PDA

View Full Version : Going back to SOI?

dsmit302
05-11-11, 09:56 AM
I've been out a couple of years, and thinking of joining a local reserve unit. I got out as a SGT, and I'm an 0311. The only slots they have open for SGT's at the unit are 41's. So, I'd have to go back to SOI. Has anyone done this? What's the experience like?

I've heard a couple of rumors and I'm wondering if they are true.

Rumors
1. NCO's don't have to stay in the barracks.
a. NCO's can leave at night (Schedule permitting) and come back in the morning.
2. NCO's can have a POV while they're there?
3. I'd only have to attend the second half.
a. I have the feeling that with my luck they'd make me do it all over again.

Thanks ahead of time for you comments.

Crusader20
05-11-11, 11:54 AM
Question? Why would they send you to SOI for '41's as a SGT? They could use you as the Section leader and have you learn the system with time in grade and MOS field time. I knew several LCPL's that were '11's that had their 2nd MOS as '41's and '31's. But they never went to SOI to learn it. They did it in the field. And then GYSGT signed off that they were qualified. Just a question.

dsmit302
05-11-11, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure, but I'll have to ask my recruiter about that. You're not the first person to bring that up to me. I'm not sure if it's a policy change or not. It might be different for the fleet as opposed to a reserve unit.

dsmit302
05-11-11, 02:21 PM
"Typically yes Marines (Active/Reserve) can OJT certain MOS's and the CO can approve additional MOS's to Marines,
However due to a Marine being off-contract, the requirements from HQMC are specific, They only consider Marines that are an MOS match and valid vacancy in the unit......"

That's the response I got from my recruiter. Since I'm out of the IRR as well, I have to do it the hard way.
</pre>

TheReservist
05-11-11, 02:48 PM
Have you talked with the I&I of the unit that you're trying to join? Depending on the unit, it could happen a couple ways, as they may OJT you because they have no funds..

brian0351
05-13-11, 01:06 AM
Correct, it happened to me back in '03. I was a 0351 getting ready to fill a 0352 slot. They told me that as long as the unit wasn't activated that I could join. Get OJT and for my 2 weeks in the summer I would go to a course to get me the 0352 MOS.

Well they activated and sent me to SOI again. To answer your questions about going back.

As a SGT you will be staying in a separate berthing area away from the troops. Your POV is up to the discretion of the Company CO/1stSgt. Once classes were over I was on my own. I outranked most of the instructors so they left me to do what I wanted to do. Just as long as you keep your test scores up, don't drop out of hump and don't make them look bad. You will be left alone.

As for picking up with a class...that depends on any deals your unit makes. I was unfortunate enough to have to go back through the 03xx package. And as a result missed out on going to Iraq with my unit!

ritter
05-14-11, 01:12 AM
1. NCO's don't have to stay in the barracks.
You will be staying in the Barracks

a. NCO's can leave at night (Schedule permitting) and come back in the morning.
NCOs had to stay there at night but were allowed a little lenience

2. NCO's can have a POV while they're there?
Yes, but you’ll have to park it on the other side of the Parade Deck.

3. I'd only have to attend the second half.
Since you are already an 11 then you will only have to go through the second part.

I know this because I went through SOI early 2010 as a Sgt and got the 51 MOS. Everything is different within each company but generally its all the same.

devilbones2
05-16-11, 05:48 AM
What if you are not an 03 going to SOI as a SGT? I was thinking of lat moving.

ritter
05-16-11, 11:25 PM
If you are a non 03 lat moving to the 03 field then you will have to go through the common skills package along with your MOS package. As a Sgt you won't really be required to do as much since you should have most of the knowledge being taught but you'll still learn some good stuff. I went as someone lat moving to the 03 field and attended the both parts of the course. Just make sure you are in shape and don't fall out on the humps or runs, if you can perform during those evolutions the instructors should more or less leave you alone. It's a great course as a Sgt, and I wouldn't mind going through it again. Best of luck to you!

usmc1984
06-03-11, 04:43 AM
Im heading to SOI as a Sgt as well, i believe to Pendelton. Im doing a LAT move into 0313 LAV CrewMan! I deployed with them and it just sparked my interest. Now im hearing mixed reviews on NCO's going to SOI. I read everyones post on here about being in separate barracks and etc. Obvs I would be required to do the humps, pt, and required training. I just Qualified 9 days ago at the range and complete both PFT & CFT. Do i have to requal again or is there only certain training NCO's have to complete while at SOI?