PDA

View Full Version : Why does meps suck?

cato
05-11-11, 10:45 AM
I signed a 0321 recon contract in December and since then i have signed it another 6 times and about to resign it tomorrow because M.E.P.S. lost it again. My question along with my recruiters is why does M.E.P.S. suck so much?

USMC030393
05-11-11, 11:08 AM
Think of it as the DMV of the military. Most of the people down there are not in the military. In my experience, the military members were really cool and the guys at the desks were not so much.

Deal with their problems, it'll all be over soon!

MunkyVsRobot
05-11-11, 06:10 PM
It's a government entity.

IHaveEGA843
05-11-11, 07:44 PM
And those people who do the MEDREADs suck also.....

Holding me the **** up

jeonpaolo
05-11-11, 11:42 PM
the military personnel there will really awesome (the Master Sergeant made me the house mouse in his office and had me filing sh*t for a couple of hours lol too) but the civilians were super d*cks.

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:03 PM
I signed a 0321 recon contract in December and since then i have signed it another 6 times and about to resign it tomorrow because M.E.P.S. lost it again. My question along with my recruiters is why does M.E.P.S. suck so much?

M.E.P.S is what you make of it, I've been there twice so far, and everytime I make new friends and always have a laugh.

I don't like going through the day miserable so I make the best of it.

Tbrown10
05-22-11, 02:33 PM
M.E.P.S is what you make of it, I've been there twice so far, and everytime I make new friends and always have a laugh.

I don't like going through the day miserable so I make the best of it.

+1 those dumbass's (they are actually nice people though) did get my Name backwards and thought my name was brown trey, which is what it was in the system lol took me and the Ssgt in the Liason to get it right, but i didnt think meps was that bad other than the woman looking at stuff i didnt really want her to lol

MunkyVsRobot
05-22-11, 02:56 PM
the military personnel there will really awesome (the Master Sergeant made me the house mouse in his office and had me filing sh*t for a couple of hours lol too) but the civilians were super d*cks.

Dont think I'd be happy to be house mouse for anything, no one likes a house mouse or someone thats going to rat you out.

robbyj
05-22-11, 11:28 PM
Dont think I'd be happy to be house mouse for anything, no one likes a house mouse or someone thats going to rat you out.

Ratting? The person who tells the DI of YOUR mistake is somebody who didn't like that YOU ****ed up and thinks you should be treated accordingly for doing so.

ChrrySkoal
05-23-11, 09:38 AM
LOL loooong friggin' day the TV was playing mortal combat but the dang movie was skipping funny as hell (the other recruits in differnt branches were complianing the USMC wannabes were laughing like crazy) HA, but in the end after going up twice, taking the oath, 100% worth the time.

Brian810
05-23-11, 09:53 AM
LOL loooong friggin' day the TV was playing mortal combat but the dang movie was skipping funny as hell (the other recruits in differnt branches were complianing the USMC wannabes were laughing like crazy) HA, but in the end after going up twice, taking the oath, 100% worth the time.

Agreed, been there twice now, took the oath. The hotel was great. It was worth MEPS, and even then, as long as your not an ******* to anyone the people there are remarkably nice :D

93Reaper
05-23-11, 01:33 PM
I hate MEPS, I've been in the DEP since February 4th. I was at the field meet getting screened and they had no record of my communications contract. All i wanted to say was what the **** are you serious? I told the Captain who i have met previously at different poolee functions that my recruiter and the SNCOIC gave me a contract before i even swore in, so i went to MEPS with a comms sontract in my SF86. I'm kind of bull**** because now i will have to try and un-**** some stuff.

SnowByThePound
05-26-11, 07:43 PM

I thought they were not offering that anymore because of the washout rate of people straight out of boot? The only option you had was to hope there was a seat available when they ask you at SOI and or wait for an indoc at a later time?

I was pingpong'd around @ meps the last time because they couldn't find any of my medical paperwork. i guess it is understandable with the thousands of kids going through there so often.. but then again i don't think they lose your paperwork at a real hospital, it's kind of important.

