PDA

View Full Version : Guide, squad leader, scribe and other jobs at boot?

jeonpaolo
05-09-11, 12:42 AM
Alright who else is going to shoot for Guide or squad leader or any of the other jobs at boot? I know I am for sure, no matter how much its gonna suck. already the guide at my rss.

My SSGT told me to not be one of those recruits who just wanna get by bootcamp. So I'm gonna shoot for the big stuff. How bout you guys?

IHaveEGA843
05-09-11, 08:09 AM
I'm just going to shoot to do the best I can because theres things I will not be able to beat my fellow Recruits at ie run times.

Honcho1010
05-09-11, 09:01 AM
Alright who else is going to shoot for Guide or squad leader or any of the other jobs at boot? I know I am for sure, no matter how much its gonna suck. already the guide at my rss.

My SSGT told me to not be one of those recruits who just wanna get by bootcamp. So I'm gonna shoot for the big stuff. How bout you guys?

Same thing my recruiter told me. He tells all of us he regrets only being the general population because he knew he could do more. I plan to work hard and not hold back in order to avoid harder leadership roles. I'm pretty pumped, a guy from my recruiting station shipped this morning and im sure he will be squad leader, running a 8:23 1.5 mile...

SheDevilPup
05-09-11, 09:04 AM
I'm definitely gonna fight hard to be guide and company honorwoman. If I'm gonna be the best in my platoon, might as well fight to be the best out of the entire battalion that's graduating right?

PARKER93
05-09-11, 12:20 PM
Everyone going to boot should try to be guide or squad leader. I stongly dislike those who go in with the mentality of just getting by under the radar. But good luck to all those who do want to try their hardest yall motivate me.

USMC Infantry
05-09-11, 12:25 PM
I'll be hiding in the Neverland Ranch. The DI's will never find me there..

jeonpaolo
05-09-11, 05:02 PM
Everyone going to boot should try to be guide or squad leader. I stongly dislike those who go in with the mentality of just getting by under the radar. But good luck to all those who do want to try their hardest yall motivate me.

:thumbup: motivate on brah! ahaha

Gunstream
05-09-11, 05:13 PM

I think yours is a foolish mentality. The fact of the matter is, the most qualified recruit doesn't necessarily accomplish any of those goals. The DI's undoubtedly know it. It's all part of the game to them.

My goal is to do everything I can to the best of my ability and with the greatest effort I can possibly muster. If that equates to guide, squad leader, scribe, or company honor man, great! If it doesn't, I'll be able to honestly say, at the end of the day, that my failures to accomplish any of those was through no fault of mine.

BulldogD2
05-10-11, 07:19 PM
I think yours is a foolish mentality. The fact of the matter is, the most qualified recruit doesn't necessarily accomplish any of those goals. The DI's undoubtedly know it. It's all part of the game to them.

My goal is to do everything I can to the best of my ability and with the greatest effort I can possibly muster. If that equates to guide, squad leader, scribe, or company honor man, great! If it doesn't, I'll be able to honestly say, at the end of the day, that my failures to accomplish any of those was through no fault of mine.

I'm with Gunstream, everyone here in Pool(ee) Hall can talk about how they want to get guide, squad leader etc.. But the fact is earning The Title of Marine is what matters. Perform your best everyday, push your limits and improve. The reality is none of us have been to San Diego or PI yet and once we are there all bets, bragging, and expectations go out the window. DI's decide who is what and you'll like it. So take pride in doing your best and working hard because at the end of the day, you signed up to become A MARINE. So PT and let the DI's handle the assigning after you actually hit the yellow footprints.:evilgrin:

IHaveEGA843
05-10-11, 07:32 PM
I remember a Marine who was a Poolee at the time claiming he was going to grad Guide/Squad leader and not be slick sleeved. He trained hard at the gym while he was still in the DEP and lost alot of weight quick.

You know what?

He never got the PFC he wanted nor Guide or Squad Leader. He got the title Marine though.

I would love to grad Guide or Squad leader or even Scribe. There's so many factors into these rolls for one to do. I do doubt myself at times and then exceed my expectations but I just feel regardless I won't have any of those titles while being a Recruit.

I know Scribe is out the door because my hand writing is ****!

Gunstream
05-10-11, 08:12 PM
I'm with Gunstream, everyone here in Pool(ee) Hall can talk about how they want to get guide, squad leader etc.. But the fact is earning The Title of Marine is what matters. Perform your best everyday, push your limits and improve. The reality is none of us have been to San Diego or PI yet and once we are there all bets, bragging, and expectations go out the window. DI's decide who is what and you'll like it. So take pride in doing your best and working hard because at the end of the day, you signed up to become A MARINE. So PT and let the DI's handle the assigning after you actually hit the yellow footprints.:evilgrin:

Exactly! I was talking to a guy in my anthropology class who was an Enlisted Marine for 6 years. He told me about his squad in boot. His squad leader was flawless, the shoe-in for company honor man. This guy was a 300 PFT'er, knew all his history and commands going in, was a college graduate, and knew how to stay quiet and get the job done. Then, about 10 weeks into training, he made a critical mistake. He brought the DI his cup of coffee with a couple bubbles floating on top. The DI accused him of spitting in the coffee (knowing good and d*mn well the recruit hadn't spit in it). The DI stripped him of squad leader, which kept him from being honor man. On top of that, the recruit still had to bring the DI his coffee every morning, but he had to stir it 54 times to the left, 56 times to the right, and pop all the bubbles with the tip of the spoon.

I don't care how well you prepare, nobody can be prepared from some BS like that. That's the whole point. The don't want you to be completely prepared. Plus, saying "I want to be XXXXX" undermines the fact that there's a possibility you might not make "Marine."

MunkyVsRobot
05-10-11, 08:35 PM
Only reason I'd try to get a job would be to get scribe so I can make sure I get a Firewatch right before I wake up or the first firewatch of the evening. Other than those instances my goal is EGA once you graduate all that stuff means nothing.

Unless you are a douche to your platoon in which case retribution is dealt later on.

MunkyVsRobot
05-10-11, 08:40 PM

Ever hear the phrase "Too many chiefs and not enough indians?" Well that would be exactly that.

Everyone trying to be the leader would just mess everything up, in my humble opinion.

IHaveEGA843
05-11-11, 06:10 AM
Preach Munky Preach!!!!

Alot of big business have this affect. Everybody wants power over others and don't know how to use it or don't have leadership traits to go with the job.

If I was to be considered Guide it would be soley off my leadership traits and willing to help others when they need help.

Regardless, if my Guide is a dumbass and is just power hungry I'll glady state it when time permits. I would want a Guide who can lead by example that will make others strive to do their best. That Marine/Former Recruit on Ears.Open.Eyeballs.Click would of gotten a nice cussing out behind the scenes.

ChrrySkoal
05-11-11, 09:34 AM
All I want is the Title, if anything comes with it fine its good and all but it doesnt mean much after. Earning the title of a United States Marine does, forever.:usmc: