognr86
05-15-11, 08:37 PM
I'm going to be honest with you. Three years ago I was playing "The Waiting Game" with my OSO. I graduated college in 2008. I had decent grades, high PFT, lots of extracuricular activies, great essay, ect...Well, a year and a half later, I was still playing "The Waiting Game."

I've always had it in me to enlist before becoming officer, which is what I did. Things happen for a reason. My OSO recruiter told me that I won't get accepted into OCS as a College Graduate. I guess being too qualified is bad. Hmm...Well, he's not a recruiter anymore. He's in the Fleet. I can't wait til my time comes and I pick up that butterbar. Funny thing is that it only took me less than two months to ship out to Parris Island. Crazy how that works out.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that you will be waiting a long time. Have fun!!!

USNAviator
05-15-11, 09:01 PM
Thanks - I lived in D.C. for a semester as an intern for a lobbying firm, and that's not too far from Quantico, and I couldn't believe how warm it was for a Northeastern city once the summer hit - the winter that year was harsh too though (2010), but as a New Englander, I have no problem with the cold.

As for MOS, my first choice would be to become a Marine pilot, either planes or helicopters, I love both. My cousin, who is a Sergeant in the Army said that I have almost no chance of flying planes in the Marines because I never went to the Naval Academy, and although he wants to help me become a WO in the Army to fly helicopters, I really only want to be a Marine officer and I am not interested in the other branches.

Second choice would be infantry. I'm also interested in Tank and Amphibious Vehicle assault. I am pretty poor at mathematics, being a Political Science and English major, so I don't now how that would factor into my MOS.

Brendon I went to BU, you know what I'm taking about, In fact I just finished up a semester teaching history on Comm.Ave

With whatever to your cousin, he's full of bull corn. I spent 20 years flying for Navy and did not come within one day of matriculating at the Academy

PM me if you have any questions re. Marine Air or Air in general.

Good luck to you!

Brendon
05-15-11, 09:40 PM
I'm going to be honest with you. Three years ago I was playing "The Waiting Game" with my OSO. I graduated college in 2008. I had decent grades, high PFT, lots of extracuricular activies, great essay, ect...Well, a year and a half later, I was still playing "The Waiting Game."

I've always had it in me to enlist before becoming officer, which is what I did. Things happen for a reason. My OSO recruiter told me that I won't get accepted into OCS as a College Graduate. I guess being too qualified is bad. Hmm...Well, he's not a recruiter anymore. He's in the Fleet. I can't wait til my time comes and I pick up that butterbar. Funny thing is that it only took me less than two months to ship out to Parris Island. Crazy how that works out.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that you will be waiting a long time. Have fun!!!

Yeah, it does seem like I have a lot of waiting. But I'm very adamant about getting in as an officer. In my MMA gym, I told everyone what I'm doing, and they graciously let me train alongside the pro fighters in many cases and do their workouts, so physically I should be more than able when the time comes, although I believe I qualify now for sure. I'm going gung ho on my remaining college courses, and I'm already plotting my essays, character references and more. If I don't get in the first time I'll just reapply. My OSO seems to want me to finish college, I don't think graduating will hurt me. This website has helped me a lot in getting an idea of what I need to do though http://www.chicagomarineofficer.com/application.htm - It goes through the application process pretty well, and now I know what to expect. I'm still going to email the Captain tomorrow to see whats up. I just want to know if the initial screening form is all good, and maybe get an interview. I really want to meet him and go over things.

Brendon
05-15-11, 09:47 PM
Brendon I went to BU, you know what I'm taking about, In fact I just finished up a semester teaching history on Comm.Ave

With whatever to your cousin, he's full of bull corn. I spent 20 years flying for Navy and did not come within one day of matriculating at the Academy

PM me if you have any questions re. Marine Air or Air in general.

Good luck to you!

That's awesome - if I could go to any other college, I would choose BU (I'm at UMass Lowell at the moment), it's a beautiful campus and a great school, and I love the city. I'll have to send you a PM, I definitely have a few questions, and I really appreciate the help!!! I'm also glad to hear my cousin is wrong, I was kind of despairing over the fact that I never went to the Naval Academy.