Tony20111024
06-09-11, 01:57 PM
MEPs was just too much standing around. It was nice to talk to all the other future Marines though. I actually met two fake Marines there one said he was recon and I called him out on it. (Looked like he was 12) But it felt nice walking around with that sticker that says "United States Marine Corps" makes you feel a bit superior when airforce double take at you.

OVonRomer
06-09-11, 04:45 PM
Not even the Air Force, there were a lot of future Coast Guardsmen that acted as if the Marine Corps. were second to them when I went.

Coast Guard.

Buhler
06-09-11, 05:26 PM
I got a messed up story about MEPS (I guess its MEPS).

So I signed my AG (enlisted air crew) contract some time in early December. My ship date is 20110822, and I find out TODAY, after being given the AG spot, and signing the contract that I don't qualify because of my vision. I was preparing for it for almost 7 months, and excited about my job, only to find out that I don't qualify, because someone didn't look through it close enough.

So for that, I say, **** MEPS.

Tony20111024
06-09-11, 08:18 PM
I got a messed up story about MEPS (I guess its MEPS).

So I signed my AG (enlisted air crew) contract some time in early December. My ship date is 20110822, and I find out TODAY, after being given the AG spot, and signing the contract that I don't qualify because of my vision. I was preparing for it for almost 7 months, and excited about my job, only to find out that I don't qualify, because someone didn't look through it close enough.

So for that, I say, **** MEPS.
Ha that sucks.. that was the contract I wanted desperate but I couldn't get. Still plan to go in the wing and become an Aerial Observer though.

Buhler
06-09-11, 08:41 PM
Ha that sucks.. that was the contract I wanted desperate but I couldn't get. Still plan to go in the wing and become an Aerial Observer though.

I remember hearing somewhere that being an AO wasnt really a formal position, but that they picked up anybody off the flight line to fill a spot on a helo. Could be wrong, but idk

IHaveEGA843
06-09-11, 09:31 PM
Went to MEPs today and have to go back Monday, overall experince.......ok even thought a lot of the others complaind about the waiting and stuff......

I actually enjoyed it, better then being at work in the heat

SnowByThePound
06-10-11, 05:32 PM
But it felt nice walking around with that sticker that says "United States Marine Corps" makes you feel a bit superior when airforce double take at you.

Without a doubt. Funny how a little sticker can moto you. Just wait until you get to wear the Uniform.

IHaveEGA843
06-10-11, 06:22 PM
Did y'all notice how many people were there for the Army?

The Marines are truly the few and proud, there was only 3 of us for Marines, about 20-25 Army, 5 Air Force, 5 Navy, and no Coast Gaurd.

All day I heard," Marine Corps huh......gotta be the tough guy out of the bunch" and during the eye test,"what branch? Marine Corps.......oh yea we won't have a problem out of you".

We had to dress up too, there was a Marine at the control desk and I asked him why us Marine prospects had to dress up and he said,"because we don't accept and look like trash"

93Reaper
06-11-11, 12:28 PM

The Marines are truly the few and proud, there was only 3 of us for Marines, about 20-25 Army, 5 Air Force, 5 Navy, and no Coast Gaurd.

All day I heard," Marine Corps huh......gotta be the tough guy out of the bunch" and during the eye test,"what branch? Marine Corps.......oh yea we won't have a problem out of you".

We had to dress up too, there was a Marine at the control desk and I asked him why us Marine prospects had to dress up and he said,"because we don't accept and look like trash"

Did you DEP in Boston? My original recruiter is there now Staff Sergeant Dolan and his old boss Staff Sergeant Webb (i think he got moved to MEPS not sure), both great Marines and helped me out a lot with enlistment process screw ups and personal s**t I was dealing with. That sounds like SSgt Dolan, or SSgt Sullivan if he's still there.

