PDA

View Full Version : Real Deal Seal; Founding Member

advanced
05-09-11, 12:33 PM
I was over in Melbourne, FL for the weekend at the Vietnam and all Veterans Reunion. Met a lot of good people and got to hear Ross Perot and some others give some good talks.

After the parade of the different veterans groups I went over to some trees to get out of the hot sun for awhile. I sat down on a picnic table bench and I saw a lot of commotion at one of the other tables. There was this older guy there wearing a Seal hat and I watched about 20+ people come up to him and shake his hand and compliment him on being a Seal. I sat there and watched him some and watched the people all around him. I could see he was getting tired of it.

After he stood up he looked at me, walked over to me and asked me if I was a poser or the real deal. I still had my vest on from the parade with my cpl stripe and Nam patches so I told him I wasn't an officer or a gunny and I didn't have the medal of honor. I said I was just a Parris Island Marine out of the 60's. Then he surprised me and asked if he could sit down. He sat down next to me eyeball to eyeball and introduced himself as Chief Jim "Patches" Watson from the old Seal Team 2. He was ****ed because he had just run into a "Seal Poser" he said. He had walked up to a guy who was wearing the Seal pin, tri something or other and had a silver star pin on. When the Chief asked him which team he was with the poser said team 3. Well Jim explained there was no team 3. I said that we Marines ran into that quite often. F'in poser this, f'in poser that, the Chief was ****ed. He began telling me of Seal history. He did 3 tours in Nam and was one of the Seals that wrote the book, he came from the old UD bunch.

Real interesting man. He gave me his card and the names of a couple of books he had written; Point Man and another; Walking Point. Maybe someone here has read one of them. We talked intently for about 30 minutes, still eyeball to eyeball, and only one guy interrupted us to shake the Chief's hand real fast.

As I could see my wife was getting bored I finally stood up and told the Chief it was a pleasure meeting him. He told me Cpl, the pleasure was all mine and he asked who I had served with. He told me he had heard of us, we had quite the reputation; though he was never in I Corps, the Seals were all down in the delta. Kinda made my day to meet such a real hero in person.

Old Marine
05-09-11, 12:38 PM
I like it.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-10-11, 12:35 AM
Patches is indeed, a living legend. Good deal Russ you got to meet him up close and personal!

(I sure wouldn't want to be the pozer who got nailed by HIM).

MGySgtSki
05-10-11, 01:00 AM
That's some good stuff right there, brother!!

Good thing you didn't run into Dick Marcinco. I hear he's a total tool.

advanced
05-10-11, 03:52 AM
Yes, meeting Patches was a real treat, he's 74 now. The only thing that kind of tee'd me off was when he said he'd done 3 Nam tours and I said 1 was enough for me, he said the difference was they were the "Professionals" - like we weren't. I didn't let on though.

The man was quite a talker and I learned a lot. He was the curator of the Seal Museum on the key at Ft. Pierce, FL for 10 years. He gave me his home and cell phone # and told me to call him if I would like to visit the museum, he said he'd give me a guided tour so I'd get the real history of the Seals. I'll probably do that next month or so.

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
05-11-11, 04:28 AM
Chief Jim "Patches" Watson is in fact a living Legend... Pretty humble Feller till his feathers are ruffled n look out he's the Cawk a the Walk!!! I met him a few times while on active service at Knife Shows in the early days of Military Knife Makers Guild etc...

ChuckH
05-11-11, 07:46 AM
Chief Jim "Patches" Watson

Chief Jim "Patches" Watson is the Curator Emeritus of UTD-SEAL Museum in Ft. Pierce, FL

An original plank owner of SEAL Team Two, Jim served three tours in Vietnam.
An original plank owner of SEAL Team Two, Jim served three tours in Vietnam as platoon chief earning sixteen combat decorations, four of which are Bronze Stars all with Combat "V". Many people know him as "Patches", the point man in Dick Marcinko's popular Rouge Warrior book series.

During the twenty year span of his career in the United States Navy, Jim Watson attended twenty-five training schools, spent eleven years as an active-duty SEAL, including one year as an Agency-sponsored advisor with the PRU (Provincial Reconnaissance Unit), and served on eleven missions into Cambodia with the Vietnamese LDNN (Lien Doc Nguoi Nhai, Vietnamese SEAL counterparts trained by Americans).

His career has afforded him the opportunity to meet many people, which he shares in his Gallery and his pride in his Team Mates has lead him to ask for the creation of a Memorial Page for those who gave their lives.

Military training schools like Marine Escape and Evasion, which seemed undecided on whether to beat you or starve you, helped forge the toughness and improvisational skills required by Navy SEALs. Jim Watson has worked with the finest, both as student and later as educator.
Watson has authored two books Point Man and Walking Point, both published by William Morrow and Company, and also co-produced Ambush!, a video tape of SEAL combat tactics in Vietnam for the exclusive L.O.T.I. Group Production Company. He also delivers motivational seminars defining the value of teamwork and projects status.

Cpl Heglar
05-11-11, 09:30 AM
Hey Chuck you didn't post a link to the website:

http://www.realseal.org/

I am sure it will get more than it's fair share of visits.

ChuckH
05-11-11, 12:01 PM
I was having trouble with posting this morning...
I saved a photo from his site that showed him with a good friend of mine
CMOH reciepient Sammy L Davis...
I gave up trying... LOL

Tennessee Top
05-11-11, 12:16 PM
I am also a member of a bass fishing forum. One of the members there claims to be a former SEAL. Don't know if he is or isn't and don't want to challenge him about it. Will just give him the benefit of doubt unless proven otherwise.

Cpl Heglar
05-11-11, 01:00 PM
Yea Top I just listen as well and move on. I wouldn't want to ****off a real deal seal by challenging his enlistment.