USNAviator
05-15-11, 10:03 PM
That's awesome - if I could go to any other college, I would choose BU (I'm at UMass Lowell at the moment), it's a beautiful campus and a great school, and I love the city. I'll have to send you a PM, I definitely have a few questions, and I really appreciate the help!!! I'm also glad to hear my cousin is wrong, I was kind of despairing over the fact that I never went to the Naval Academy.

No worries, send it along. I went through PLC but got a chance to go Naval Air. Never looked back but the best close air supports in the world are Marine Air and it's not because of their skill level. It's because they know they are giving their support to their brothers on the deck

MarinesFTW
05-15-11, 10:14 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there because I'm a winger. There are two types of Pilots. The ones that act like normal people and are complete business when there flying, and those that who are completely business at all times. Trust me when I say being a normal person, even when being a officer is ok. I respect all my officers, but those who act like a normal person make my job alot more enjoyable and get alot more respect from everyone, and respect from powerline is something you want. Just had to throw it out there.

Brendon
05-16-11, 08:28 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there because I'm a winger. There are two types of Pilots. The ones that act like normal people and are complete business when there flying, and those that who are completely business at all times. Trust me when I say being a normal person, even when being a officer is ok. I respect all my officers, but those who act like a normal person make my job alot more enjoyable and get alot more respect from everyone, and respect from powerline is something you want. Just had to throw it out there.

It's like that on the Hill in Washington too, you have your oddly clean purely professional at-all-times lobbyists and staffers, and they tend to fade into the background because they never stand out, and your normal people who carry themselves professionally, but they're also fun to be around and get a few beers with. I'll keep this advice in mind though - I am a pretty big personality though so it should come easy.

Brendon
05-16-11, 08:35 PM
Also, I hate to double post, but it seemed like the best way to delineate between the two subjects. I have a new question - I got in contact with the OSO office today and a different Captain set up an interview for Wednesday afternoon with him. Is there anything I should know before going into this interview? Any questions I should make sure to ask, or any things I should make sure I don't say (although I have nothing to hide)?

I plan to wear a nice button down shirt and a pair of jeans - not too casual but not decked out like I'm going to court or something. In the pictures I've seen, most potential officers are wearing polo's, so I figure I'm on the right track. If I should dress business professional or something, let me know. I would really appreciate any advice -

Thanks,

MarinesFTW
05-17-11, 09:34 PM
Yes, dress nice, mind your manners, he is a officer so remember that. I would ask anything that comes to your mind, start writing everything down now so your not sitting there with a blank look on your face. Pay attention to everything he says, something seems weird, ask, if your still not sure, google is your best friend. I knew exactly what I was doing before it happened because I researched everything beyond need, but thats also why I was the knowledge recruit in boot because I knew my stuff. There is nothing wrong with knowing to much, just dont try to act like your better then anyone because of it. All I got for you man, hope everything goes nice and easy for you. Semper Fi

Geagle05
05-17-11, 10:55 PM
Hi,

I recently filled out the Officer Screening Form for my local OSO. I filled it out on Monday, and it's Wednesday and I have not heard back from them yet. I am very sure I have nothing in my history that would prohibit me from joining - I even changed a tattoo I was getting in order to make sure it absolutely does not violate the Marine Corps standards. I was wondering how long I should expect to wait to hear back from them. Should I email them and ask what's up? Or should I just wait? Maybe I am overeager, I am not sure, but I figure I'd ask you Marines to find out if this is true, or if I should contact the OSO's office.

Brendon,

I am currently on PTAD duty (essentially office assistant) with my old OSO before I check into my unit in Lejeune. If I understand you correctly, you filled out the basic prescreen form which lets us know if there is anything that will immediately disqualify you. Others have already said this but be patient! Motivation is good and being over eager is way better than doing nothing. Hundreds of people inquire about being a Marine officer every week and only a handful show the initiative and desire to continue the process. What I am trying to say is continue the moto but be patient because we have a lot of people to process. Calling will not hurt, but if you calling every other minute that is a different story! :)

As per your last post, getting an interview means they pre-screened you and are willing to give you an interview. It's a first impression, but that does not mean wear a suit (unless you're coming from work and it's inconvenient to change). Be yourself, be professional, but be normal! Jeans and button down shirt is fine to me. As the Marine before me said, being 'normal' is huge. Your OSO is not your buddy, and don't 'dude talk' him, but I think it's safe to say Marines see through bullsh*t more than your average civilian employer. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. Like I said, I am working for my OSO for the next few weeks so these things are fresh in my mind.