93Reaper
06-11-11, 09:31 PM
Did you DEP in Boston? My original recruiter is there now Staff Sergeant Dolan and his old boss Staff Sergeant Webb (i think he got moved to MEPS not sure), both great Marines and helped me out a lot with enlistment process screw ups and personal s**t I was dealing with. That sounds like SSgt Dolan, or SSgt Sullivan if he's still there.
disregard this post, i saw Charleston and thought of Boston. Realized it was SC.

PNW2011
06-11-11, 10:12 PM

Smaller branch, smaller quotas. Don't let it get to your head poolee, have pride but don't take it too far. There is nothing fun or good about MEPS, the other people there always talk about how they're not tough enough for the Marine Corps not because they're not tough enough, but because their heart is probably not truly into their enlistment. Because really, boot camp is designed for you to succeed, not to fail. I know we're going to be pushed hard, but they tear you down to build you up, they don't tear you down to send you home. So I wouldn't take it as praise, I just see it as their weakness.

My first experience was an 0600 DI wannabe screaming at us for 15 minutes and threatening us with 5-10 years in jail for lying to him. My second experience was the reservist at the front desk telling me that my recruiter was wrong and an idiot, sending me back to the Gunny's office so I could miss a 30 second inspection. I thought he was gonna fillet me alive, but instead he went out to the control desk and tore them a new one for lying to an applicant and wasting everyone's time, including his. I had to sit in a chair for 6 hours waiting so I could finally swear in.

IHaveEGA843
06-12-11, 06:37 AM
Yea I know Recruit Training is made for you to become a Marine but it will weed out those who aren't to the standards of the Corps basic Marine training.

Those who said those statements where the acutal docs at MEPs, I never bragged or stuck my chest out because they process people for all branches, its not like they never processed in a Marine prospect before or in the past 6 months.

Just saying a lot of people complain but it was nothing to complain about. Yea, we didn't eat until 2:30 since the last time we ate was 4 in the morning, big whoop. People complained and asked me why I wasn't getting tired or wasn't starving. I didn't say because I'm going to be a Marine but just said I'm 24 and have gone with out eating a bunch of times due to work or just not having the cash to buy anything. Yea its a long wait but its for something you wanted to do, suck it up.

PNW2011
06-12-11, 07:36 PM
I was too nervous to be hungry anyways, I think I grabbed some cookies from the vending machine instead of eating the nasty chow they had there.

I was too scared to nod off either, the gunny would walk through the lobby and chew out applicants who fell asleep.

jeonpaolo
06-12-11, 08:32 PM
Without a doubt. Funny how a little sticker can moto you. Just wait until you get to wear the Uniform.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

IHaveEGA843
06-12-11, 09:58 PM
I was too nervous to be hungry anyways, I think I grabbed some cookies from the vending machine instead of eating the nasty chow they had there.

I was too scared to nod off either, the gunny would walk through the lobby and chew out applicants who fell asleep.

We had subway to eat and I wasn't no where near nervous, I had one of the lowest heart rates when they checked blood pessure and heart rate. It was a 52......

I loved it, I liked the high pace hurry up stuff, being ordered to do something, making sure you're squared away before you proceed on.

I think I'm going to like boot camp, seriously. I may be wrong but I'm going to make the best of it like MEPs. I just told myself, "this is what these guys were talking about? This isn't ****"

One thing that's sad is why would you smell like ass if you had the chance to wash? While in the phsyica holding room where there was atleast 25 males I walked in and was hit with ass smell. Its ashame.

OVonRomer
06-13-11, 04:27 PM
My recruiter advised me to look at the brighter side of all the smoking and a$$ chewing that will take place in boot camp. "You'll be in the best shape of your entire life." ;)

PNW2011
06-13-11, 04:44 PM
We had subway to eat and I wasn't no where near nervous, I had one of the lowest heart rates when they checked blood pessure and heart rate. It was a 52......

I loved it, I liked the high pace hurry up stuff, being ordered to do something, making sure you're squared away before you proceed on.

I think I'm going to like boot camp, seriously. I may be wrong but I'm going to make the best of it like MEPs. I just told myself, "this is what these guys were talking about? This isn't ****"

One thing that's sad is why would you smell like ass if you had the chance to wash? While in the phsyica holding room where there was atleast 25 males I walked in and was hit with ass smell. Its ashame.

I wasn't really scared per se, I was just nervous because I was swearing into the freaking military. It's a big deal.

But yeah, I also had a low heart rate when I was there for my physical.

PFCPoolee
09-16-11, 09:04 PM
heh my MEPS trip wasnt that bad, not a whole lot of wannabes, maybe about 17-20 total. I guess the MEPS in Miami is pretty organized compared to some of the stories I've read here. My last name is Seaman (no, I am not joining the Navy haha) and I had to hand it to them they got my name spelled right without having to ask. kudos to them. The nurses in the medical floor was really nice and entertaining too got no quarrels with them either. my only story is when I got my eyes examed. I already wear glasses so I know my eyesight isn't good without them, but heres as follows
eye doctor: Please read line 9 on the bottom.
me: Im sorry I can't even tell you where line 9 is.
why not?
Because I can't read it.
what not?
...because its blurry.
/facepalm

EpicPopsicle
09-17-11, 10:59 PM
It wasn't so bad for me I just brought a bunch a quarters and played good old street fighter v. marvel in the arcade room.

PFCPoolee
09-17-11, 11:48 PM
angry birds with sound off in the areas they allowed texting and phones :)

IHaveEGA843
09-18-11, 08:49 AM
It wasn't so bad for me I just brought a bunch a quarters and played good old street fighter v. marvel in the arcade room.

The first time I went I was unaware of the game room and sat but the next 2 times I went I took a wallet full of singles. Played some pool and some time crisis, street fighter would've been nice to play

Blop
09-21-11, 12:05 AM
My MEPS experiences were all really, really good. I've been there four times now I think and every time it goes really smoothly.

One of the doctors got in a fight with one of the ex-military at the front desk over the correct way to staple paperwork. That was extremely entertaining. The front desk guy came and apologized to me and the two others that were there later on. Turns out he was (is) a Marine. Not a peep from the doctor /shrug.

The Marine liasons were really strict and irritable at first, but once they discovered I wasn't there to cause any problems and remembered to say 'Sir' they were extremely helpful.

Sacramento MEPS doesn't have a game room, and there was nowhere you were allowed to use a phone. I'm jealous!

Pchurchill
09-21-11, 09:01 PM
The first time I went there were about 9 of us from the Marine RS, about 5 from the Army RS, 3 from the Air force RS, and one for the Coast Guard RS. It was alright, All the poolees thought they were hot **** because they were signing a paper. I'm just a nasty civilian who hasn't done jack **** with his life yet besides sign a paper, IDK where they get their thoughts of superiority from. The second time I went, to actually DEP in, it was all USMC applicants. There were about 15 of us. The future poolees' heads were larger but at least most of them shut up that time. They had a couple big TV's in the waiting rooms so it wasn't so boring. It just annoyed me hearing all these kids talking about a bunch of stuff as if they know what their talking about. They were all full of it lol. But overall I kind of enjoyed it actually. The hotel was interesting the first time. Giggity. Yay loose girls lol.

Crusader0451
09-21-11, 09:11 PM
Just wanna say at my MEPS experience there were 56 applicants, and 6 were for Marines... Also wasn't to bad except for the weird kid that kept trying to be my friend, lol. Also kinda sad when you see someone's dreams get crushed up there :/

PooleeHildy
09-27-11, 09:55 AM
Got stuck there for 14 hours, the rest of the marine applicants and I made it not bad of an experience.

ShayEllafrits
09-28-11, 04:48 PM
I actually enjoyed it. It is what you make it. My brother and I went down at the same time, and since we are twins, we had paperwork switched on us and all that enjoyable stuff.

Kowalewski
09-29-11, 12:27 PM
I try not to think about my MEPS experience(s). Essentially the liaison is a gunny FM who is about 5 foot 5 of pure hate who scared the hell of out everyone ha. I was talking to my friend who is now a Marine who agreed that she is scarier than DI's and he would rather talk to DI's than her.