Burke7051
05-18-11, 12:40 PM
Patience young grasshopper.

:thumbup::thumbup:

joseywales
05-18-11, 12:44 PM
. "all decked out like I'm going to court or something".
Make sure you tell em all about your criminal history

Burke7051
05-18-11, 01:21 PM
. "all decked out like I'm going to court or something".
Make sure you tell em all about your criminal history

Bahaha yeah, the kid probably got done too many times for underage binge drinking with the beer bongs and roofies at the various Frat parties, err, I mean "social gatherings" on Campus.

Brendon
05-18-11, 11:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys - I really appreciate all of that advice. Don't worry - I was in court as a victim of a crime the day I wrote that (I won, so it's all good), and I thought it was just kinda funny. Never did any drugs or binge drinking - I'm too much of a churchyard junkie for that kind of behavior, although I really love beer.

The interview went awesome, and I got a MEPS appointment/PF test/ASVAB a couple weeks out and a giant application to fill out and hand in ASAP. Hopefully I do well enough on the portion that concerns being a marine pilot, because the OSO told me I could get an aviation contract if I do. The recruitment office was cool too, and the Marines were awesome. I'm glad the ball got rolling, the OSO is going to try to get me in Quantico for the winter session, so I could be a commissioned officer in less than a year, God willing. Time to go fill out some papers and study for the ASVAB!

USNAviator
05-19-11, 07:38 AM
Thanks a lot guys - I really appreciate all of that advice. Don't worry - I was in court as a victim of a crime the day I wrote that (I won, so it's all good), and I thought it was just kinda funny. Never did any drugs or binge drinking - I'm too much of a churchyard junkie for that kind of behavior, although I really love beer.

The interview went awesome, and I got a MEPS appointment/PF test/ASVAB a couple weeks out and a giant application to fill out and hand in ASAP. Hopefully I do well enough on the portion that concerns being a marine pilot, because the OSO told me I could get an aviation contract if I do. The recruitment office was cool too, and the Marines were awesome. I'm glad the ball got rolling, the OSO is going to try to get me in Quantico for the winter session, so I could be a commissioned officer in less than a year, God willing. Time to go fill out some papers and study for the ASVAB!

Great news Brendon. If you have any questions about flight school etc ask away.If you do qualify for an Aviation contract you'll still go through TBS then down to P-Cola. Ever taken any flying lessons? If you can afford it, go to Hanscom Field and see about taking a lesson or two. Some flight schools give you a free introductory flight. Nothing like seeing if you have the talent and don't get air sick. Small planes tend to bounce around a bit.

Brendon
05-19-11, 01:19 PM
Great news Brendon. If you have any questions about flight school etc ask away.If you do qualify for an Aviation contract you'll still go through TBS then down to P-Cola. Ever taken any flying lessons? If you can afford it, go to Hanscom Field and see about taking a lesson or two. Some flight schools give you a free introductory flight. Nothing like seeing if you have the talent and don't get air sick. Small planes tend to bounce around a bit.

Thanks a lot - will do if I come up with any questions. I have never taken a flight lesson, but, I met a really cute girl from the AF who lives on Hanscom last week, and we're going out on Saturday, so I'll ask her about that then or later on when she text barrages me. I can't really afford anything, but it's worth looking into at least, I figure, in case I could get a free lesson. I think I should try out flying at least once. She's enlisted and handles finances and AF paychecks, so I don't expect her to know too much, but I have the feeling she could be a godsend when it comes to getting a lesson.

Brendon
05-21-11, 08:28 PM
Well, that girl isn't going to work out... but, I at least found the answer to my question. The flight lessons are really expensive, run by a private company, and even if I can get a free lesson out of them it'd be $75 for a Mass SIDA license which I'd need to be a student on that particular base. Then there's some other expenses, even if I can get a free flight trainer for a while and a free plane rental. With car troubles, I am unsure if that'll be a possibility, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open for future possibilities.