PsychoC
10-17-11, 06:35 PM
I enjoyed my time at MEPS. Im not bothered by sitting around doing nothing, to be honest it was refreshing since I have been so busy lately. We actually had a great laugh, up at RS Atlanta (Fort Gillem), they got a tv in the area and let us have the remote. We turned it onto the cattle auction channel and watched the people that walked through. They'd look at the TV, then look at us, then look at the TV, then back at us. All the while we were grinning, and having a laugh. Pretty awesome feeling being surrounded by people all with a common cause at heart.

hpZ71
10-17-11, 07:35 PM
I'd have to agree that MEPS was fairly enjoyable. I've been there what seems like at least a dozen times, so the liaison knows me well and is pretty chill. The only problem I've ever had is with fellow poolees, who usually look at me like I have a **** growing out of my forehead when I say that I'm joining the Marines.

Last time I was there, we watched a Ghostbusters marathon, and although the food isn't fantastic, it's free. Not bad if you ask me.

AdamI10
10-25-11, 08:03 AM
Why wouldnt meps suck? haha. When i went i couldnt pee in the cup for the urinalysis so i got dq'd for that,i was given 4 attempts but couldnt. Had my liason ticked off as well as my recruiter for getting dq'd. I had to go back a second time, but i was prepared this time. I drunk a camel back full of warm water before i went and almost pee'd myself. But i got in :D

MCRD Parris Island
03xx Infantry

allenl0391
10-25-11, 09:26 AM
I enjoyed my time at MEPS. Im not bothered by sitting around doing nothing, to be honest it was refreshing since I have been so busy lately. We actually had a great laugh, up at RS Atlanta (Fort Gillem), they got a tv in the area and let us have the remote. We turned it onto the cattle auction channel and watched the people that walked through. They'd look at the TV, then look at us, then look at the TV, then back at us. All the while we were grinning, and having a laugh. Pretty awesome feeling being surrounded by people all with a common cause at heart.

I went to MEPS there too. We watched this informercial for like and hour before the SSgt. told us that we could change the channel and handed us the remote. BUt as far as phones and games go, we couldn't bring our phones or they didnt have any games.

scantrell
10-25-11, 01:52 PM
Same here no phones and no games. It's okay though, everyone in Seattle is very professional and even friendly if you go in there with a positive attitude, and a healthy respect for them.

PNW2011
10-25-11, 05:07 PM
Same here no phones and no games. It's okay though, everyone in Seattle is very professional and even friendly if you go in there with a positive attitude, and a healthy respect for them.

lulz.. you sure you were at the Seattle MEPS?

scantrell
10-26-11, 05:52 PM
Absolutely. LOL there was hardly any wannabees there. Maybe everyone was just in a good mood with less of us to deal with.

BULLDAWG
10-26-11, 07:40 PM
MEPS really doesn't suck, always make a few friends and have some good laughs. Yesterday, my roommate and I walked to downtown Hapeville, Ga. We felt like we walked furthur from the hotel than anyone else did...ever...did some Rocky Balboa runs up a huge staircase, then pullups overlooking the downtown area uptop. Got "wasted" on Sherly Temples at the hotel bar...I actually stayed and the adjacent hotel last night...forked out 98 bux cause I took the DLAB today...got a 128!! My roommate was cool as hell but he was up til 330 watching I am legend or some ****...glad I made that call...haha we were telling all the first timers about the coming "purple glove and tube of vasoline"...haha had some people tripping...then took it to extremes and some people were really gullible but we had a good laugh

scantrell
10-26-11, 09:39 PM
Congrats on getting 128 on the DLAB that test is hard as ****. Only got 108 here. :)

Gregs7130
10-27-11, 03:15 PM
Congrats on getting 128 on the DLAB that test is hard as ****. Only got 108 here. :)

128!! thats crazy! i got a 108 on the DLAB too.. I seriously thought I bombed it but I guess I did well enough haha It was the most awkward test I have ever taken haha